Gransnet forums

Bereavement

terminally ill granddaughter

(96 Posts)
teatime Fri 26-Oct-18 18:49:55

My granddaughter aged 9 was diagnosed with a brain tumour in May. She is now being given end of life care by the local hospice at home. My heart is broken, I love her so much. I used to look after her three times a week until a couple of years ago when her mother gave up work. My son and daughter in law now want it to be just them looking after her and I have to wait until they say I can visit, at present a couple of days a week. I do understand this but feel desperate at not being able to see her more. My biggest worry is that for the past 3 weeks she has been unable to speak, move, or open her eyes. She is fed via an NG tube. She can hear, and the thought that she may be so frightened but cannot tell anyone is terrifying.

POGS Fri 26-Oct-18 18:53:31

Oh teetime I can't find any words.

This is heart breaking news . flowers

Marydoll Fri 26-Oct-18 18:55:45

Oh Teatime, your pain must be unbearable. I cannot begin to imagine what you and your family are feeling or find the words to console you.
I can only offer my prayers and assure you that you will find comfort and support here.

Charleygirl5 Fri 26-Oct-18 18:56:48

I agree, the poor little mite. teatime that is heartbreaking for you and her parents.flowers

ginny Fri 26-Oct-18 19:00:14

Heartbreaking. So sorry , I don’t have any words but you and your family are in my thoughts.

tanith Fri 26-Oct-18 19:00:27

Heartbreaking for you and your family I have no words flowers

Grannyknot Fri 26-Oct-18 19:01:47

Teatime I'm so sorry. This is so very hard. Could you maybe send a recorded message for her to someone's mobile phone that could be played to her? She'd hear your voice.

Love and prayers.

Lynne59 Fri 26-Oct-18 19:01:56

teatime...that is so tragic. I can't imagine the heartbreak you and the parents are going through.

As the little girl is at end of life, I'd imagine she's on Morphine? A syringe driver possibly? If so, she won't be in pain and she'll be in a very deep sleep.

Terrible for you all. x

Day6 Fri 26-Oct-18 19:04:21

Oh teatime, I really didn't want to open the thread given the title. How terribly sad - heartbreaking. Life is so unfair.

I do hope you can be with her and hold her hand soon. I cannot imagine your pain. I am so sorry for you all and send all good wishes.

Annapops Fri 26-Oct-18 19:07:21

How devastating for you and your family. My heart goes out to you all as words can become so meaningless in situations such as these. May you all be given strength you need to endure this.

Teetime Fri 26-Oct-18 19:15:29

teatime I am so sorry and all I can say is as annapops says I hope that you are given the strength and love to come through. My thoughts are with you and your precious one.

teatime Fri 26-Oct-18 19:16:54

Thank you all for your kind words. The one blessing is that they don't think she is in any pain, so she isn't on morphine at the moment.

Willow500 Fri 26-Oct-18 19:17:00

Such a tragic situation- I can't begin to imagine what you are all going through. The idea to record a message is a good one and even if she's deeply asleep she will still hear it. My thoughts are with you.

Anniebach Fri 26-Oct-18 19:20:20

Teatime. Your pain must be ripping through you and the little one’s parents. There are no words which can ease it for you. X

J52 Fri 26-Oct-18 19:36:08

So sorry, you must be inconsolable. I am thinking of you and hope you find inner strength to see you through this terrible time ?X

Jobey68 Fri 26-Oct-18 19:52:23

Such a heartbreaking post to read, I am so very sorry and cannot even begin to imagine what you are going through as a family, my thoughts are with you all ❤️

Jane10 Fri 26-Oct-18 20:03:37

So very sorry to hear this. Poor little girl. Poor parents and, of course, poor you. I'll be thinking of you all and sending best wishes.

Nandalot Fri 26-Oct-18 20:10:21

Oh, Teatime, I am so sorry for you and your family. My thought and prayers are with you all.

BlueBelle Fri 26-Oct-18 20:13:14

Oh Teatime I m am so so sorry, this is so awful for you all Please do consider Grannyknots idea of a message for her Hearing is the last sense to go and she ll hear your voice sending her your love I hope you can see her very soon and hold her hand I m sure she’s not frightened I think it’s mostly those left behind that are frightened
Please take all our love and care to help you through xx

NfkDumpling Fri 26-Oct-18 20:13:33

Oh, teatime how bloody awful. How unfair. (((((((Hugs))))))) flowers

Bikerhiker Fri 26-Oct-18 20:14:59

Oh teatime how sad for you all. My thoughts are with you. X

M0nica Fri 26-Oct-18 20:20:13

What can I say that hasn't been said already? Just want to say how my heart goes out to you and your family and the little one gently leaving you.

Marmight Fri 26-Oct-18 20:34:00

So so sad for you all x

Sar53 Fri 26-Oct-18 20:41:03

Teatime so so sorry for everything you and your family are going through. My thoughts are with your little granddaughter xx

sodapop Fri 26-Oct-18 20:45:27

Oh teatime what a terrible time for you all, my thoughts and prayers are with you and your family God bless you all. flowers