Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

I need honest advice

(89 Posts)
Fflaurie Thu 23-Mar-23 09:52:41

I had an accident last year and seriously injured my back, I had had a bad back for years before, but this was serious, I ended up having neurosurgery on my back and need aids around the house to get around, and I now have to use a walker outside. I also had to retire early on the grounds of ill health. Anyway, we used to go away to a lovely hotel twice a year, but since lockdown, we havent been anywhere. We have booked to go back there in the Autumn, but I am scared witless about going. I know I can get airport assistance, but, I am so worried that the flight will aggravate my injury, the strange bed, getting meals from the buffet, sleeping on a strange bed and so on and on. Would you go, or would you stay in your safe home and have a holiday from home? Please be honest. Thank you.

rosie1959 Thu 23-Mar-23 13:34:19

Lots of really good advice here especially about taking a UK break first.
You have been to the hotel before so I presume you have a good idea of the layout and how it will suit your needs. As for the flight depends how long it is
Would I stay at home the honest answer is not likely but I love going away. You mention you have had to retire early so I am presuming you are not very old

nanna8 Fri 24-Mar-23 08:35:43

Some good advice here. I was wondering how long you flight is because if it is 2 - 3 hours or less maybe it wouldn’t be too difficult for you. If, on the other hand, it is a long flight perhaps it might be better to book closer to home ? I certainly wouldn’t risk an extended flight or anything over a few hours.

Redhead56 Fri 24-Mar-23 09:25:01

Advice about air travel is essential that must be your first priority it will save you stressing about it. Holiday here we live in a beautiful country with so much choice. It’s my choice actually because of an on going health issue I have. This year two weekly holidays in two different parts of the country. If all goes well maybe a trip abroad next year shall have to wait and see on that one.

Choose carefully somewhere you would like to go and consider what’s the best accommodation. The weather isn’t always reliable here but June is a nice month and it’s not peak prices.
I hope you do get a break and where ever you pick you get to enjoy it and continual improvement with your health.

harrigran Sat 25-Mar-23 09:08:07

Restricted legroom on a plane could be uncomfortable. I have not flown since I had major surgery for cancer as I developed a PE while on chemo, risk of DVT.

Marydoll Sat 25-Mar-23 09:23:19

I used to go abroad two or three times a year, despite various health problems.

As my health has deteriorated, we have made the decision to have short UK breaks.
I have become anxious about becoming unwell abroad and my mobility is also compromised.
To add to that, the price of my travel insurance is astronomical.

After being in hospital a few months ago, we had a short break in Pitlochry, two hours from home.
We had a lovely break and I was happy in the knowledge that we could get home if I felt unwell.

Caleo Sat 25-Mar-23 10:37:52

Are we rather taking it for granted that we actually need to travel from one place to another in order to be happy?

Tenko Sat 25-Mar-23 10:55:23

Caleo

Are we rather taking it for granted that we actually need to travel from one place to another in order to be happy?

I don’t necessarily travel to be happy . I travel to explore new places and new experiences, either in the uk or abroad.
Although being by water does make me happy , whether it’s sea, rivers or lakes none of which are near where I live .

aonk Sat 25-Mar-23 11:00:27

I think you should get medical advice on travel. My own view is that we should push ourselves out of our comfort zone but only if medically advisable.

Caleo Sat 25-Mar-23 11:01:28

I understand, Tenko. The new experience may be a positive value, and increase one's happiness. But a new experience can be had within walking distance of one's own home.

True, some people live in such horrible houses and neighbourhoods they must get away to recuperate. Or they may be homeless and need to travel to reach a shelter.

crazyH Sat 25-Mar-23 11:04:37

Travel broadens the mind and introduces us to cultures and sights, we could otherwise only wonder about.

crazyH Sat 25-Mar-23 11:07:23

To answer your question OP, start off by taking a break in the UK. There are some beautiful places here in the UK.

Caleo Sat 25-Mar-23 11:14:22

"Travel broadens the mind" depends on the venue and whether or not you have an enquiring mind.
I met a man who had spent a lot of money on a holiday in Barbados and had been lifted aloft by a captive dolphin, one of the resort's tourist attractions. He had not a clue about animal rights and welfare generally despite he loved his dog.

Marydoll Sat 25-Mar-23 11:31:56

I have been thinking about seeking airport assistance. Do you not need fit to fly documentation to access this and plan it in advance?
If so, you may need to contact your GP.

I remember my GP once advising me I wasn't fit to fly, I was so disappointed at having to cancel my trip. However, I knew he was right.

V3ra Sat 25-Mar-23 12:26:52

I have been thinking about seeking airport assistance. Do you not need fit to fly documentation to access this and plan it in advance?

I've arranged this many times for my mother-in-law.
You need to arrange it in advance through your airline.

On arrival at the airport you go to the assistance desk and they will help you through check-in, security and settle you in a café or waiting area.
When it's time to board they will collect you and take you to the gate.
They have wheelchairs you can borrow if you need to, some airports are very big and you can be walking a long way otherwise.

Mother-in-law took her own wheelchair and went up in the ambulift onto the plane, or sometimes there's a walkway straight into the plane. Her wheelchair travelled in the hold.
Assistance passengers are boarded first and settled into their seats before everyone else gets on.

On landing you wait until the other passengers disembark then the assistance team come onboard, take you off the plane and through passport control to the luggage hall.
From there they'll take you to your taxi or transfer outside.

We've never needed any documentation from her GP.

Fflaurie you could phone your airline's assistance department and discuss your concerns and requirements with them.
As you would be travelling with your husband you can have as much or as little assistance as you need.
In our many experiences they are very happy to help.

Tenko Sat 25-Mar-23 18:03:59

crazyH

Travel broadens the mind and introduces us to cultures and sights, we could otherwise only wonder about.

This 👍

Cossy Sun 26-Mar-23 11:06:52

Great advice on here today, I’d definitely try a weekend or overnight stay here in the UK first - I think mentally it’s scary but if all works out well could be brilliant for you - good CD luck smilethanksflowers

Cossy Sun 26-Mar-23 11:07:19

Sorry no idea where the CD came from ! grin

Fflaurie Sun 26-Mar-23 11:10:00

Thank you all, you are amazing and such a wonderful support, although I have never met you, I felt as if I were in a room with friends. Thank you so much for your honest advice.

Babs758 Sun 26-Mar-23 11:15:11

Definitely try a few weekends nearer home first. I have a bad hip that stiffens up when walking. For the first time I asked for Airport assist and it was a godsend at Heathrow. I was expecting one of those cars where one sits facing backwards but no, it was a wheelchair “train” and hilarious. I would definitely do it again. It was amazing how my hip improved once I went to a warm climate! I wish you the best of luck in your decision

Edith81 Sun 26-Mar-23 11:18:54

Fflaurie I think when you book the hotel explain your anxieties to see if they can accommodate you. Maybe a staycation trip is best to start with, at least you can come home easily. Good luck.

RakshaMK Sun 26-Mar-23 11:25:02

It's one of the worst things about being disabled.
How long are you going for? And if it turns out to be a worst case scenario, what could you do to minimise the effects. A two night stay in an uncomfortable bed is very different to a fortnight.

Bazza Sun 26-Mar-23 11:47:13

I don’t think I would go if you’re so worried about the trip, half the fun of a holiday is looking forward to it! And as Marydoll says, if you’re honest on your health travel insurance details, it will huge. A trial to a hotel in the UK is a good idea to see how you feel.

Iwtwab12bow Sun 26-Mar-23 11:47:41

I sympathise completely, Fflaurie. During lockdown 9 went for a walk, fell on some uneven ground and broke my hip. I had to have a serious operation and the had to return to hospital for another four operations as the hip dislocated. This has left me unable to climb stairs and walk any distance. My DH ,I know is desperate to go away somewhere, I am very afraid of airports ,delays and flying. I would take the very sound advice and take it slowly. Book a hotel in the UK. Ask if they have a lift, a walk in shower and extra facilities for those who find walking difficult. Good luck ,keep doing the muscle strengthening exercises and take everything easy.

Nannapat1 Sun 26-Mar-23 12:01:39

I agree with those who advise a short 'trial' trip away in the UK first.
If you do go for the holiday abroad then do get proper travel insurance and go for the best plane seat that you can afford.
I can say that I have just been on a long haul trip, two countries plus a cruise and I managed much better than I had feared that I might. I am not as disabled as you, needing just a stick to walk ( need 2nd hip replacement) but I had similar concerns all of which were resolved.

Marydoll Sun 26-Mar-23 12:10:41

I also meant to say, that I rely on my husband for support, especially at airports.
He never complains, but I feel guilty lutting this extra burden on him.