Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Christmas presents in the late 50’s

(205 Posts)
OxfordGran Thu 24-Nov-22 12:39:12

Carrying on from the Thank You letters thread, Can anyone recall presents they received in say the late 50’s made to write thank you for, same stuff every year, can anyone remember

Rupert Annual
Girl Annual,
Eagle for my brother,
tiara, necklace, wand for my little sister,
immediately fell apart, Made in Taiwan
tins Sharps toffees
manicure sets
ballpoint pens and retractable pencils in a long box
woolly hats, scarves, mittens, usually itchy
diaries, sometimes with teeny tiny locks
Bath cubes
flat boxes of hankies with embroidered flowers
Weekend assorted sweets and chocolates
pencil boxes/cases/colouring pencils/
games compendiums
bicycle accessories
boxes Morny soaps, Lily of the Valley
useful things of immense educational value,
globes, encyclopaedia, stamp album, presents
children despair of

there must be many more presents of a similar nature
in people’s memory, happy reminiscing.

GrandmaCornwall Mon 28-Nov-22 14:39:24

My best memories are of the homemade toys, my dad built a sledge one year and all of out presents were piled on top of it. My mum used to knit clothes for our dolls, one year I had a dolls house another a Wendy house both made by my dad.
As an adult returning home for a visit I spotted a red and yellow object in a flowerbed in the front garden. On further investigation I discovered it was a tiny scrubbing brush from a set I had been given as a child ! The set of cleaning tools had been a Christmas present some twenty five years previous. How it got there or survived that length of time we will never know.

Lovetravel Mon 28-Nov-22 14:46:52

I have loved this thread! So many memories! We didn’t have a lot of money but my mum worked so hard to make it special. My favourite presents were ‘Choosie Susie’ doll she had a magnet in her mouth and would either attract her bottle or repel her spoon with food on lol. She smelt so amazing. New dolls always did! I had Sindy and was so excited to get a little outfit to dress her in or some plastic furniture like a wardrobe! I loved Pelham string puppets and getting one was amazing. I got the wizard for having my tonsils out when I was 5. That was so traumatic as I was on an adults ward and threatened if I didn’t stop crying for my mum she would never come back for me!! I was in for a week and bled so much. I still look back and remember how traumatic it was.
I loved getting those flat orange and lemon slices! And always a sugar mouse! Plus an apple, orange and coin at the bottom of my stocking. It was so exciting smile

Alioop Mon 28-Nov-22 15:05:20

Granmarderby10 I really loved the smell of a new doll too. I'd Tiny Tears and Teeny Tiny Tears, the best dolls in the world. I dressed them both the same clothes.
I forgot about my Spacehopper and Cadbury chocolate machine. There are some brilliant answers on this thread that have brought back really lovely memories.
My sister and I still buy each other the big tubes of Smarties, a selection box and put a satsuma in our stockings just like my mum did for us when we were kids. The tradition is still carrying on and we are in our 50's.

Galaxy62 Mon 28-Nov-22 15:49:53

Post office set and fancy stationary set