Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Cesarean

(47 Posts)
Nana56 Sun 31-Jul-22 16:30:27

Does anyone have experience of a c section.?
My daughter is due to have one tomorrow. She seems OK, but I feel anxious for her.
She had bad tear previously so has been advised to have c section.

T

her

Hithere Sun 31-Jul-22 16:38:47

C sections get have an undeserved bad reputation, if you ask me.

Recovery time depends on each person. Mine was very smooth.

Please do not feel anxious for her, you would not want to add it to the situation.
Your daughter is going to do very well!

VioletSky Sun 31-Jul-22 16:44:26

I had one with my 5th. It was an emergency and the recovery was harder but about the same length of time.

Any help to keep her off her feet and healing would be great. Make sure that baby is in her arms as much as possible as it helps.

But now I have a wafer thin scar you can barely see.

She will be amazing

foxie48 Sun 31-Jul-22 16:50:17

I've had 2, the first with a GA, the second with an epidural. IMO they are no big deal, I had my epidural in 1989 and came out of hospital the next day with a few painkillers and told not to lift anything heavy for a while. I was totally fine, as was my daughter and I made a very quick recovery. My daughter is an anaesthetist who often works on Obs and gyny, she does loads of C sections usually with an epidural and she says patient attitude is very important, try not to let your daughter know you are anxious. I'm sure it will be fine.

choughdancer Sun 31-Jul-22 16:50:58

I had two and recovered well and quickly. I would recommend that she gets up and walking as soon as she can, even though it's painful (obviously with medical approval!). Wishing her the very best!

Soroptimum Sun 31-Jul-22 16:51:40

I have had 2 Caesarians, one emergency, one elective. (2nd and 3rd babies) My first baby was a horrible protracted labour so I know which type of birth I prefer. There was an 11 year gap between c sections, and the recovery time was amazing.

toscalily Sun 31-Jul-22 16:51:58

All three of my DIL's have had to have C Sections for various reasons but far better to have a planned Cesarean than an emergency. I do understand that you will be anxious and awaiting that phone call, I was wandering round a garden centre trying to distract myself earlier this year awaiting news of grandchild's arrival, just as you will be tomorrow. One thing I did not know (well new to me this year) is that you are not allowed to drive for approx. 6 weeks so I would suggest your daughter checks with her insurance company if she is a driver. Best wishes to you and your family, do let us know when baby arrives.

NotSpaghetti Sun 31-Jul-22 16:52:51

Some people opt for a c-section - I think they are perfectly safe and completely "common place" now. Somewhere between a quarter and a third of UK births are caesareans. Please don't worry about your daughter.

flowers

Mattsmum2 Sun 31-Jul-22 17:04:50

I had two sections, first was an emergency and second elective. My second was the best as was awake, first was general anaesthetic. At that time I was in hospital for a week. I think now they get you out a lot sooner if all is well. Biggest thing was trying to stand up straight, was painful, moving around is important and give as much help as you can, it’s a major surgery. The biggest issue was not being able to drive for 6 weeks. Best of luck to her xxx

Galaxy Sun 31-Jul-22 17:07:33

I had an emergency c section, saved my childs life. I was fine but if I could offer any advice it's to remember its major surgery and recovery time is important, something I completely ignored.

Hithere Sun 31-Jul-22 17:12:18

I didn't wait 6 weeks to drive after csection - my doc advised me to wait till I was not taking any narcotics and felt well enough to resume semi normal life - I made it to 3 weeks, same as normal birth

henetha Sun 31-Jul-22 17:12:37

My two elder granddaughters were both caesarean. The first was an emergency as the baby became 'distressed' after a protracted labour. The second one was advised by doctors.
My daughter in law recovered quickly, but I think it made a lasting impression on her emotionally.

Hithere Sun 31-Jul-22 17:13:49

Apologies, normal birth is any way you decide to do it or it happens

I meant to say vaginal birth

growstuff Sun 31-Jul-22 17:20:04

Make sure she has plenty of pillows. I managed to breastfeed both of mine by having pillows on my lap and getting them positioned, so I didn't have to do any lifting. I was discharged from hospital next day after my second.

Fleurpepper Sun 31-Jul-22 17:32:40

Galaxy

I had an emergency c section, saved my childs life. I was fine but if I could offer any advice it's to remember its major surgery and recovery time is important, something I completely ignored.

Same here, same advice. Second baby was natural delivery.

She will be fine and she is lucky to have you to help afterwards.

But why would anyone actually choose to have major surgery instead of vaginal birth, as is so often the case, beats me totally.

Georgesgran Sun 31-Jul-22 17:45:26

DD2 had to have a C-section by GA, as attempts at an epidural failed miserably, due to her spinal condition. Obviously, she has a pre-existing condition - she can’t walk - so recovery wasn’t easy and the wound became infected. Her biggest problem was conflicting advice from the Hospital re. the wound/stitches/compression stockings/medication.
Thankfully, all a distant memory and DGS2 is thriving. I wish I could post a picture, but of course, I can’t.

Sara1954 Sun 31-Jul-22 17:51:36

Two of my children and three of my grandchildren were C-sections.
Apart from the obvious discomfort (in no way as bad as the discomfort of stitches in a far more painful area, as with my first child) I was absolutely fine.

Home after a week. And with no problem whatever.

Purpledaffodil Sun 31-Jul-22 18:11:55

DD, and DILs have all had sections. One three years ago and two within last 6 months. Only DD was a planned CS. Recovery time varied but lifting even baby best avoided. Breast feeding can be harder at first if that is her plan, although all three managed it and two were first time mothers. Good luck!

Nana56 Sun 31-Jul-22 18:21:37

Thanks for all your comments. She doesn't know I'm anxious. With first child she had grade 4 tear and was worried she would be incontinent. She knows recovery will take up to weeks

Nannytopsy Sun 31-Jul-22 18:21:56

I had two and would recommend them every time!! Hoping my DD has one in the next week or so. Midwife arrived after second to find me coming down
the stairs with my toddler on my hip. “Oh, you’re OK then!” Was her comment.

Hithere Sun 31-Jul-22 18:51:38

Why would somebody choose surgery over natural birth?

Easy, if you do not trust your doctor will follow your wishes for the birth and take them into account - vs doing what is more comfortable for the doctor.

My birth plan clearly said "no episiotomy unless absolutely needed"
The doc wanted to do it so birth would faster

Obstretitian violence and abuse very much exists, sadly

MawtheMerrier Sun 31-Jul-22 19:12:38

All that matters is a healthy baby and a healthy mum.
I had all 4 delivered via the sun roof as there was no alternative.. Baby 1 was an emergency section, he would have died otherwise, maybe me too, and the 3 girls by elective section.
If she has been so advised, this is the best option.
Just look forward to the new baby and relax! Your job is to be on hand if and when she needs a hand once your grandchild is here.

pinkprincess Sun 31-Jul-22 21:04:36

Both of my children were born by emergency caesarean section after I had developed life threatening complications in labour.Without them neither myself nor my two sons would be here today.My five grandchildren and two great grandchildren would not have even existed.
One of my grandchildren who was a premature baby was also born by emergency caesarean section.She was very ill when born but is now a healthy 26 year old.
Both of mine were under general anaesthetic but that was routine in those days.I never saw either until they were two days old as they had breathing difficulties and I was not too well either but times have changed a lot since then.The breathing problems were due to the complications in labour which were the cause of the emergency births.
My DIL had hers under epidural and had a quick recovery but my DGD being a tiny premature baby had to remain in hospital till she was five weeks old.
All the best to your daughter.Please keep us updated

62Granny Sun 31-Jul-22 21:32:48

As your daughter is a pre planned C section her recovery should hopefully be easier than if she had a long labour then an emergency . I had one 40 years ago and my daughter last year. They usually do them with a spinal block (epidural) these days which means she will be sedated but awake to see her baby straight away which is much nicer for them all. Good luck to everyone ??

Oldnproud Sun 31-Jul-22 21:38:48

My DiL has just had her second caesarian section. Both were necessary, for different reasons.

The first time, she was home after 2 days, and this time after 1.

She has recovered well both times, though not surprisingly, having undergone an operation, she has needed more rest for several weeks than would probably have been needed after a natural birth.

She has been told not to drive until she she is given the all-clear at six weeks. If she were to ignore that instruction, her insurance would be invalid