Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

How often do you shower/bathe?

(161 Posts)
Newquay Mon 20-Sep-21 09:15:10

We had bath taken out and a lovely walk in shower installed.
I tend to shower and wash hair every other day.
Although I like feeling fresh and doing hair I’m beginning to find the whole thing a right performance especially cleaning down the screen and floors afterwards.
Sometimes DH goes in after me so he does it then.

Newquay Mon 20-Sep-21 09:16:03

Walls not floors!! Although I do wipe round the floor edge with a long handled sponge

NotSpaghetti Mon 20-Sep-21 09:23:08

We both shower daily and spray the shower after the 2and one is done. We need to clean it "properly" much much less than we did when we didn't use an after-shower spray.

nadateturbe Mon 20-Sep-21 09:24:06

Shower is such a nuisance. I used to have a bath instead simply because of all the cleaning. But now after I shower I turn the water quite hot and rinse it all down well. I only clean it once a week.

Greyduster Mon 20-Sep-21 09:25:35

I love our walk in shower but I agree, it is a right royal pain having to clean it down. Microfibres cloths are a great help. The biggest faff is having to get down on my hands and knees to clean the full length shower tray.

kittylester Mon 20-Sep-21 09:25:54

Shower and hair wash everyday. Our cleaner cleans the showers!

MayBeMaw Mon 20-Sep-21 09:30:54

Greyduster

I love our walk in shower but I agree, it is a right royal pain having to clean it down. Microfibres cloths are a great help. The biggest faff is having to get down on my hands and knees to clean the full length shower tray.

Daily Shower Shine- I use “Method” but other brands are available. Spray after your shower before you get out.
We have very hard water here and it copes well with limescale and other scummy things which can cloud (to put it politely) the shower screens, the walls and the tray.

BlueBelle Mon 20-Sep-21 09:33:31

I shower and wash hair and teeth whilst in the shower every day 7 am
If I ve been sea swimming or had a dirty allotment morning I may shower again later

Neen Mon 20-Sep-21 09:33:42

I'm afraid usually I shower twice a day if I go out on public transport. But I have a wet room and find the cleaning reasonably easy. I do have friends who shower a couple of times a week. So I guess it's personal preference. Have you considered a cleaner once a fortnight if it's getting a little like hard work

Shelflife Mon 20-Sep-21 09:34:39

Newquay, I love our walk in shower, in there every morning. I find the best stuff for keeping screen clean is a shower screen spray . Mr Muscle shower shine is a good one. After you finish showering simply spray the glass screens and leave - Do NOT wipe. It is amazing stuff. Job done!!

GrannyGravy13 Mon 20-Sep-21 09:39:20

We are daily shower people, spray with Method or other environmental friendly daily shower spray, the cleaner works her magic weekly.

Shinamae Mon 20-Sep-21 09:39:45

Usually twice a week to shower and once a week to wash my hair

silverlining48 Mon 20-Sep-21 09:40:03

We used to bath nice a week in days gone by with a strip wash daily.
I have a bath 2 or 3 times a week, basically when I need to wash my hair. Obviously if its very hot it is more frequent and anyone with a dirty sweaty job is different.
Otherwise I really don’t see the need to shower or bath every day, how dirty can one get and a good wash down does the job.

silverlining48 Mon 20-Sep-21 09:40:58

Once a week....

dragonfly46 Mon 20-Sep-21 09:45:02

We each shower every day in different showers. We use daily shower spray and I find Tesco’s works the best.

Peasblossom Mon 20-Sep-21 09:48:51

I don’t understand. I used to have to clean the bath every time.

It’s easier to just wipe down the shower panels than have to lean over the bath.

I do it while I drip. It takes about a minute.

Parsley3 Mon 20-Sep-21 09:49:22

Every morning. An occasional wipe down with a micro cloth does the job on the screen. I spray the tray with whatever detergent I am using in the bathroom and leave it. All cleaning is a chore to me.

MayBeMaw Mon 20-Sep-21 09:53:44

Right.
One disadvantage.
Naturally I don’t wear my glasses in the shower - in fact I try to leave off putting them on as long as possible, preferably until I am out of range of a mirror- so my perception of the state of the shower may be optimistic.
But who cares? ?‍♀️

Ladyleftfieldlover Mon 20-Sep-21 09:58:57

Daily shower but hair is washed every other day. Quick squirt of Method shower cleaner.

shysal Mon 20-Sep-21 10:18:27

I bath every morning, mainly to ease my joints as I have RA. I wash my hair every 1 or 2 days. The bath is rinsed after each use, with the shower head.

I would hate to be without a bath, it is my favourite form of relaxation, with a book to read. I get up between 4 and 5am so it fills an hour or two before moving around and waking the neighbours.

Lovetopaint037 Mon 20-Sep-21 10:23:29

We shower and hair wash twice a week. In between I stand in a soapy bowl of water and quickly wash down. This allows me to wash my feet more thoroughly than in the shower as I can’t get down to wash them properly..DH cleans the shower after we both have showered.

Hetty58 Mon 20-Sep-21 10:32:21

I shower twice a day - and don't do all the spraying and wiping down. When the limescale really builds up, I use a remover. Nobody else uses my shower room, though - just the clean and shiny bathroom that I never use!

glammanana Mon 20-Sep-21 10:39:40

I shower every morning after doing any housework that may need doing I have a wet room which is easy to clean after a spray of Method and wipe down with a long handled micro-mop .

Visgir1 Mon 20-Sep-21 10:41:51

Shelflife

Newquay, I love our walk in shower, in there every morning. I find the best stuff for keeping screen clean is a shower screen spray . Mr Muscle shower shine is a good one. After you finish showering simply spray the glass screens and leave - Do NOT wipe. It is amazing stuff. Job done!!

Totally agree, never had a problem.

Litterpicker Mon 20-Sep-21 10:49:56

We had a new bathroom fitted last year and I’m hoping to keep it looking good! We have bath and shower. We (me & DH) use shower every other day. I have a bath when I want a relaxing soak.
We use a Karcher window vac to dry all surfaces after showering - I dry myself first but stay in cubicle to do the ‘sooking up’ of water from all glass, tiles and floor. It’s very quick. I use a micro cloth to wipe down the door edges that the vac can’t get close to. If I’m in a rush I use Method shower spray and leave on. Our bathroom fitter recommended an occasional clean with something stronger to remove any limescale- he suggested Cillit Bang - but I prefer to stick with vinegar.
I regard the gentle stretching with the vac as part of my exercise routine!