Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Precocious or just confident?

(57 Posts)
kircubbin2000 Fri 04-Sept-26 14:29:14

My 11 year old GS attended a family funeral at the weekend. After the service he went round and introduced himself to the people he hadn't met before and had a chat with them.
My other son told me he thought this was precocious as most children don't behave this way. What do you think?

M0nica Sat 05-Sept-26 09:11:19

He is going to go into adulthood with that invaluable skill of being able to network, politely and kindly.

I could have moved mountains had I that skill, but I don't.

TheWeirdoAgain60 Sat 05-Sept-26 09:17:56

What a fine young gentleman he is.

Your other son is way wrong; he's not being precarious at all, just being a thoroughly decent and thoughtful young man.

Good on him, is what I say, and why wasn't your other son so kind?!

Usedtobeblonde Sat 05-Sept-26 09:29:55

Precocious means showing maturity, literally translated as “ripening early”
I would say this child is precocious as very few 11 year olds do show such behaviour.
Your S was not kind as it is your GS’s nature but some adults don’t understand and see it as showing off.

labazs Sat 05-Sept-26 09:36:11

i think it is lovely. at parties, weddings etc i always sit and wonder who's child is who's. i should think at such a time it helps to 'lighten' things. my baby who was only a few months old certainly helped helped lighten things at my Uncles funeral, even if she was passed like a box of chocs!
two of my grandchildren the girls are like this and i think it is lovely. i am sure your grandson will go far

Witzend Sat 05-Sept-26 09:42:36

Just confident and outgoing, which surely can only be a good thing.

My Gds (10) is similar. He will honestly just go up to anyone and start chatting - he is lucky to have a very engaging way with him. IMO it’s a great gift to be born with.

sodapop Sat 05-Sept-26 09:54:35

I agree with Witzend great to have confidence like that. Strange isn't it how we make all sorts of excuses for a shy child but one who is outgoing and confident is criticised. I have no doubt he will have a great future in drama.