Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

How often do you shower/bathe?

(162 Posts)
Newquay Mon 20-Sep-21 09:15:10

We had bath taken out and a lovely walk in shower installed.
I tend to shower and wash hair every other day.
Although I like feeling fresh and doing hair I’m beginning to find the whole thing a right performance especially cleaning down the screen and floors afterwards.
Sometimes DH goes in after me so he does it then.

Grandma70s Mon 20-Sep-21 10:52:25

Hairwash every other day. I used to shower every day, but I’ve discovered it really isn’t necessary, so now every couple of days. I haven’t got a proper bath in this sheltered flat, but I couldn’t get out of it anyway, when I had one.

I really hate showers, but needs must. I find it a tiring and irritating process. Showers may be refreshing (though I felt cleaner after a bath), but they aren’t relaxing.

tanith Mon 20-Sep-21 11:07:31

Love my walk-in shower, hair wash every 2/3 days and shower every morning, in Summer twice a day. I only clean my shower weekly, I wipe down the screen with a squeegee scraper before I get out every time takes less than a minute and it leaves the screen completely dry, windows open and that’s it. I use viakal on the glass every few months as it stays mostly free of stains. I haven’t had a bath in 15yrs.

Megs36 Mon 20-Sep-21 11:09:57

Aldi every day shower spray is brilliant. Even my husband remarked the shower looked sparkling!

Liz46 Mon 20-Sep-21 11:10:42

I don't find the Karcher window vac very effective. We had our bath taken out and a large shower fitted and both shower every morning. I wash my hair every other day.

I regularly soak the shower head in white vinegar and use Method window cleaner when I feel I must do something. I'll look out for the Method shower spray.

NotSpaghetti Mon 20-Sep-21 11:15:00

I find spraying and now-and-then cleaning of the shower is way easier than the bath which I scrub after every use!

Welshwife Mon 20-Sep-21 11:16:19

I have a microfibre pad on an extendable handle which I wipe the tiled walls with and use the blue glass cloth from Lakeland on the glass - always comes up sparkling with no product. Every couple of weeks I wipe down all the walls in the bathroom with the microfibre pad thing - all tiled bathroom so I never have a scrubbing job.
In another bathroom we have a curtain as shower too awkward for a glass screen - it is much easier to keep the edges clean in that one.

BBbevan Mon 20-Sep-21 11:24:22

Walk in en-suite shower so wash hair and body every day. Love the whole performance, and always use body cream afterwards.

Just squirt shower clean on the glass daily and give it a good clean once a week

MiniMoon Mon 20-Sep-21 11:24:22

I have very dry skin, always have had. I wash my very short hair every day, but shower every other day. A bath dries out my skin, so I haven't had one for years.

Nannan2 Mon 20-Sep-21 11:38:24

I shower whenever I've been out anywhere (what with covid and all) but definitely every other day even if I've stayed in- sons every day, but elder one sometimes twice a day at least, hes got OCD.I long to enjoy a long soak in a bath but only had walk in shower for 9 years..?

Nannan2 Mon 20-Sep-21 11:43:03

My cleaner said a wipe down on walls with a squeegee scraper is needed to keep down mould in walk in shower.But we're finding this difficult as sons forget, & we all have differing disabilities?

Chewbacca Mon 20-Sep-21 11:56:12

Shower every day in a full length walk in shower. The tiles, screen and tray take a couple of minutes to wipe over with a wide, angled squeegee and then the fittings wiped with a microfiber cloth to buff them up. Prefer that to hanging over a bath and cleaning the edges I could barely reach.

Blossoming Mon 20-Sep-21 12:05:22

What a strange question! My bathing habits are none of your business.

If what you actually want to know is how I keep the bath and shower clean, I wipe them down after use. I use a long handled squeegee thingy on the shower and a soft microfibre cloth on the bath/basin. It only takes a few minutes. All bathrooms have a full clean once a week.

NanKate Mon 20-Sep-21 12:07:03

I shower every morning and in the hot weather at night too. I wash my hair every 4 to 5 days.

DH has told me showering every day is not good for my dry skin, but I do lather up with lots of creams.

DH who is meticulous with washing has a strip wash 6 days and showers once a week. It takes him over an hour !! He always smells nice. ?

Blackcat3 Mon 20-Sep-21 12:10:33

Daily! And clean immediately!

Jaxjacky Mon 20-Sep-21 12:13:47

Shower every other day, bath occasionally in the winter, hair wash one or twice a week. MrJ thoroughly cleans the shower, if he’s been working it’s every day.

hollysteers Mon 20-Sep-21 12:38:26

Shower at night, can’t bear it in the morning. As others have said, the squeegee scraper is wonderful on a wet glass screen.
As I hate cleaning it so much, I have draped a large lightweight plastic tablecover over the screen so it stays unmarked.
(Much prefer a shower curtain really).

nadateturbe Mon 20-Sep-21 13:06:14

Everyone seems to use a spray every day except me. I think I'm lucky and live in a soft water area because my shower glass doesn't mark very much. Rinsing it is enough. And thorough clean once a week.

Chewbacca Mon 20-Sep-21 13:18:46

I've never used a shower spray either nadaterurbe, but, as you say, the type of water in an area is probably key to whether they're needed or not.

Norah Mon 20-Sep-21 13:39:27

Morning and night, daily.

MayBee70 Mon 20-Sep-21 14:07:18

hollysteers

Shower at night, can’t bear it in the morning. As others have said, the squeegee scraper is wonderful on a wet glass screen.
As I hate cleaning it so much, I have draped a large lightweight plastic tablecover over the screen so it stays unmarked.
(Much prefer a shower curtain really).

That’s a great idea. I’m going to copy you with that as it’s DH that showers (I’m a bath person) but me that has to clean it.

hollysteers Mon 20-Sep-21 14:16:34

MayBee70 It works really well and I whip it off when I have visitors staying ?

silverlining48 Mon 20-Sep-21 18:11:01

If I have absolutely no choice and have to shower I can’t wash my feet properly and feel frozen getting out of the steamy cubicle into the what feels like a fridge, brrr.

I can’t use glasses as they steam up so can’t see what is on the labels; have washed my hair in conditioner and my body in shampoo more than once.

Things get dropped, I have to bend down to pick up and water goes into my eyes, and wets my hair ( if I wasn’t planning to wash it). Then it goes frizzy in the steam...

I love my bath it’s so relaxing, but worry when the time comes that I can’t get out of it and visualise the embarrassment of being hauled out (by crane probably)by dh and neighbours or worse, firemen.
It doesn’t bare ( bear) thinking about. shock

PaperMonster Mon 20-Sep-21 19:15:28

Shower daily and have a bath weekly.

Margiknot Mon 20-Sep-21 19:15:46

Every day. I too just spray the shower with Method shower spray after use, with an occasional proper clean. The shower spray stops the frosty hard water stains, so the glass does not need polishing dry. I do dry off the tap thing to keep it shiny.

PinkCakes Mon 20-Sep-21 19:32:51

I shower and wash my hair every morning. In hot weather, I shower at night as well.