Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Belching Loudly🤦‍♀️

(66 Posts)
NorfolkNonna Mon 30-Jan-23 12:57:36

MIL died last summer so FIL (87) is invited most weeks for family Sunday dinner. But he belches - very loudly, frequently and it’s extremely off putting. Clearly was the done thing with them - but we hate it. What do I do🤦‍♀️🤦‍♀️😡

nadateturbe Thu 02-Feb-23 14:04:00

lizzypopbottle

I repeat: There's absolutely no need to make a disgusting noise. Keep lips sealed and the burp comes out, silently, down the nose. It's called consideration for others, which is the basis of good manners.

lizzypopbottle Well maybe for you, but not for me.

4allweknow Thu 02-Feb-23 14:13:02

In some cultures and very civilised ones at that eg Japanese, belching after eating is regarded as high praise. You'll need to monitor to assess if the belching is constantly repeated as may well need attention or if it is just habit following food.

Mollygo Thu 02-Feb-23 14:30:18

My DB used to do this and thought it was funny. He rejected requests not to do it, saying he couldn’t help it.
His mother-in-law-to-be told him that if he must do that, he should leave the table first. He never did it at home or our house again.
Maybe telling your Father in law the same thing might work.

Gundy Thu 02-Feb-23 14:51:14

Good lord, the man must have an age-related medical problem that could be fixed with some medication, or, he was never taught good table manners.

He’s not going to change his manners at this age, so maybe an occasional Tums before eating in his presence might help.

The downside to this is if there are young children present - they might find it uproariously funny and start imitating him.
Cheers!

Kathmaggie Thu 02-Feb-23 15:25:01

My DH has pancreatic cancer and struggles with both wind ( burping) and flatulence. This embarrasses him. Once on a flight a passenger in front of me was emitting an awful smell - how I cursed him! I now try not to judge anyone as you never know the circumstances! You could possibly try by asking him if could bring up his wind a little quieter.

grannyro Thu 02-Feb-23 17:31:26

When I was young we had an aunt who did the same. Nothing helped and we just all thought it was funny!

Nagmad2016 Thu 02-Feb-23 18:52:04

I don't suppose he does it to offend you. I have reflux problems, comes with old age, and I do burp loudly (mainly when I am alone) as trying to suppress a burp can be quite painful. I always pardon myself if in company, but sometimes it just can't be helped.

lixy Thu 02-Feb-23 21:49:38

As well as the thoughts above about talking with him, he may need to change his diet - gluten free might help to relieve bloating.

Hetty58 Thu 02-Feb-23 21:53:53

NorfolkNonna, for Heaven's sake - he's 87 and burps - so what? I think the only 'problem' is your intolerance.

suelld Thu 02-Feb-23 22:17:38

Aonk - Absolutely agree, I have the same issue and (as was a thread on GN some while ago) Statins cause bad wind too.
We don’t know enough about this elderly gent to really discuss this fully yet - Is this a permanent issue that helps relieve him him after a meal? Is it a LEARNED habit from his lifestyle? Has he done this all his life? Is it medical - whatever the answer this man is nearly 90, and in my view is welcome to relieve his wind problem after his meal. It may be offensive and unpleasant to some, but it also may be something he can’t help. Like other posters I would advise asking him why he does it as nicely as poss and if it’s a ‘thing’ of old age, and probably medical, LEAVE him alone!
I’m 76 and have a similar wind issue, I have IBS too, and Asthma which, as a side issue, makes me inhale air whilst I eat.
So I invariably burp after or even during a meal. Luckily I live alone, and mainly eat alone, and it doesn’t happen all the time. In public I try to be circumspect or apologise if a ‘big’ one occurs - but I can’t help it! Have empathy - this might be YIU one day in the not too distant future (Perhaps warn the other guests to ignore?).

henetha Thu 02-Feb-23 22:31:56

It's unpleasant certainly and he should make some effort to control it or at least apologise. However, he probably can't help it. The elderly often have digestive issues as younger people might find out one day. So don't let's be mean about him. It's not nice and definitely not funny.

Grantanow Tue 14-Feb-23 14:51:10

A medical friend told me that suppressing a sneeze or other gaseous emanation could overpressure the airways and lead to them splitting. Much better to let the air and gas out, I think.

Dee1012 Tue 14-Feb-23 15:04:25

I learnt polite and acceptable behaviour at a very young age but in my late 50's was diagnosed with severe bowel disease....it's debilitating, painful and hugely embarrassing. It's affected many aspects of my life despite medical treatment.
Some of the comments here are so judgemental!
Yes, some people are just rude / mannerless but I'd also suggest a little kindness and empathy and remembering that if there is a medical problem - not all people want to share it.

Happygirl79 Tue 14-Feb-23 15:22:29

Oh dear. It's unfortunate for him and yourselves that he has a digestive problem. Personally, I would feel quite sick if someone was doing that around me . As others have recommended, perhaps offer Rennies or similar

pascal30 Tue 14-Feb-23 15:28:41

faye17

Just as some people can't help belching loudly I just cannot eat if someone is doing this at the table
However I honestly find that if the person minimises the belch by covering their mouth with their hand and saying excuse me it's more tolerable.
Good manners learnt in our childhood rarely leave us as we age.

completely agree.