Gransnet forums

Bereavement

Death of sister

(59 Posts)
FionaC Sun 10-Jul-16 19:18:49

My sister died today aged 65. How do you live without the best friend who knows you better than anyone and has been there every day of my life?

Izabella Mon 11-Jul-16 10:07:11

Perhaps I can put a different perspective on this. How absolutely wonderful and amazing you had such a marvellous relationship with your sister. This is cause for celebration and wonderful memories for you along with your natural grieving process.

Sadly I have never had such a relationship. You will come through your grief but it takes time. Don't try and rush it. I wish you well.

annodomini Mon 11-Jul-16 10:09:01

I'm so sad for you, Fiona. My two sisters are my best friends so I can empathise with you. Your grief must be immeasurable but you must also have a store of happy memories and one day you will find yourself dwelling more on these than on the loss that is dominating your heart today. ((((hugs))))

Lillie Mon 11-Jul-16 10:10:22

So sorry. Tears seem to be all you can do at this point. It's quite natural. flowers

Rosina Mon 11-Jul-16 10:46:15

The price of love is very high; it is heart breaking when the best and the dearest in your life are taken away. Take comfort in the happy memories Fiona, and always keep close to you the thought that your loved sister would not want to see you unhappy forever - she would no doubt want to see you laugh and enjoy your life - so do it for her as soon as you feel you can.

Neversaydie Mon 11-Jul-16 10:57:06

I am so sirry FionaI lost my beloved baby brither aged 61 recently .It is far worse than losing my parents .
I have no words for you except to say you were fortunate to have kept that loving relationship (as was I)You hear of so many fallings out of siblings on social media .
My main concern is to try and suppport my devastated SIL

vincent19 Mon 11-Jul-16 11:01:06

I'm so sorry for your loss of a sister. I to lost my older sister 3 years ago this week and there is never a day goes by when I don't miss her and our daily phone calls. It does get easier but life will never been the same she was like a mum to me she was 21 years older than me so been there all my life .... Big hugs to you FionaC

shabby Mon 11-Jul-16 11:47:52

So very very sorry for you Fiona. What a devastating loss. I lost my beloved younger sister last June very suddenly and unexpectedly aged just 61.I miss her every single day and will do forever. I have experienced every kind of emotion during the past year. Has it got any better - yes and no. I don't cry all the time but I still cry every day but I also laugh a lot at things I know she would find funny and enjoy. I was due to pick up a new puppy just a couple of days after she died. My sister knew I was going to get him and encouraged me to do so before she died. This little fella has helped me so much this year and has been a great source of comfort and I am sure that somewhere my sister is watching and laughing at his antics. I can imagine her saying 'Oh dear what has my sister let herself in for'. Be kind to yourself and cherish the wonderful memories you have of your sister.

LullyDully Mon 11-Jul-16 11:57:34

Sad.News Fiona. How I wish I had had a sister to share life? She must have been very special and you will miss her for a very long time. Take care.flowers

Marieeliz Mon 11-Jul-16 12:02:03

Sorry for your loss Fiona. Siblings are special. My only sibling my beloved brother died aged 65 in 2010. I miss him everyday, although we did not live near, he was always there for me. I too talk about him at every opportunity it keeps his memory alive.

adaunas Mon 11-Jul-16 12:27:53

Sorry to hear about your sister. ?

Alima Mon 11-Jul-16 12:43:38

So sorry for your loss Fiona. Siblings are very special, all those shared memories. My own adored brother is slipping to dementia, it is very hard.

Newquay Mon 11-Jul-16 13:15:18

Deepest sympathy Fiona?
I was moved to tears by your sad news. It would break my heart to lose my DS-nearly did a few years ago to breast cancer but she's still here and doing well. We are close in age and still squabble like we have all our lives but life without her would be very hard.
I feel so sorry for you-look after yourself.

grannyactivist Mon 11-Jul-16 13:15:45

Fiona - so sorry to hear about your loss. I think that the death of a sibling hits us especially hard because they're the people we shared our formative years with; the people who really know us and we can be ourselves with.

I'm from a large family and so I have lots of brothers and sisters, but my older sister is the only one who shared the trauma of our early years with me and will talk about it. She has pancreatic cancer and I've yet to find out what stage it's at, but fear it's very bad, so your post touched a tender chord with me. flowers

jogginggirl Mon 11-Jul-16 13:20:52

Fiona - I was so sorry to read your post ? I hope that, in time, your precious memories will give you comfort - your sister will never be gone from your heart. All good wishes to you ?

grands Mon 11-Jul-16 13:24:05

Condolences. You have been lucky to have had a sister, one whom you had a strong bond and happy friendship with. Much as you regret the loss of her life. Good memories is what you have :- They are a precious Treasure.

She lived, and lives on in your memories.

Life goes on, though it will be different. Be kind to yourself. Be patient.

I too recently lost someone who was important in my life. As I have experienced Bereavement before I know it can be different each time. On this occasion I knew I would loose this friend, as she was terminal with cancer. I very much appreciate her having been part of my life. I feel for her family, as she was a Wonderful Mother and much Loved. It will take time for us all to adjust to her not being there for us. Though I feel in Spirit she always will be, through our happy memories of good times spent wit her. We are the Better for having known her.

Best Wishes.

Zena510 Mon 11-Jul-16 13:40:26

So sorry for your loss

chrissyh Mon 11-Jul-16 14:53:05

First of all Fiona, I'm so very sorry to hear of the loss of your dear sister. Can I say how lucky you are to have had a sister to whom you are so close and all the memories that go with the special relationship. As an only child I will never have that lovely bond that sisters often have. Her passing will leave a big hole but nobody can take away your lovely memories.

luluaugust Mon 11-Jul-16 15:24:17

So sorry for the loss of your sister, I don't have a sister but I remember how sad my mum was when her sister died. Take special care of yourself [flowers}

Bluecat Mon 11-Jul-16 16:50:18

Very sad to hear of your loss, Fiona. As people have said, there will come a point when the good memories outweigh the bad, but it takes time. At this point, just let yourself grieve and don't worry too much about putting on a brave face. People will understand.

I hope you have plenty of support to help you through this very difficult time. In my experience, people who have been bereaved often need to talk about their loss. Try to find some good listeners, whether they are family, friends, neighbours, church people or even online acquaintances, and just let it out.

dorsetpennt Mon 11-Jul-16 17:12:35

Losing anyone dear to you is heartbreaking. I lost a dear friend in October 2014 , she was taken ill, hospitalised and died within three weeks. Id known her for thirty years . We were both divorced Mums when we met so supported each other with our children . Over the years we took holidays together, outings, cinema, theatre , shared politics, a love of books and art. I was retiring completely and leaving my part time job. We had loads of plans. Ive been totally devasted by her death and have found life very lonely and sad. My kids have been very supportive but its going to take time. She was the first person I told good news to and the one I turned to when it was bad news.

Harris27 Mon 11-Jul-16 17:14:23

I am sitting here waiting for news from my sister as our mum is in hospital and your sad news made me cry. Take care and remember the good times I lost my brother he was only37 and I still miss him especially at Christmas and family gatherings . It will get easier as time passes my love and condolences go out to you.x

harrysgran Mon 11-Jul-16 17:18:22

So sad for you sisters share a close bond they take a piece of your heart.

WilmaKnickersfit Mon 11-Jul-16 17:21:25

I can only imagine how you feel Fiona and send my condolences. flowers

jeapurs54 Mon 11-Jul-16 18:50:27

So sorry to hear of your loss You must think of all the great times you had together, places you went and maybe pay a visit later and leave a memento there to remember her - make a cd of all her favourite music it may be hard at present but this will in time bring you closer together and feel she is still with you and enjoying those precious moments.
I do not have a sister but I have a sister in law that I would miss if she was not around - she is younger than me though by quite a number of years so I will make the most of the great times we have together when we get the chance. Thinking of you with kind wishes XX

Desdemona Mon 11-Jul-16 19:15:51

Oh my darling, your pain must be indescribable. I am so sorry. As others have so eloquently written (and I wont even try to), you will learn to live with your loss...very gradually....over time.

In the meantime, all that any of us can do is offer lots of sincere love, hugs and prayers for you at this terribly sad time in your life.xxxxx