Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Thermal underwear

(40 Posts)
ExDancer Thu 09-Mar-23 12:21:59

For years I thought Damart was the the 'go to' place for thermal vests, but after buying one from M&S I realise they are no different.
I am very troubled by the cold weather (unlike DH) and am pretty miserable all winter.
I am currently wearing 2 damart vests, a tee shirt and a jumper, plus a gilet indoors - and I'm frozen. My hands and even my nose are cold.
Can anyone recommend a truly warm source of thermal underwear?
I don't care how unglamorous it is!

Kalu Fri 10-Mar-23 15:21:48

I wear two long sleeved silk thermal tops and matching long johns, not the silky drawers Marylin may have worn Maw 😂Cashmere jumpers, socks and a silk scarf round my neck. I have also knitted two alpaca triangular shawls to throw over my shoulders. For whatever reason, I am feeling the cold much more this winter than I ever did. Ocassionally use a heated throw of a fake fur one if I sit for long periods. Poor circulation at this age is my guess.
M&S thermals are good too, just thicker than the silk numbers.

Kalu Fri 10-Mar-23 15:26:11

Wouldn’t say they were terribly stylish but I recently bought a pair of quilted/puffa type trousers on EBay. Can’t recommend them highly enough for keeping legs warm all day, good in the garden too.

Kalu Fri 10-Mar-23 15:27:43

OR a fake fur one.

Kalu Fri 10-Mar-23 15:31:55

The quilted trousers.

I will say no more on the subject now!

ayse Fri 10-Mar-23 17:42:49

I feel the cold especially in my hands and feet. Over the last 3 or so years I’ve bought wool jumpers (merino with cashmere). They’ve become very expensive but I’m very glad I have. I wear merino base layers now courtesy of my daughter but used to wear M&S thermals. I wear thermal tights over cord trousers. My latest find are Nordic socks. They’re very thick and warm worn under boots a half size too big. A couple of years ago I bought some fur gloves (rabbit probably) and found a long sheepskin jacket in the Red Cross shop @ £30. Finally I have two woolly hats ,beanie type plus a very soft woollen scarf.

Yesterday I was absolutely roasted when I collected the grandchildren from school.

I’d go for natural fibres all the time as I’ve finally found a way to keep warm on bitterly cold days.

ayse Fri 10-Mar-23 17:44:12

Thermal tights UNDER cord trousers😬. Jeans are not warm either.

Humbertbear Fri 10-Mar-23 21:46:35

When I visited Antarctica I wore a base layer (wool, thermal) from Uniqlo and then their Heat Tech range over the top. If anything, I was too warm.

NotSpaghetti Fri 10-Mar-23 22:16:39

ayse

Thermal tights UNDER cord trousers😬. Jeans are not warm either.

I was trying to imagine that! grin

2J8DATLAS Fri 10-Mar-23 23:26:20

I recommend Uniqlo Heatech thermals too

ExDancer Sat 11-Mar-23 08:42:18

I will look into this Humbertbear I'd love to be too warm! Thankyou.

NotSpaghetti Sat 11-Mar-23 10:16:44

I have tried to buy for my husband on Uniqlo.
Never have his size. He is not not huge or small.
I looked again thus morning and the items he would wear are unavailable again.

NotSpaghetti Sat 11-Mar-23 10:17:04

M&S also sold out of the woolen ones

NotSpaghetti Sat 11-Mar-23 11:10:40

Is anyone still buying thermals please?
If so, where has still got stock?
Thank you.

Elegran Sat 11-Mar-23 11:23:52

mrswoo

In addition to thermal vests and thick fleecy tights I wear cashmere wrist warmers indoors as well as outside and they really seem to help keep me warm.
The wrist warmers are from a company called Turtle Doves and are made of recycled cashmere from jumpers etc. They also make fingerless gloves, hats, and wraps in beautiful colours.

If your budget won't run to £32 for wrist warmers, cut the feet off a pair of warm socks that have gone through at the heels, and wear the tops on your wrists. If you tuck the cut ends up your sleeves, no-one will recognise them, and if you don't care about looks, cut a small hole for your thumb to turn them into fingerless gloves. (The socks-into-fingerless-gloves wheeze is also good for keeping a white dressing clean on the back or palm of your hand - or a grandchild's)