Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

6 granddaughters and a grandson on the way

(47 Posts)
6gran Tue 15-Sept-26 08:34:58

How do you cope with a boy when you are sobused to girls?

Flippin2 Tue 15-Sept-26 08:59:33

You just do, grandsons bring as much joy as granddughters

eddiecat78 Tue 15-Sept-26 09:00:40

I don't understand what you mean by "cope with". Presumably the 6 girls aren't all the same and you treat them accordingly. This little boy will just be another individual.
. The only immediate difference is that he might wee in your face when you change his nappy!

Sarnia Tue 15-Sept-26 09:10:28

I have 8 granddaughters and 1 grandson. He is in the middle of the girls. Growing up he had to endure having his nails painted and his head covered in hair clips but at 17 now, it doesn't appear to have done him any lasting harm. smile.
I have 3 DD's and 2 DS's and have always found a difference between the genders.
There always seems to be some sort of drama going on with girls whereas boys just seem to take life as it comes. If girls fall out, which happens with monotonous regularity, it is tearfully, all-consuming until they are friends again. Boys wouldn't be so bothered. They are much more laid back. Boys also like a cuddle with Granny for much longer than the girls.
You enjoy him. Baby and toddler toys are for either gender but as he grows up you may have to learn the offside rule. Good luck with that!

M0nica Tue 15-Sept-26 09:11:46

eddiecat78

I don't understand what you mean by "cope with". Presumably the 6 girls aren't all the same and you treat them accordingly. This little boy will just be another individual.
. The only immediate difference is that he might wee in your face when you change his nappy!

Total agreement. I was about to write the same thing myself

sodapop Tue 15-Sept-26 09:15:20

Just love him and enjoy time with him. He will bring a whole new dimension to your life.
Good luck.

M0nica Tue 15-Sept-26 10:13:26

In what way are you expecting having a boy to be different. I do hope you do not have expectations about what a boy will be, because boys, like girls, vary a lot. He is just as likely to be a quiet, non-sports loving/playing bookworm as any girl.

I know this from experience. My DS was exactly such a boy, while my DD was up for anything, climbing anything, joining the boys in racing around, up to mischief if you took your eye off her.

So forget the sex/gender of any grandchild you have, just treat them as a person.

Shelflife Tue 15-Sept-26 13:15:01

Just love and enjoy him for who he is , as you do your GDs . No expectations - he may not be football mad!!
I do agree that yes, when you change his nappy he is very likely to wee in your face !🤣 . Have fun .

BlessedArt Tue 15-Sept-26 14:16:17

Not sure. Never needed to ‘cope’ with anyone’s sex. I don’t know what that means tbh. I live life and love my family. It’s simple for me.

Norah Tue 15-Sept-26 14:32:14

6gran

How do you cope with a boy when you are sobused to girls?

We've lots of granddaughters and love them to bits. After many granddaughters, one daughter had a son. He's a delight, less inclined to get bothered over nothing, however that is him as an individual.

Love him.

MawsRosie Tue 15-Sept-26 15:01:24

Cope ???
Bit of sex stereotyping going on here!
My eldest GS danced in The Nutcracker with Birmingham Royal Ballet. He’s now a keen rugby player.
His little sister (my only GD out of 6) is a keen footballer.
I think OP needs to join the 21st century.

dogsmother Tue 15-Sept-26 15:18:55

How lovely to have a boy then. No different all babies and children are wonderful. Congratulations to all.

ginny Tue 15-Sept-26 15:32:25

Yes, just enjoy him. I have 3 DDs and 3 DGSs and in general boys and girls are a different kettle of fish. However they are all individuals with their own characteristics. All mine are very different in lots of ways.

Quizzer Wed 16-Sept-26 13:42:41

As the mother of sons I do not believe that boys and girls should be treated differently.
Teaching boys to be ‘tough’ encourages violence. Teach your boys to be thoughtful, gentle and respectful will make them better citizens.
One of my 4 granddaughters is far more trouble than any of my 3 grandsons. They are all individuals.

TerriBull Wed 16-Sept-26 13:54:50

M0nica

eddiecat78

I don't understand what you mean by "cope with". Presumably the 6 girls aren't all the same and you treat them accordingly. This little boy will just be another individual.
. The only immediate difference is that he might wee in your face when you change his nappy!

Total agreement. I was about to write the same thing myself

Yes! me too, I find even the slightest suggestion that a boy is something to be endured "to cope with" as they're almost another species and that giving birth or becoming a grandparent to a boy will somehow be stepping into the great unknown. Even worse "you've got the second prize", pretty annoying. I had a few oblique "disappointing" "inferences when my second child was another boy.

Colls Wed 16-Sept-26 14:12:13

Oh! I misread it! I thought you had 7 on the way at once! shock

monami Wed 16-Sept-26 14:19:11

Same way

DeeAitch56 Wed 16-Sept-26 14:31:25

Please don’t do the same as my mil she was desperate for a girl having had 4 sons when both my sons were born she said it was a shame and that she hoped that I had a girl next time That’s after I’d had a late miscarriage and one was born on her actual birthday
I never forgave her for valuing my children/her grandchildren less because they were both boys

SaxonGrace Wed 16-Sept-26 15:35:22

I’ve five granddaughters and four grandsons age ranges from 21 down to 7, they are all individuals with their own wonderful personality traits, just treat them as the little humans they are, they are all a joy to have around and a joy to send home, enjoy them all.

Astitchintime Wed 16-Sept-26 15:40:28

Mine are all individuals, they all have their own spirit and character regardless of gender…….can’t possibly stereotype them or put them into coping boxes 🙄

Nanny27 Wed 16-Sept-26 17:08:42

Grandchildren are a joy. Just love them all.

Bukkie Wed 16-Sept-26 18:21:12

Boys are a complete joy and not as many think second best. I have two sons and it doesn't bother me in the slightest, in fact I think I am so lucky. They are happy and healthy. DeeAitch56 my MIL was exactly the same. Her eldest was the girl she wanted, her second child my husband is called Jonathan because she only wanted another girl who she was going to call Joanna. How differently she treated her two children was disgusting. With both my pregnancies she said she was praying for girls and told me at the 20 week scans when I found out I was having boys, "nevermind you can have an abortion and try again for a girl" Even though she has been dead for over 20 years I cannot forgive her for how she treated her son and grandsons.

twiglet77 Wed 16-Sept-26 20:20:33

I have four grandsons and I rather suspect the “bump” due in spring is not a boy, but I hope with all my heart that it is!

Grammaretto Wed 16-Sept-26 23:36:02

I can never understand why anyone would want to know the sex before the birth?
You can't change it after all.

I had 3 boys, all very different in every way. I then had a girl.
Difference? I think she showed more interest in me than the boys ever did.
I now have 5 DGD and 2 DGS.
All an absolute delight. Lucky me and lucky you!

Saddest thing ever was witnessing a grandmother pulling her tiny DGS away from a toy pram in the toy dept saying "no those are for girls"

Elrel Wed 16-Sept-26 23:52:14

Bukkie
Truly shocked at your MIL’s awful comment and unsurprised that you can’t forget it.