Gransnet forums

Bereavement

What to put in Christmas Card to bereaved parents?

(58 Posts)
Yangste1007 Mon 09-Dec-19 19:19:27

I'm struggling with a Christmas card to a cousin and his wife. They lost a daughter this summer to breast cancer. She was 33 years old. I would like to say something to acknowledge their loss at this time of year. Any suggestions? The card I am sending them does not say 'merry' or 'happy' but instead says best wishes for C & the NY.

GrannyGrunter Sat 23-Dec-23 09:08:27

I could not believe how many Christmas cards I received a few weeks after my husband died from stupid so called friends and neighbours wishing me a happy christmas and a wonderful new year.

All I wanted was a card that stated. I am thinking of you at Christmas. Nothing more, nothing less.

I have come to the conclusion, that unless they lose the loves of their lives, they will never comprehend what we grievers go through. One day they will and I will send them a card wishing them a lovely christmas and a fantastic new year.

silverlining48 Sat 23-Dec-23 15:00:13

That was very thoughtless GG. People must dash off their cards en mass without thinking who they are writing to.
I am thinking of you is just right in the circumstances and I am thinking of you now. flowers

Iam64 Sat 23-Dec-23 18:53:43

this is my 2nd Christmas without my lovely husband. Close friends have sent beautiful cards, with kind, thoughtful messages. I opened one today from a woman who worked with my dad, then with me in training police/social workers to interview children. She’s 92nand lost her life companion 4 years ago. Her card simply said, with love ftom x, I do hope things are easier for you this year. That message will stay with me - human kindness and compassion does exist x

Caleo Sat 23-Dec-23 19:15:32

'' God love you''

RosiesMaw Sat 23-Dec-23 19:53:00

Thinking of you.

Birthto110 Mon 25-Dec-23 19:19:06

We have tragically lost a child and are confused by the number of good people who write jolly jolly messages which, with the best will in the world, are no longer appropriate eg 'have loads of fun' - 'have the best Xmas ever' - 'have a wonderful time'. 'Hope 2024 is the best year so far'. With clearly no thought at all. Don't expect much but the jolly fun ones are hard to read - luckily I can gloss over it most of the time. They don't mean it ....but really?????

Caleo Mon 25-Dec-23 22:44:15

You are justified in being angry at that lack of imagination.

Your awful burden of grief will become acceptable.
It's true what they say about dead people: they will never be hurt again, because loss and suffering are compatible only with mortal life.