Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Huge dilemma - help please.

(75 Posts)
kittylester Sat 03-Feb-24 12:57:22

For Christmas, DB1 gave dh and I John Lewis gift vouchers. The attached cards said £25 on each card.

I have another brother to whom DB1 is much closer (thank you mum!)

Just been to JL and spent £78 pounds. The assistant kept one gift card as it was fully used and and gave me back the other saying '£72 left on there'.

I am assuming that we got the gift cards intended for my brother.

Help, what should we do? Tell both brothers, one, no-one?

dogsmother Sat 03-Feb-24 13:00:43

I’d say thank very much. I’ve been to JL and bought whatever and you were very generous this year because it seems I have plenty left!
Ball firmly back in court.

Namsnanny Sat 03-Feb-24 13:02:01

I would tell brother you think he has made a mistake with the amount he has given you.
I wouldnt mention the other brother.
Let B1 decide how to handle it.

fancythat Sat 03-Feb-24 13:11:08

Tricky.
Not sure I would tell either brother, until or unless one of them says something?

I do find some things in life resolve themselves easier and better, by doing nothing yourself in the first instance, and letting someone else make the first move.

It isnt as if you would hold onto the supposed extra money, if someone asked for it back?

I think I would hold back in the first instance personally, and see what happens.

fancythat Sat 03-Feb-24 13:13:43

Mind you, this is one of those instances where, I would think about it further during the day, speak with someone for a 2nd opinion, and then may come to a different conclusion.

MissInterpreted Sat 03-Feb-24 13:13:47

I'd say nothing.

Theexwife Sat 03-Feb-24 13:24:24

I agree with dogsmother, it is thanking him and informing at the same time.

Cossy Sat 03-Feb-24 13:24:28

I’d tell them you’ve used the gift card, still have some left over and are very pleased with your purchases, thank you 😊😊

Urmstongran Sat 03-Feb-24 14:13:22

I agree with Namsnanny.
Tell your brother but don’t mention your other brother. Just let him know.

Urmstongran Sat 03-Feb-24 14:15:09

No.
On reflection kitty I think dogsmother is right!

(‘Iused to be indecisive but now I’m not sure’ comes to mind!).
😁

MissAdventure Sat 03-Feb-24 14:18:14

I'd tell.

grandtanteJE65 Sat 03-Feb-24 14:21:00

I would say nothing, and just use the other gift card as well, assuming that the brother who gave you it has changed his present-giving style.

Oldnproud Sat 03-Feb-24 14:27:41

If the attached cards clearly said £25, I think I would feel compelled to mention this to the brother who gave you these.

So, unless I am being stupid (perfectly possible), both of those cards had £80 on them to start with?
Apart from anything else, why would your brother be giving your other brother two cards rather than just one - or does he have a wife/partner, so would that be one card each for each of them?

On second thoughts, the more I think about it, the less likely I would be to say anything. If he treats you and your husband so differently from his other brother, there is a sense of poetic justice in this 👿

kittylester Sat 03-Feb-24 14:39:26

Thanks all for your input.

DH and I received a card each worth £25 so I am assuming that my other brother and his wife got £75 each.

Part of me (the mean part!) wants them to know I know.

MissAdventure Sat 03-Feb-24 14:48:42

grin

Patsy70 Sat 03-Feb-24 14:57:38

I’d be inclined to tell the brother who gave you the gift cards, kitty. He’ll possibly feel embarrassed. 🤷🏻‍♀️

MissAdventure Sat 03-Feb-24 14:59:30

I'd tell them both.
Why wouldn't you?

If it's meant for someone else then give it to them.

Aldom Sat 03-Feb-24 15:01:44

I think I would tell the brother who should have received the higher value cards. You could offer to send the remaining high value card and if they wish, one of your lower value cards. Not both, because you are now 'out of pocket, due to your brother's mistake. The other recipient probably had an accompanying card with the £75 values on each card. So he is probably equally aware of the mistake. This way it saves embarrassing the sender brother. I feel in all honesty you need to bring this to light. It's not being mean, but I know what you mean. grin

Oldnproud Sat 03-Feb-24 15:06:21

kittylester

Thanks all for your input.

DH and I received a card each worth £25 so I am assuming that my other brother and his wife got £75 each.

Part of me (the mean part!) wants them to know I know.

As I suspected, my maths was wrong blush

Like you, my mean part would want your brother to know too.

He might know already, of course. if your cards specified £25, the cards to your other brother and his wife probably specified £75. When he and his wife go to use the cards, they will get a nasty surprise if they are buying items worth more than £25. I'm guessing they are likely to then mention it to him themselves!

winterwhite Sat 03-Feb-24 15:12:57

I’d say nothing, be prolific in thanks to the brother who gave you the cards and wait and see what happens, if anything.

luluaugust Sat 03-Feb-24 15:43:51

As the cards usually run for a year, you could wait a bit and see if anything is said your DB won’t know when you use it. I would love to know how he broaches the subject , if he does

Callistemon21 Sat 03-Feb-24 16:02:15

I'm confused.

If the cards say £25 each but were actually worth £75 each, could it be that John Lewis made the mistake if they were all bought at the same time?

Or am I missing something?

What to do? I really don't know but I'd be inclined to say nothing to avoid embarrassment all round.
You could buy next year's presents with what is left 😃

biglouis Sat 03-Feb-24 16:08:37

I do find some things in life resolve themselves easier and better, by doing nothing yourself in the first instance, and letting someone else make the first move

Agree 100%. Dont sweat the small stuff.

Knitandnatter Sat 03-Feb-24 16:17:54

Say nothing to either brother, doing so might cause embarrassment all round. Accept the gifts graciously and enjoy spending them.

kittylester Sun 04-Feb-24 08:06:20

MissAdventure

I'd tell them both.
Why wouldn't you?

If it's meant for someone else then give it to them.

We've spent one of the £75 ones and some of the other one.