Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Doing things for the last time

(87 Posts)
varian Sat 18-Mar-23 16:35:18

I used to love windsurfing but haven't done it for ages and I just know I am too old and unfit to do it now.

I can't actually remember the last time I went windsurfing. I don't think I had a problem with it. I was still keen and able to do it, but for one reason or another, I've not done it since.

Of course, on that happy day when I last went windsurfing, I didn't know that I might never do it again. I wonder what I would have thought if I'd known. Would I have made more of an effort to keep doing it because I enjoyed it so much?

As we age there must be many days when we do something for the last time in our lives. Does it make a difference to how you feel if you are aware that you will never do it again?

henetha Sun 19-Mar-23 10:13:58

It's swimming that I miss. I last swam in Malta ten years ago and am afraid to swim any more in case my two artificial knees cause me to sink. I didn't realise at the time that it was my last swim.
That's so sad, Nanatoone. flowers

TerriBull Sun 19-Mar-23 10:17:28

I think I regret that we may not do any more long hauls abroad, I'd never say never, I have loved many of those faraway places, both North and South America, Australia, I'd love to go again, I just hate air travel more and more. I keep seeing videos of extreme turbulence maybe I'm subliminally seeking them out, I find it hard to cope with just a little bit of it. I also agree with BlueBelle those wonderful, far flung places involve long arduous journeys I almost feel I need a holiday to get over the holiday, if that makes any sense!

Greyduster Sun 19-Mar-23 10:26:00

I had to stop fishing a couple of years ago, due to my reduced mobility meaning I could not stand for hours on a bank casting flies into a gale, and certainly couldn’t get in and out of rivers. Unless you’re in a boat, it’s not really a sport that lends itself to sitting down. Then DH had health issues, which exacerbated mine. I’m hoping this year, having had my hip replaced, to get back into it, but think it may be my last fling (so to speak).. We’ll see.

MerylStreep Sun 19-Mar-23 10:39:23

Terrybull
I said the same thing about long haul, and then one of the daughters asked if we’d like to go to Hawaii first class.
I said, let me think about it 😄

glammagran Sun 19-Mar-23 10:41:18

Did I really once own a horse? Riding is simply unimaginable now with my arthritic joints, tendon and muscle problems.

SusieB50 Sun 19-Mar-23 10:49:01

The last time my late DH and I did a road trip around France I realised that it would probably be the last trip . He was so exhausted on our return , little did we know he would be diagnosed with inoperable cancer 3 months later 😞
My love of walking was severely hampered 18 months ago but now having had a hip replacement nearly a year ago I’m looking forward I hope to some coastal walking this year but perhaps taking it a little easier !

silverlining48 Sun 19-Mar-23 11:05:21

I was only thinking yesterday that my new passport will probably be my last ☹️ So thought I had best put it to good use and make hay while the 🌞 shines

storynanny Sun 19-Mar-23 11:11:39

Ahh nanatoone! I’m dreading the last time I can go to Croyde - although last summer I walked to baggy point and back and thought it’s probably my last time!
I think I’ve bought my last push bike. Next one might be an electric one!

ginny Sun 19-Mar-23 11:14:10

I was giving my youngest DGS his nighttime bottle and thought to myself that there won’t be many times now that I would have a warm, sleepy baby snuggled in my arms.
As in so many instances better not to know ‘it’s the last time’. Live in the moment and enjoy while you can.

Yammy Sun 19-Mar-23 11:19:02

Joseanne

Perfect Sago, there's always something else round the corner to enjoy. There HAS to be?

Yes, there has to be something around the corner, I agree with both Sago and GMS.
Life is full of the unexpected always was and always will be, I hope it is something that I can participate in.

HousePlantQueen Sun 19-Mar-23 11:27:34

I agree with GSM that it is probably better not to know that it is the last time we do something, but I am having a gradual realisation/reality check on travel. DH is fit and well generally but has had health problems since covid19, problems that have made me decide, discreetly, to book holidays closer to home, Europe specifically, and avoid long haul as I am terrified of a health issue when we are thousands of miles away from home.

LRavenscroft Sun 19-Mar-23 11:28:58

Visiting my mother's family in another country. It would break my heart to go to the village cemetery and see all those graves of loved ones whose laughter and smiles I remember from over half a century ago who welcomed you with open arms and shared their homes and love with you:

The wonder of the world
The beauty and the power,
The shapes of things,
Their colours, lights and shades,
These I saw.
Look ye also while life lasts.

Fleurpepper Sun 19-Mar-23 11:41:44

henetha

It's swimming that I miss. I last swam in Malta ten years ago and am afraid to swim any more in case my two artificial knees cause me to sink. I didn't realise at the time that it was my last swim.
That's so sad, Nanatoone. flowers

Oh no- goodness, why? I have 2 artificial knees and I love swimming- and they don't make me sink, why would they?

I can't do 'froggy legs' anymore, so swim with up and down feet, even when doing breaststroke. I use short physio flippers, to give more momentum and it works really well. But in swimming pools where they are not allowed, naked feet work well too. Practice in a pool first, with someone in attendance to give you confidence. Artificial knees should NOT stop you at all and help keep muscles strong.

luluaugust Sun 19-Mar-23 11:43:01

I don’t think we shall go abroad again, we had some wonderful trips over the years. A friend said time the other day at least you and I can still walk a fair distance and we thought about the friends who couldn’t now.

Cfaz49 Sun 19-Mar-23 11:49:55

I was persuaded to go horse riding about 2 years ago by my daughter and granddaughter. I used to ride regularly but hadn’t for about 15 years. I thought that I would give it a whirl again. Really, really bad idea! I couldn’t get off…. everything had just seized up. Very undignified 😂
I should have left it as a very pleasant memory

Farzanah Sun 19-Mar-23 12:21:05

Life is in a constant state of flux, and I know, because of physical constraints, I will never do some things again. Instead I move on to other things which give me pleasure.
I try not to take for granted even simple activities like a walk, or chat with a friend, as life can unexpectedly change in an instant.
I aim to enjoy the present with all the ups and downs as if it were indeed the last time.

biglouis Sun 19-Mar-23 12:31:49

A few years ago I visited Venice for the last time. I knew it was for the last time. Its a city I really love and have visited many times. But its not for the disabled. Too many wooky little bridges, steps and awkward places to get to. I did not do all the things I wanted to do or visit all the parts of the city I wanted to see, My mobility was sadly not upto it.

My visit was just at the start of long security queues and the horrible way passengers are now treated at airports. I escaped most of that by requesting special assistance. Now when I see these things on the news Im glad I will never fly again because I would simply have a meltdown.

Its sad to think that I will never again sail along the Grand Canal or wander the fascinating soukhs of Marrakesh, Damascus or Isfahan.

Such is life.

Farzanah Sun 19-Mar-23 12:36:12

I agree biglouis. I’ve visited Venice so many times, and have fond memories of Syria for example before the civil war. However nothing stays the same, and each visit would be a different experience. Certainly would be in Syria now, sadly.

JaneJudge Sun 19-Mar-23 12:45:25

Joseanne

Windsurfing and kayaking are finished for me too. But I have moved on to paddle boarding.
I am happy to do something for the final time if I can replace it with something that gives me equal pleasure. The next step will be just watching the DGC on the water, and not participating, but hey ho I will still be involved, (and dream of fitter days!)

you could go sailing instead?

Lots of actvities have been made more accessible for people with varying degrees of disability, so maybe it is better to look for alternatives rather than pining for something you cannot access anymore. This isn't just aimed at you Joseanne grin I mean to everyone. My dd has quite a severe disability and still horserides, accesses pony and trap riding, has accessed sailing through a disability group, rides a tricycle rather than a two wheeled bike, goes swimming, bowling etc there are always things we can do

Losing people is not something I can give any alternative to though sad I'm sorry flowers

Joseanne Sun 19-Mar-23 15:15:36

No worries JaneJudge, sailing sounds like a good alternative, (and would mean lots of new deck clothes for my wardrobe - think Breton tops and sandals). grin 👕 🩴
I'm glad your dd has a variety of pursuits which are special to her.
Here's the 3 generations of female paddleboarders in my family, but I let the others pump up the equipment, a back killing job!

Margiknot Sun 19-Mar-23 15:48:49

I had the odd awareness ( before an illness that changed my life took proper hold) it might be the last time I was walking in mountains some years ago- and mentally said goodbye! This has led to exploring other ways - for instance using a camper van so that we could still reach wild places and I could still join in without the long walk ins etc.

Margiknot Sun 19-Mar-23 15:54:54

Paddle boarding looks fun Joseanne!

Nanatoone Sun 19-Mar-23 15:59:55

I have read every post here and so many resonate. Thank you for the kind words towards me, it was a horrible time after that holiday and my last proper memory was the hospice nurse telling me to get in bed with my dying husband and talking him through a lovely walk we had had at Croyde and the plan was that he stayed at the destination and I left him there. My god that was hard to do, it was a way to get him to let go really but it didn’t work. Eventually my then son in law bored him to the other world by reading a book! That memory isn’t so sad for me as we had a lovely time and such good memories, but we clearly acknowledged that this was our last time. Some of the other experiences, like the last night time bottle for a baby, made me feel equally as strongly xxx

NanaDana Sun 19-Mar-23 16:01:43

Now pushing 80, I have led a very active life, which included athletics, hockey, swimming, ski-ing (both down hill and cross-country),mountaineering (reduced to fell-walking in my 40's), tennis and badminton. All of these have gradually become beyond my reach, physically, although I'm still an active walker and on a good day can still manage 8 miles or so. Yes, the gradual deterioration and imposition of limitations is frustrating, but it's also a natural progression, and has led me into other less physically demanding but still enjoyable activities. Walking our 2 dogs, writing (poetry), guitar, attending theatre and musical performances, reading (lots!), travel (more UK-based these days but still so much to see here)... it doesn't really matter, as long as you fill the gap. I'll only feel cheated as regards "doing things for the last time" is concerned when "breathing" is added to the list, but hopefully not for a while yet. wink

Dinahmo Sun 19-Mar-23 16:26:59

I'm amazes at some of the things that some of you still do. Lots if them are things I've never done. However, to those of you who don't like flying it's easy to travel around Europe by train. The fares are a lot cheaper than in the UK, especially if you plan well in advance. There is a website called the man in seat 61 which provides information on how to get somewhere. We traveled by train from Limoges, via Paris and Zurich and over the Alps, to Florence a few years ago. The return was via Turin where we stopped overnight. A lively city.

We're not beachy sporty people but love pottering around cities and towns something we can't do at the moment. My DH is awaiting a knee op and my asthma is too bad. plus my dogs, 2 blind, one of whom has diabetes I cannot leave them so we are going to have to do days out. Rather a lot of chateaux to see in the Dordogne. Apparently 1000 although not all are open to the public, thankfully.