Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

6 granddaughters and a grandson on the way

(48 Posts)
6gran Tue 15-Sept-26 08:34:58

How do you cope with a boy when you are sobused to girls?

nanna8 Thu 17-Sept-26 00:29:53

My husband’s brother had 5 boys,no girls and we had 4 girls,no boys. After 3 girls I didn’t want a baby boy because at the time I thought he would be a big woose with 3 older sisters. Silly really. Anyway it didn’t happen , we had our 4 th girl though we have 3 grandsons and 4 great grandsons now. Plus a crop of granddaughters and great granddaughters as well. I am surprised about the horrible comments about having boys because in many cultures it is definitely the other way round - especially Chinese.

crazyH Thu 17-Sept-26 00:31:51

Oh gosh Bukkie - what an awful, awful m.I.l. How sad for your husband.
Btw it’s not advisable to mention names - as someone could identify you. Under the circumstances, I don’t suppose it matters.

Redhead56 Thu 17-Sept-26 01:02:10

I have granddaughters who are adorable I would also love grandson's. However this is not going to happen it is a real disappointment for me but thats life.

Esmay Thu 17-Sept-26 03:22:40

Bukkie what a co

Esmay Thu 17-Sept-26 03:30:35

Oops.
Bukkie -what a nightmare of a mother in law .
Mine was sugary sweet ,but poisonous at times.

Basgetti Thu 17-Sept-26 09:27:23

Cope with? What a peculiar thing to say. Our grandson is a wonderful little individual.

Nannan2 Thu 17-Sept-26 10:33:53

Yes me too Colls very misleading headline! And no, boys gc are no different really than girl gc.&ive got 11 gc!

Nannan2 Thu 17-Sept-26 10:41:11

Ive 4 sons & 3 daughters,only difference is the boys are more 'laid- back' in their approach to life than the girls.

Oldnproud Thu 17-Sept-26 10:46:48

I only had sons, two of them

They and their wives have both had one of each, so I now have two dgs and two dgds.
I have cared for all of them at least a couple of days a week before they started school (youngest has just started there now) and in the school holidays

Every one of them is a unique individual, with different likes , dislikes, strengths and weaknesses.
The boys are no 'naughtier' than the girls, and the girls are no less active than the boys.

And every one of them absolutely loved jumping in puddles as toddlers 😁

In my own experience, grandparenting a boy has been no different from grandparenting a girl - just follow their lead and do the things with them that they enjoy doing.

Cossy Thu 17-Sept-26 10:47:42

Many congrats xx

Witzend Thu 17-Sept-26 11:08:40

From my own experience, boys are more likely than girls to resemble human hurricanes, but are equally loving and lovable.

MT62 Thu 17-Sept-26 11:29:43

Ahh lovely. All these sisters to fuss around him.
Congratulations btw.

Bukkie Thu 17-Sept-26 14:51:48

If they had been unusual names and not relevant to the conversation I wouldn't have mentioned them.

Jane43 Fri 18-Sept-26 08:27:56

We had a grandson after four granddaughters, you will be fine, congratulations.

Marg75 Fri 18-Sept-26 15:31:34

I have a lovely granddaughter and if my daughter was able to have another child I would loved to had a little grandson!

GrannySomerset Fri 18-Sept-26 15:48:53

My late MiL wanted our first baby to be a boy because she had so adored DH when he was young (and still did). When she met her GD aged less than 24 hours old it was a total love in on both sides and when DS arrived less than two years later he was barely noticed until able to assert himself. Personally I think all GC are a miracle and a chance to enjoy babies and small children without 24 hours responsibility!

CarrotTop Fri 18-Sept-26 16:46:37

eddiecat78

I don't understand what you mean by "cope with". Presumably the 6 girls aren't all the same and you treat them accordingly. This little boy will just be another individual.
. The only immediate difference is that he might wee in your face when you change his nappy!

Been there, done that, got the clean T shirt! [laugh]

JenniRen Fri 18-Sept-26 17:23:42

Grammaretto

I can never understand why anyone would want to know the sex before the birth?
You can't change it after all.

I had 3 boys, all very different in every way. I then had a girl.
Difference? I think she showed more interest in me than the boys ever did.
I now have 5 DGD and 2 DGS.
All an absolute delight. Lucky me and lucky you!

Saddest thing ever was witnessing a grandmother pulling her tiny DGS away from a toy pram in the toy dept saying "no those are for girls"

I can never understand why anyone would want to know the sex before the birth?
You can't change it after all.

Well, I asked because I wanted to go shopping in the sales for baby clothes. In those days they could tell at the scan but wouldn't say in case they got it wrong.
In the event I never got as far as the sales because DC3 arrived in a hurry.

How lovely to have a grandson after six granddaughters!
You cope with boys just the same as with girls.

Oh! I misread it! I thought you had 7 on the way at once! shock
Colls 😁 Now that would be a challenge!

Grandma70s Fri 18-Sept-26 17:36:02

Grammaretto

I can never understand why anyone would want to know the sex before the birth?
You can't change it after all.

I had 3 boys, all very different in every way. I then had a girl.
Difference? I think she showed more interest in me than the boys ever did.
I now have 5 DGD and 2 DGS.
All an absolute delight. Lucky me and lucky you!

Saddest thing ever was witnessing a grandmother pulling her tiny DGS away from a toy pram in the toy dept saying "no those are for girls"

I saw a little girl, about 4, climbing up some steep steps. A woman with her, probably her mother, said “Little girls don’t climb”. Such stereotyping shocks me.

Allsorts Fri 18-Sept-26 18:37:30

Cannot understand posters comment. Why do you have to cope with any on your grandchildren! How does it matter what sex they are?

pably15 Sat 19-Sept-26 00:38:18

We have one of each, and absolutely adore them, they're teenagers now, and loved babysitting when they were young. we waited a while to have them..

V3ra Sat 19-Sept-26 05:05:26

I saw a little girl, about 4, climbing up some steep steps. A woman with her, probably her mother, said “Little girls don’t climb”. Such stereotyping shocks me.

She'd be shocked if she saw my 9 year old granddaughter at her lessons on the high climbing wall at the local YMCA! 🫣