Gransnet forums

Bereavement

The bit in between (waiting for the funeral) ?

(44 Posts)
morethan2 Fri 24-Jul-20 18:29:39

A lot of you will know my DiL died recently. The funeral has been arranged. So we are all at that horrible stage of dread. We know it has to be done but it’s an truly horrible anxiety period of waiting. As well as bursting into tears and the horrible sadness I’m getting really anxious. We know and understand that numbers will be limited inside but people can line the route and stand outside. There’s a wake after the service and the venue can accommodate a lot of people with social distancing for those who feel strongly about complying. Some are coming from 200 miles away. My relatives are travelling and will have to stay three days.many will be in hotels but obviously there’ll be lot of ‘gatherings’ probably at my house I would normally feel a little anxious about feeding and occupying relatives but now I’m getting into a real state about it. Im tired and emotionally drained. Im also worried about those who want to social distance. It’ll be near impossible, what with three young children who’ll run to much loved relatives for comfort. To make matters worse my oldest grandson(23) is insisting (he’s already bought the ticket) on coming by train. He’s autistic and will have a long train journey and have to manage the underground by himself. He’s never done that before. I don’t know what to worry about the most. I’m starting to feel completely overwhelmed and with a feeling of absolute dread.
The other thing is I’m not sure about going to see my DiL in the chapel of rest. At first I said no. I spent a lot of time with my DiL before she went to the hospice. We became very close but my memory is of her in such distress that maybe if I saw her at peace it might help. It’s such a difficult decision. Oh dear sad

kittylester Tue 04-Aug-20 21:26:12

I don't know what to say to help, morethan. But I send you all a huge hug and the hope you can begin to move on. That must have been the hardest day imaginable. I admire your strength. You know we are here if you need us.

Someone will be along with just the right words to comfort you. Take care of yourself and all your lovely family - I know you will.

midgey Tue 04-Aug-20 21:30:56

More than thinking of you and all your family. flowers

cornergran Tue 04-Aug-20 21:33:56

No, I don’t have the words either morethan, maybe there aren’t any just now. You’ve been strong and a wonderful support, please think of yourself as well as others. Love and a hug from me.

sodapop Tue 04-Aug-20 21:45:22

Cornergran has it exactly right morethan I can't add any more. Love and hugs from me too.

crazyH Tue 04-Aug-20 21:56:41

Oh Morethan , I am so, so sorry - I hope that you and your family, your son , their children , your dil’s family will get strength from somewhere, to cope during the next days, weeks, months, years . Thinking of you all flowers

geekesse Tue 04-Aug-20 22:14:58

I can say nothing that will help, but I’ll hold you all in my thoughts. Thank you for sharing with us.

merlotgran Wed 05-Aug-20 14:27:59

Now you'll be able to begin your own grieving process, morethan. Supporting everyone is exhausting when you have to put your own feelings aside for their sakes especially when young children need you.

The funeral is a good day to have behind you. Your 'goodbyes' haven't all been said but now you'll be able to choose when and where you whisper them.

GrannyGravy13 Wed 05-Aug-20 14:33:13

I have not got the right words morethan but please be gentle on yourself.

Your DS and GC will take a long time to adjust and no doubt need you more than ever, but and it is a big but you must rest and find time for you.

mumofmadboys Wed 05-Aug-20 14:42:36

Thinking of you all xx

Kate1949 Wed 05-Aug-20 19:00:06

morethan flowers

quizqueen Wed 05-Aug-20 19:13:21

Why not cut out visits to your home altogether except for the very closest of relatives. As you not actually the mother of the deceased, why is the onus on you to entertain the mourners? Agree to meet people in the garden at their hotel instead and that will cut out one of your worries.

kittylester Wed 05-Aug-20 19:14:53

quizqueen

Why not cut out visits to your home altogether except for the very closest of relatives. As you not actually the mother of the deceased, why is the onus on you to entertain the mourners? Agree to meet people in the garden at their hotel instead and that will cut out one of your worries.

The funeral has happened.

Puzzler61 Wed 05-Aug-20 19:31:47

Morethan I hope sometime soon you, your son and your grandchildren can find some peace in your lives. The last months have taken their toll and life will not be the same.
But you must gather all that strength you have and start a new future. You are grieving now,
but in time it is important for the children that you once again celebrate their Birthdays, and Christmas and give them permission to be happy again.
Not yet. ........ but you will know when the time is right.
You are wonderful, and have done everything you possibly could. Much love to you all XX

Puzzler61 Wed 05-Aug-20 19:33:01

Thinking of your dear daughter-in-law’srelatives too X

Sar53 Wed 05-Aug-20 21:07:05

Hard to know what to say, but wanted to send love and for you to know that we are all here for you whenever you need us flowers xx

Doodle Wed 05-Aug-20 23:01:49

I don’t know what to say either morethan. Just hope that brave little boy knows it’s ok to cry. Perhaps if he’s on his own with you one day. It is so very sad for all of you. I can’t imagine how difficult all this has been. I pray for strength and peace for you all.

harrysgran Thu 06-Aug-20 20:51:10

I have no advice for you but my sympathy and prays are with you at this sad time

Namsnanny Tue 11-Aug-20 10:52:37

morethan ... thankyou for finding the time to keep us informed.....
I cannot find the words, but others have.
Thinking of your family over this time.flowers