Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Glory hole - do you have one? Where is it? ~What's in it?

(56 Posts)
PollyDolly Sat 06-Aug-22 17:19:42

I will kick this off - ours is the old boiler cupboard and it is used for the vacuum cleaner, oft weeping brush for the hard flooring, boxes of cereals, car keys on hooks, and umpteen other bits and pieces.

Just a bit of lighthearted. fun for the weekend.

Maggiemaybe Sat 06-Aug-22 17:42:25

Just a little word to the wise, PollyDolly - I believe glory hole has another meaning these days blush

But in the spirit of the thread, I’ve got to admit that our whole massive cellar is one big storage dump for anything we’re going to get round to sorting out (eventually). A cupboard just wouldn’t suffice.

AmberSpyglass Sat 06-Aug-22 17:46:04

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk guidelines.

BlueBelle Sat 06-Aug-22 17:48:07

I was just going to give the same warning maggiemaybe my grandkids nearly fell off their chairs when I mentioned having a glory hole
Do look it up pollydolly it’s probably not what you’re thinking but a whole lot worse
But yes I have one with all my bags costs and a very untidy chest of drawers full of craft and painting stuff

BlueBelle Sat 06-Aug-22 17:49:53

I think pollyDolly has been on the site a while amber

Aldom Sat 06-Aug-22 17:53:38

Message deleted by Gransnet for repeating a deleted post.

Pittcity Sat 06-Aug-22 17:55:10

We used to call it a glory hole back in the day. I also had an uncle Dick.
They are now the cupboard under the stairs and Uncle Richard because of the other meanings!!!

To answer the OP. Henry the vacuum cleaner lives there with the gas meter, step ladder, mop and bucket and many other shelves, boxes and hooks of stuff.

stayanotherday Sat 06-Aug-22 17:56:12

Message deleted by Gransnet for repeating a deleted post.

Mapleleaf Sat 06-Aug-22 17:56:34

The cupboard under the stairs - all sorts of things reside in there!

Esmay Sat 06-Aug-22 17:58:50

Gloryhole!
Okay I get it !
It's another word - not to say .
Here's something that I said the other day, I'm a tea bag !
Don't ask !

Aldom Sat 06-Aug-22 17:58:58

PS Recently I innocently referred to the Glory hole and there was some sniggering from the other person. The penny soon dropped. The term has taken on a new and quite different meaning. As my husband used to say... 'To the pure all things are pure'.

icanhandthemback Sat 06-Aug-22 17:59:47

Ooh er, Missus, I certainly do but I don't normally boast about it! wink

Aldom Sat 06-Aug-22 18:07:46

Anyway, in my GH/cupboard under the stairs.... Electric smart meter. Step ladder. Long and short handled brushes and dust pan. Shopping trolley. Iron and ironing board. Stock of tissues. Bin liners. Kitchen rolls. Floor steam washer. Gtech handheld cleaner. Gtech vacuum cleaner. Box of useful tools. Basket of old newspapers. Stock of groceries in case of shortages this coming winter.
All neat and tidy.

Esmay Sat 06-Aug-22 18:11:18

My gloryhole (!) is a garden shed .

And here's something that I don't want to explain again -hardening off referring to plants , of course .

I saw the suppressed amusement and then when the men thought that I was out of earshot - a massive explosion of laughter !

Whiff Sat 06-Aug-22 18:35:46

PollyDolly do you know what a glory hole is? If you don't either Google it or as members of your family.

As it's not what you think it is. ??

MerylStreep Sat 06-Aug-22 18:40:26

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk guidelines.

BlueBelle Sat 06-Aug-22 18:41:50

It’s definitely NOT what you all think it is I agree whiff
It’s much much worse than what might be presumed I couldn’t believe it was for real when I first heard

Georgesgran Sat 06-Aug-22 18:43:54

I’ve renamed mine the Hell Holes - hope that hasn’t got another meaning. It’s both the garage and the loft above. It wouldn’t be so bad, if DDs didn’t keep bringing me their stuff over to store. I’ve enough baby equipment to set up a branch of Mothercare and DD2 has just added her A level Art projects - from 2001, but she says she might need them!! Really??
My understairs cupboard seems just like Aldom’s - I like order.

Hellogirl1 Sat 06-Aug-22 18:45:22

I never knew till now that there was another meaning for glory hole! Mine is the cupboard under the stairs. It contains the vacuum cleaner, long handled dustpan and brush, ironing board, electric meter and fuse box, paper shredder, photo albums (lots), clean bedding, towels, tea towels, cushion covers, spare cushions, and "the big, black bag", full of absolutely allsorts! Oh, and my shopping trolley.

blossom14 Sat 06-Aug-22 18:57:26

I have two - one under the stairs and one in what is left of spare room after loft conversion. Both are overflowing because we cleared the garage this March.
The other space that could qualify is the old airing cupboard minus old hot water tank. but that is very tidy.
I really wonder if I could fit our life into any of the so called retirement apartments that I view on Rightmove.

Cabbie21 Sat 06-Aug-22 19:12:03

My cupboard under the stairs opens into the kitchen, so it contains extra supplies of cleaning materials, bin bags, brush and dustpan, cool box, pegs, gardening coats, booze, emergency kit ( candles, torch) baking tins that don't fit elsewhere, and right at the back, a sewing machine, ( unused in this house and we have been here seven years). Also the bin.

Much more is stored in the garage and the shed, and overflows into the downstairs extension. Sigh..

Farmor15 Sat 06-Aug-22 22:03:32

Older dictionaries still give the definition of glory hole as a small room with a miscellaneous selection of objects - older GNers should not be embarrassed to continue that use!

Callistemon21 Sat 06-Aug-22 22:13:35

Ours is under the stairs.

I don't know where to start listing what's in there (macs, light coats, cotton shopping bags, boxes of yarn, fabric, a sewing box, LPs, yoga mat and blanket, crutches, a walking stick etc. Oh, a vacuum cleaner) but I did venture there today hunting for something we needed.
It's quite exciting discovering all the rubbish stuff I'd forgotten about.

No, I didn't find what I wanted.

Callistemon21 Sat 06-Aug-22 22:15:16

I have no idea about any other meaning ?

Callistemon21 Sat 06-Aug-22 22:17:10

Aldom

Anyway, in my GH/cupboard under the stairs.... Electric smart meter. Step ladder. Long and short handled brushes and dust pan. Shopping trolley. Iron and ironing board. Stock of tissues. Bin liners. Kitchen rolls. Floor steam washer. Gtech handheld cleaner. Gtech vacuum cleaner. Box of useful tools. Basket of old newspapers. Stock of groceries in case of shortages this coming winter.
All neat and tidy.

My cupboard is very low with a headcracking lintel.
Oh to have a full height, well-ordered cupboard!