Gransnet forums

Bereavement

terminally ill granddaughter

(97 Posts)
teatime Fri 26-Oct-18 18:49:55

My granddaughter aged 9 was diagnosed with a brain tumour in May. She is now being given end of life care by the local hospice at home. My heart is broken, I love her so much. I used to look after her three times a week until a couple of years ago when her mother gave up work. My son and daughter in law now want it to be just them looking after her and I have to wait until they say I can visit, at present a couple of days a week. I do understand this but feel desperate at not being able to see her more. My biggest worry is that for the past 3 weeks she has been unable to speak, move, or open her eyes. She is fed via an NG tube. She can hear, and the thought that she may be so frightened but cannot tell anyone is terrifying.

Jalima1108 Fri 26-Oct-18 20:46:56

teatime how sad, how unfair it can be sometimes.
I hope you can see her soon and offer some small comfort.

I am so sorry for all of you flowers

Doodle Fri 26-Oct-18 20:50:58

Oh teatime that is so sad. What a terrible time for you. I pray for some comfort for you all. So very very sorry.

MawBroon Fri 26-Oct-18 21:01:05

The saddest post I have ever read and it puts all the petty squabbling, nitpicking and triviality in perspective.
My deepest sympathy, love and prayers for you all flowers

oldbatty Fri 26-Oct-18 21:20:47

So so sad. The poor wee girl will drift off to a better place. So sorry.

nanaK54 Fri 26-Oct-18 21:29:19

My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family

ffinnochio Fri 26-Oct-18 21:38:16

Such sadness for you and your family Teatime flowers

cornergran Fri 26-Oct-18 21:38:40

I’m so sorry, although sorry doesn’t seem enough. Love to you all teetime, I can only imagine the pain that you are all carrying. It’s so hard to hear. My thoughts are and will be with you.

merlotgran Fri 26-Oct-18 21:42:38

So sorry to read your terribly sad news, teatime.

PECS Fri 26-Oct-18 21:46:44

This is such a sad situation. Heartfelt sympathies to you and your family. flowers

Apricity Fri 26-Oct-18 21:51:52

Teatime my heart is just breaking for you. I have years in my eyes as I write this. Having experienced a tiny grandchild diagnosed with an aggressive childhood cancer I can understand your grief. We were lucky and with wonderful care my darling grandchild has survived and continues to do well but it could so easily have been a different outcome.

Watching a precious little one suffer and slip away is devastating. I can only send you virtual hugs and thoughts from the other side of the world. Please look after yourself and the other family members who will also be grief stricken and heart broken. ❤️?❤️

Maggiemaybe Fri 26-Oct-18 21:56:55

I am so very sorry, teatime. flowers

SueDonim Fri 26-Oct-18 21:57:10

I'm so sorry, Teatime. There are no other words. flowers

52bright Fri 26-Oct-18 21:59:58

My deepest sympathy to you and yours Teatime. My thoughts and prayers are with you all.

Bellanonna Fri 26-Oct-18 22:01:33

Tears as I read your post Teatime. Terribly, terribly sad.

phoenix Fri 26-Oct-18 22:06:43

flowers

Nannylovesshopping Fri 26-Oct-18 22:13:42

So so sorry Teatime she knows you love her

Luckygirl Fri 26-Oct-18 22:27:06

Such a distressing situation for you all. flowers

silverlining48 Fri 26-Oct-18 22:27:18

I can only imagine your pain.
Your poor granddaughter, her parents, you, are all in my thoughts. I am so very sorry teatime.

gillybob Fri 26-Oct-18 22:31:31

Oh teatime I really can’t find the words to tell you how sorry I am for you, your Darling little granddaughter and her parents . I really can’t begin to imagine what pain you are all going though. My thoughts are with you all tonight xx

Grammaretto Fri 26-Oct-18 22:35:19

How terrible for you all. I wish there was something I could say or do to comfort you.
I hope you see her.
She knows she's loved.

Allegretto Fri 26-Oct-18 22:36:01

Teatime, I am so sorry that your granddaughter is so ill. I can only imagine how sad and helpless you are feeling. You and all your family are in my thoughts and prayers.

Auntieflo Fri 26-Oct-18 22:39:28

Teatime, most of what I was thinking has already been said .
I send you love and prayers for the strength to help you, your son and daughter in law cope with this sad situation.

Nanagem Fri 26-Oct-18 22:51:47

I don’t know what to say, hugs, flowers, nothing is enough. I think I can speak for everyone here when I say you can always come here. I know we aren’t “real”, but then strangers can be better in some cases.

But I’m sure there are, and will be times when you want to cry, shout , scream, you can do all of that here. My thoughts are with you.

Bathsheba Fri 26-Oct-18 23:14:45

Oh God, teatime what a bloody awful hand fate has played this poor little love. I am so sorry, there are no words of comfort. You must be in a living hell, I just can't imagine. Thinking of you and praying for you all, especially for your darling granddaughter, wishing her peace.

grannyqueenie Fri 26-Oct-18 23:14:56

It’s the worst of all worlds, watching a precious granddaughter slip away and your own child suffer so much too. Thinking of you as you try to stand back and be led by your son and daughter in law. x