Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Anyone been outside yet?

(94 Posts)
Riverwalk Sun 04-Dec-22 09:57:46

It's 4C in London - I'm trying to convince myself that an energetic trot would do me good!

I'm still slobbing around in my fleecy dressing gown but have high hopes I'll soon stagger up off the chair, without ageing noises, and get a move on smile👟👟

Then again... it's gloomy and cold!

TillyTrotter Sun 04-Dec-22 12:16:23

4 degs in the midlands with light rain and leaden grey skies.
I don’t have to go out so I won’t. Trying to keep the house to 18/19 degs and keeping all doors closed helps.

Barmeyoldbat Sun 04-Dec-22 12:21:07

Grey, drizzle and b….y freezing outside, even Mr B said it was really cold and he doesn’t tend to feel it. So it’s a day inside, pottering around, maybe wrap Christmas preseny]ts and finish the Christmas cards. Mind you Mr B has said he is going to take me out for coffee and cake later .

Ashcombe Sun 04-Dec-22 12:31:47

It's five degrees here in Torbay but apparently, the NE wind is making it feel like one degree! I ventured out to church earlier wearing several layers for the short walk across the park but I'm glad to hibernate for the rest of he day. It's frustrating as I need to walk regularly as part of my rehabilitation programme following open heart surgery five weeks ago.

Marydoll Sun 04-Dec-22 12:35:16

I had to scrape the thick ice off my car this morning.🥶

M0nica Sun 04-Dec-22 12:59:50

Lovely day to day, 4c, I have been out raking leaves, stuffing them into a great big building material sack and taking them to the tip. I live in a village. Our house is surrounded by trees, none of which are ours. Raking leaves? Best gardening job of the year, warmly wrapped, surrounded by the smell of winter and dead leaves. Everyone saying 'hallo' as they pass by.

I have just come in back aching and with cold rosy cheeks. Lunch is in the oven. What more could I want?

MrsKen33 Sun 04-Dec-22 13:02:05

S west Wales and it’s freezing. Thought to go out and rake the masses of leaves up this morning, but far too cold. Fire lit and will read the papers. Sainsbury’s coming soon, so a cup of tea and an Ethelfechan tart. Bliss

Norah Sun 04-Dec-22 13:11:15

The dogs have been on their wake up and lunch walks, we've been to Church, and now it's time to cook. It's 5 and feels a bit like Christmas.

HousePlantQueen Sun 04-Dec-22 13:18:27

M0nica

Lovely day to day, 4c, I have been out raking leaves, stuffing them into a great big building material sack and taking them to the tip. I live in a village. Our house is surrounded by trees, none of which are ours. Raking leaves? Best gardening job of the year, warmly wrapped, surrounded by the smell of winter and dead leaves. Everyone saying 'hallo' as they pass by.

I have just come in back aching and with cold rosy cheeks. Lunch is in the oven. What more could I want?

Exactly like our morning here Monica!. It's chilly and grey, but the leaves in the front garden were piling up, so out we went, an hour of raking, bending and lifting soon warmed us up. Chat with passing dog walking neighbours. So inspired by the burst of activity that I dragged the Henry out of the garage and vacuumed the car interior while Dh gave the front lawn what we hope will be it's final cut of the year. Now inside with a warm glow; bit of hard work and the satisfaction of a job well done.

Callistemon21 Sun 04-Dec-22 13:22:53

Our house is surrounded by trees, none of which are ours.

Ditto, they blow into heaps against our house and garage.

DH bought a pair of giant plastic tongs, excellent for picking up leaves.

halfpint1 Sun 04-Dec-22 13:27:39

2°c in Central France, heavy rain/snow , so grey it feels like
night is setting in.

JdotJ Tue 06-Dec-22 11:06:32

I'm in London and the sun is shining, it's crisp, clear and cold. What's not to love ❤️

Norah Tue 06-Dec-22 11:10:32

We're ready to walk dogs, again, it's 3 and rainy. Not pleasant.

Hetty58 Tue 06-Dec-22 11:17:02

My little dog went out in the garden, had her breakfast - and went straight back to bed. My morning walk will be a lunchtime one now! I'm glad I got a new warm coat, a long one to cover my creaky old knees.

HiPpyChick57 Tue 06-Dec-22 11:25:28

4 here in South Wales. Off work at the moment due to loss of cartilage in my hip.
Let the dog out looked really chilly out there.
Haven’t been out yet sat here with heating off.
Fully clothed with a huge fleece top over my normal clothes. Not an Oodie but I shall be investing in one as everyone is saying how brilliant they are.
Will have to go out later to deliver a sick paper to work.
Hopefully it will warm up later then I’ll make a dash.
Well it won’t be a really fast dash given my cronky hip.

tickingbird Tue 06-Dec-22 11:28:36

Was supposed to but couldn’t face it. About to wrap and venture out though,

grannydarkhair Tue 06-Dec-22 11:28:41

Sunny and cold up here in Dundee, lovely blue sky, barely any clouds and no wind. Perfect winter day ❤️

MrsKen33 Tue 06-Dec-22 11:31:35

Very cold but sunny in S W Wales. Haven’t been out yet .

Yammy Tue 06-Dec-22 11:38:18

Very cold and sunny here in the North,no wind or cloud, just had a very bracing walk.

Nannatwiglet Tue 06-Dec-22 11:38:26

5* in West Yorkshire today. A lovely sunny morning. Not too chilly, if you’re well wrapped up! A little frost on car windows earlier. Good day for a brisk walk in comfortable shoes or leaf-clearing in the garden to bring a glow to the cheeks!

Hetty58 Tue 06-Dec-22 11:39:07

HiPpyChick57, it seems to me that these oodies are similar to my (must be 20 odd years old) 'cold weather blanket dress'. It's just two blankets, hand sewn together, with gaps for hands and head.

Strictly just for indoor wear, over normal clothes, of course, from a grim time when we had some heaters - but no central heating. Now I tend to get dressed, then add a dressing gown - easier to put on or remove.

hazel93 Tue 06-Dec-22 11:40:50

Gosh, it's Cornwall and not raining ! In fact quite lovely, sunny, albeit a tad brisk.
Morning walk at the beach was pure delight until yet again found two dead birds, fairly sure Avian Flu , I so wish a vaccine could be found.

EEJit Tue 06-Dec-22 11:53:34

Just outside Lincoln and we have beautiful blue sky with fluffy white clouds and glorious sunshine, but it's a trap, it's flipping cold.

bevisp1 Tue 06-Dec-22 11:54:48

Here in the south down Portsmouth way it’s cold but it’s very sunny, nice for a walk

HiPpyChick57 Tue 06-Dec-22 12:01:19

Hetty58

HiPpyChick57, it seems to me that these oodies are similar to my (must be 20 odd years old) 'cold weather blanket dress'. It's just two blankets, hand sewn together, with gaps for hands and head.

Strictly just for indoor wear, over normal clothes, of course, from a grim time when we had some heaters - but no central heating. Now I tend to get dressed, then add a dressing gown - easier to put on or remove.

That sounds so lovely and warm. What a good idea. I’ve loads of fleecy blankets that I could do that with.
I also wear a dressing gown over my clothes too.

jaybee66 Tue 06-Dec-22 12:01:28

5 degrees but sunny and a beautiful blue sky here in Worthing.