Gransnet forums

Bereavement

terminally ill granddaughter

(97 Posts)
teatime Fri 26-Oct-18 18:49:55

My granddaughter aged 9 was diagnosed with a brain tumour in May. She is now being given end of life care by the local hospice at home. My heart is broken, I love her so much. I used to look after her three times a week until a couple of years ago when her mother gave up work. My son and daughter in law now want it to be just them looking after her and I have to wait until they say I can visit, at present a couple of days a week. I do understand this but feel desperate at not being able to see her more. My biggest worry is that for the past 3 weeks she has been unable to speak, move, or open her eyes. She is fed via an NG tube. She can hear, and the thought that she may be so frightened but cannot tell anyone is terrifying.

janeainsworth Fri 26-Oct-18 23:38:38

I am so very sorry teatime, you are having to bear a double burden of grief for your little granddaughter and seeing the suffering of your son and daughter in law too. My heart goes out to you.

Nana3 Fri 26-Oct-18 23:59:16

Sending my love to you and your family, we are all thinking of you xx

Marydoll Sat 27-Oct-18 00:05:26

I cannot stop thinking about this thread and the suffering of teatime and her family.?

Scooter58 Sat 27-Oct-18 00:33:27

Thinking of you all at this awfull heartbreaking time flowers

grannyactivist Sat 27-Oct-18 01:51:48

Teatime I'm wakeful and have come on GN for the first time today, so have only just read this post. I am so, so sorry for the difficult situation you face and the pain of loss that you're anticipating. There is nothing to say that will change the circumstances, but know that others are holding you in prayer and kindliness of thought. In time there are many on here who can journey alongside you on a path they've already taken, but for now just get through each day as best you can. flowers

Marelli Sat 27-Oct-18 07:12:11

Teetime, I'm sure there are just no words that can bring you any comfort, but perhaps knowing that there are so many of us here, thinking about you, your son and daughter-in-law and your precious little granddaughter, will give you a wee bit of strength to get through this awful time. Xx

Andyf Sat 27-Oct-18 07:42:54

Teatime I am so very sorry for you and your family. No one should have to suffer what you are all going through.
I wish I could find a few comforting words but I really don’t think there are any.
Thinking of you all.

rascal Sat 27-Oct-18 07:50:59

I am so sorry ? flowers

Greyduster Sat 27-Oct-18 08:13:47

I am totally consumed with sadness for you, teatime, and for your family. I will pray for you all.?

Brunette10 Sat 27-Oct-18 08:28:31

teatime, I am so so sad for you all. I have just read this thread. You must be so heartbroken. I send virtual hugs and kisses for you all and you will be in my thoughts. I am so very sorry.

jusnoneed Sat 27-Oct-18 08:40:56

So sorry to read about your granddaughter, such a hard thing for you all to go through.
My friend lost her 22yr old daughter to the same illness earlier this year, though they did have some time to make a lot of happy memories with her which has helped them cope a little.
I hope you have lots of support over the next weeks.

Alygran Sat 27-Oct-18 08:59:49

Thinking of you and your family flowers

ninathenana Sat 27-Oct-18 09:04:17

Thinking of you and your family.
((hugs))

Blinko Sat 27-Oct-18 09:35:35

This must be the saddest post. I am so sorry for your pain Teatime. And hers. Poor little girl, poor you, poor family. flowers

bikergran Sat 27-Oct-18 09:42:39

Thinking of all your family...

nigglynellie Sat 27-Oct-18 09:52:40

I have only just read this thread, and I am in tears writing this. Teatime, I can't begin to tell you how sorry I am for you and your family at this devastating time. Poor little girl and poor poor all of you. hugs. x

Baggs Sat 27-Oct-18 10:00:16

teatime, what a very hard place you are in! I'm so sorry flowers

kittylester Sat 27-Oct-18 10:06:34

I am so sorry too, teatime!

PamelaJ1 Sat 27-Oct-18 11:32:52

I’m glad I’m not writing this in ink- it would be smudged.
I can’t even begin to imagine your pain.
Thinking of you and sending lots of comforting thoughts?

Izabella Sat 27-Oct-18 11:49:30

teatime like so many others I have no words that will really help you at the moment. What is lovely for you is the support you have here at this terrible time.

One day you will be able to console yourself that you have done so much for this special child, and that she died loved, adored and secure.

Sadly no one can reduce your grief. It is the price we all pay for loving.

Grandmashe43 Sat 27-Oct-18 12:43:33

No words just hugs and prayers xxx

kezia Sat 27-Oct-18 13:23:10

No words xxx

GrannyGravy13 Sat 27-Oct-18 14:31:30

Virtual hugs and prayers for you and your family.

travelsafar Sat 27-Oct-18 14:55:41

My heart breaks for you, no words are enough to heal your pain. sad

Juggernaut Sat 27-Oct-18 15:08:56

There are just no words. flowersflowersflowers