Mum's 70th

soontobe4 Tue 07-Nov-17 15:11:35

Hi, I am hoping I can get some lovely ideas for my mums upcoming 70th birthday. I would like to get her 7 gifts - one for each decade of her life, I'd like them to be linked with each decade, if you see what I mean. I am ok with things from more recent decades but the early ones I'm not so sure. My dad's not much help and she has no siblings to ask. We're also going away for the weekend to a cottage but worrying now that its a bit remote. I'd be ok with ideas if it was just with my little family but my sisters children have SN (and she's not helping with ideas - too busy) so nervous of what we could get up to. My mums doesn't drink, like interesting food, films etc but she's lovely and deserves something really special. We went to France for my dad's a few years ago and had an amazing time, but changes to circumstances mean that can't happen for mum and I'm just worried it's all going to be a bit flat. Any ideas would be very welcome!

Starlady Wed 08-Nov-17 12:10:16

I think the 7 gifts idea is lovely! Think you've gotten some great suggestions, too! I would do a mix of experiences and things, but that's just me.

I didn't see anyone mention a CD of popular songs from the 50s or 60s, etc. Mum might love that for one or two decades and they would be easy to store/not take up much room.

Coolgran65 Wed 08-Nov-17 12:22:41

I like the idea of the 70 comments. These could include a memory of a happy times spent together. Not hard to do if everyone is involved. Mum's siblings (if any) could cover the early years. Definitely wouldn't want stuff to have to find a place for.

Jalima1108 Wed 08-Nov-17 12:35:30

I used to like Elvis when I was 14 and the Beatles when I was 18 but if anyone gave me extended CDs of their music today I would be less than grateful!

annifrance Wed 08-Nov-17 12:53:09

Membership to NT, English Heritage, Royal Academy, Tate or anything like that.

As for the weekend away, I like the idea of an album of photos recording that weekend. Maybe a girls afternoon at a local spa, the don't all cost a fortune. A trip to a play in the area, even Am Drams. Or you could transform a room in the cottage into a 60s disco!! We can still all dance! Recently at couple of our dinner parties YouTube obliged with requests and we rocked and twisted around the dining room. Great fun!

Lizziehop2 Wed 08-Nov-17 12:54:20

I was 70 is September & my daughter & 3 friends had a weekend in the champagne district enjoying champagne tastings etc etc. Then they gave me a Photobook of the weekend. Just brilliant. And also agree I would not want a gift from each decade! Isn’t 70?the new 50?!!!!

PamelaJ1 Wed 08-Nov-17 12:58:08

I agree that it is a lovely idea.
What about some games from that era that we don’t play much now. Ludo for example or,if she’s not arthritic, some jacks. Some sweets that were around then that you can buy from those “new” sweet shops. Or some perfume, I seem to remember l’aiment(?) by Coty or 4711.

chrissyh Wed 08-Nov-17 13:24:40

I have just come back from a weekend away with my family for my 70th. I didn't want presents but whilst there they booked a massage for me, DD & DDiL (I could choose which one I wanted). We had afternoon tea for all the family and Sunday lunch on the way home. Just to spend time with my immediate family was all I could ask for. I think just all of you together and maybe booking afternoon tea and Sunday lunch will be enough for her.

ajanela Wed 08-Nov-17 13:25:44

Soontobe4, what are you thoughts now? Any ideas help?

amt101 Wed 08-Nov-17 13:54:10

I had the best 70th. My two daughters and I stayed at the Savoy for two nights. First night had a pre theatre meal and then went to see Mama Mia. The next night we had a meal out after shopping. Then the family that could came for afternoon tea. Wonderful.

winifred01 Wed 08-Nov-17 13:58:12

For my 80th birthday my DGCs bought me a fit bit! They set it up for me and I love it. Keeps me fit too!

HillyN Wed 08-Nov-17 14:00:44

How about having a retro birthday party- the sort we might have had as kids? Games like pass the parcel, musical statues, hunt the thimble and pin the tail on the donkey. Then a party tea with sausages on sticks, cheese and pineapple, jelly and ice cream, marshmallow teacakes and chocolate finger biscuits. Balloons, of course, and maybe some retro sweets like Love Hearts?

nananina Wed 08-Nov-17 14:03:28

I agree I think 7 presents would be over whelming and OTT - maybe one present from everyone. I had my 70th 4 years ago and we went out to tea (posh teashop) but that might be tricky with your sister's SN children. The other thing is I think you need to calm down and stop fussing as that will spoil things for you and possibly everyone else. One of my DILs was worrying and fussing and it wasn't good. I'm sure your mom will enjoy just being with her family and maybe a big bunch of flowers and a present from you all.

Hm999 Wed 08-Nov-17 14:07:14

My nieces and nephews took my sister away for her big birthday, and that went down very well. I gave her a newspaper book of what happened on each of her birthdays, which I got on the internet. 1940s, can you get a mock up of a ration book? 1950s I remember watching the Teddy Boys with total fascination! Toys from that era? 1960s Mods and Rockers 1970s Glam Rock. Can you do a CD from across the decades?
You can get icing that has photos in it (on it?). Asda? Photos from history of the decades? Old family photos?
It won't fall flat, don't worry. Good luck. Enjoy.

Beejo Wed 08-Nov-17 14:14:58

If you want images, ideas, thoughts from the 40s, 50s etc., Pinterest is a great resource.

2mason16 Wed 08-Nov-17 14:54:01

I'm 65 and have recently through facebook found links to my old high school in the 60's - some class photos on there and have managed to contact quite a few. You could find some photos to print out and maybe her primary school. Also your local library may have some archives of school events. Good luck!

Eloethan Wed 08-Nov-17 15:19:51

I like the memory/photo book idea too, perhaps also referencing significant family/personal events - and/or a large framed collage of photos from each decade.

nanasam Wed 08-Nov-17 15:40:05

For my mum's 90th birthday my DD got a shoebox and labelled it 90 reasons why I love you, then her and DGSs wrote on sheets of coloured paper (about 4" x 2") special memories of their Nana and Greatnan. Funny anecdotes and happy memories. She absolutely loved it.

soontobe4 Wed 08-Nov-17 15:57:50

Wow! Thank you everyone, I wasn't expecting so many replies. It's really interesting reading everyone's ideas. Also interesting to see the range of opinions on the idea. Luckily it has made me realise how much I know my mum and what she would like. The weekend away with her children and grandchildren will absolutely be the best part of it, but she has always put us first and gone without so much, I know she will appreciate the thought of 7 well chosen items. I don't want to get her any antiques as such or masses of stuff to clutter her house, that was never my thought! I'm going to go with sweets, a music cd so we can all have a bit of a disco, a book with photos of the local area when she was a girl (she loved an exhibition at the local museum about this last summer and she shared lots of lovely childhood stories with us) etc. Rather than presents as such, they will just be little things that she will enjoy sharing with her grandchildren. I already have a proper present (that I've talked to her about). I just wanted to make some extra effort as she's worth it and does this kind of thing for everyone else. She's very mobile and a 'young' 70 who likes some fun. Thanks again

M0nica Wed 08-Nov-17 15:59:43

I am nearly halfway through my 70s and I am not sure that I would want lots and lots of reminders of the past. That is what you do at funerals. Family and friends, yes, then fun; things to do, places to go, new skills to get involved in.

The last thing I want is to be told that my future lies in the past.

VIOLETTE Wed 08-Nov-17 16:04:57

Firstly, how lucky is your mum to have a daughter who cares enough to ask for ideas !!!! Not heard frommy daughter for 10 years ! Was 70 in September no pressies, no cards, husband (Parkinson's_ never remembered !) Bought myself flowers, chocs and perfume .....which is what I wanted !!! Think, since things are so expensive, it would be an idea to maybe ask your mum if there is something she has always wanted .......then you will at least have an idea ! Would have like to go to an Andre Rieu concert maybe .....or better still if you have a family as you say, and you are spending the weekend together anyway, what about dinner in a local restaurant ///just be good to be together, photo album may be another suggestion, as on here ....on the other hand, being exactly that age as well, I personally wouldn't want anything from years ago !.....there are websites.forums/ on Facebook which have pictures of towns from 1947 ...quite like to look at the town where I was born sometimes ....old school photos etc .......a photo of the whole family in a nice frame .......but please do ask her if you possibly can ! she is lucky to have your thoughts ! flowers

Leticia Wed 08-Nov-17 16:07:34

It sounds lovely SoontoBe4. You could take lots of photos of the actual weekend and then make into a photo book afterwards.

BRedhead59 Wed 08-Nov-17 16:19:25

When my Mum and Dad had their 60th wedding anniversary I wrote and read parts of their life story and my brother organised their desert island discs. I also made an 'agree to differ' cake because they never rowed just agreed to differ on many things. My Dad's side was a plain sponge with jam filling and mum's was covered in chocolate and cream. We had a great party for all the family at my house.

Coconut Wed 08-Nov-17 16:26:32

I think most of us have accumulated most “ stuff” we need. I have had some lovely treats on recent birthdays from my 3 adult kids. Tickets and a hotel stay for Lionel Ritchie, then a spa day, London theatre tickets etc and like most, my happiest times are just having all my kids, partners and grandchildren all together. I was given a lovely fake tree that lights up, plus on the branches were hung love hearts with all the family names on.

soontobe4 Wed 08-Nov-17 16:27:23

I think some people have got completely the wrong end of the stick - this is not a 'this is your life, now it's over' kind of thing with cobwebbed tat. As I say, she is very young (as is my 80 year old dad), but she is also quite sentimental to a point. It has certainly made me feel very lucky to belong to the family I do. I do know what happens at a funeral, most recently attending my wonderful mother in laws, who died at only 58. This isn't meant to replicate a memorial of her life in any way. I think my intentions may have been misinterpreted.

luluaugust Wed 08-Nov-17 16:35:58

For my 70th I had a weekend away with the family. I had mentioned I would like a photo of the DC and DGC and they took them themselves and put them in beautiful frames, absolutely lovely of them all at a certain date.