Gransnet forums

Bereavement

Golden Wedding Anniversary

(34 Posts)
Granny23 Fri 15-Feb-19 10:12:44

It is (or should have been) my Sister's Golden Wedding on (of all things) Brexit Day. It was our GW 3 years ago and my Sister, who was of course my Bridesmaid, joined forces with my DDs to organise a wonderful celebration for us. I was her Bridesmaid 50 years ago and would like to do something special for her to mark the day.

BUT, and it is a big BUT, she has been widowed for 6 years and I haven't a clue as to what might be appropriate, or indeed, if it would be best to leave the day unmarked. Hence my post seeking guidance from Gransnetters who may have been 'celebrating' a big anniversary on their own. Any thoughts?

4allweknow Fri 15-Feb-19 22:07:25

As said, it isn't a celebration but would be good if a gesture to mark the anniversary is made. The golden flowers or an afternoon tea just to chat about the day and memories seem good. Wouldn't make it a grand occasion as after all a very important part of the anniversary is missing.

vickymeldrew Sat 16-Feb-19 01:22:58

I think it’s lovely that Granny23 is being so thoughtful. However, I don’t think you should be tiptoeing around the subject too much. All this ‘carefully worded’ stuff mIght come across as a bit over the top. Your sister will be pleased you have remembered her special anniversary. Not a lot of point asking her what she wants to do either, as until the day she wont know how she feels. Speak to her DD and say you’re thinking of taking her DM out for a pub lunch to mark the day. Ask if she would like to come with you and go with a big bunch of flowers . Take champagne back to her house and maybe look through the old wedding phitos. Bitter sweet day for everyone.

BlueSapphire Sat 16-Mar-19 16:37:13

This year on April 19th it will be the 50th anniversary of our first date, and I shall certainly be remembering it, as it was the day before my birthday! Sadly DH died last year, so will not be here to share it with me, but I have many happy (and funny) memories of that day. I have something planned to do. I think all the above ideas are great and would dearly love my family to do any of them.
Our Golden Wedding would have been in three years, and hope to do something special to mark it. I love any excuse to talk about DH and to remember the good times and would not want anyone pussyfooting around me for fear of upsetting me.

EllanVannin Sat 16-Mar-19 17:28:28

I would say flowers too. Get a florist to mix a nice bunch.

Grammaretto Sat 16-Mar-19 18:08:11

This year will be our golden one but we are going away just the two of us.

My grand MiL lost her DH a few weeks before what would have been their 50th. We were the only people who gave her a present and she said she loved getting it. No one else knew what to do.

I hope you share a nice time with your sister.

mcem Sat 16-Mar-19 19:11:38

September will bring what would have been out GW if we hadn't divorced after 25 tears.
After a few ups n downs we're quite good friends, including his wife of 10 years. With shared AC and DGC we'll probably have a drink together.
It is so different when you have so many happy years together and find yourself wondering how to acknowledge the date.
Friends this week celebrated 60 years. She is my son's godmother and they are the 'other GPS' of my 2 wee ones.
Sadly the relationship of their DS and my DD didn't last!

Ebonyblu Wed 20-Mar-19 14:15:53

I lost my husband after 53yrs I was with him 4yrs before we got married it would have been our golden wedding six months after he passed but I couldn’t celebrate at the time without him, it was nice though that my family thought of me on the day and remembered that it would have been our anniversary.

Granny23 Thu 28-Mar-19 11:25:49

Just reporting back now that sister's Anniversary is nearly here. I bit the bullet and phoned her son and daughter, neither of whom had given the anniversary a thought but both thanked me for the head's up and said they would talk to each other and decide what to do.

Yesterday, being DH's day at day care, I treated Sister to lunch in her current favourite restaurant and gave her an exotic Golden houseplant. We chatted about her wedding and honeymoon and all the funny things that happened then.

She told me that out of the blue her son had suggested taking her out for dinner on Friday and her daughter had invited her to go up to stay with her and the DGC for a long weekend - a very rare occurrence, her DD said part Anniversary, part Mother's Day treat. She said she was incredibly touched that they had remembered (I just agreed that it was wonderful) as they are usually not good about marking events, and she was glad she would not be spending these days alone.

Thank you all for your suggestions, which have led to this happy conclusion. flowers