Gransnet forums

Bereavement

Queen Elizabeth hosting the American President so soon after her recent bereavement

(112 Posts)
IslandGranny Thu 03-Jun-21 18:33:30

I just heard in the news that Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth is hosting the Bidens at Windsor castle this coming weekend. I just think it’s far to soon to expect her to do any sort of public duty. How can she be expected to make conversation or listen to other people, it’s too much for anyone in that situation. I remember not being able to function at any level after my husband died. I wasn’t safe to drive and goodness knows what rubbish I spoke to people. Emotionally you are all over the place. What if she feels sad and cries. For goodness sake it’s like some sort of torture putting her on show and expecting her to perform for those American Muppets who won’t appreciate her sacrifice anyway. I’m surprised Prince Charles hasn’t stepped in, he’s more than ready to do state occasions.!Surely her time of bereavement would be a year or so at least.

Alegrias1 Fri 04-Jun-21 20:15:14

Calendargirl

Don’t think she will Alegrias (abdicate, that is).

Neither do I Calendargirl.

Lucca Fri 04-Jun-21 21:12:02

crazygranny

Joe Biden has had more than his fair share of grief. His wife and daughter were killed in a car accident when he was in his thirties. He and his present wife lost a son to cancer only a few years ago. Biden is a man noted for his compassion and I doubt the queen's loss has escaped his attention. I am sure he will be the best possible head of state to spend time with.

Exactly.

I’d still like to know what Isalnd gran means by “American muppets “.........

welbeck Sat 05-Jun-21 00:32:33

maybe that was what she regarded as a touch of humour ?
reminds me of the so-called banter in workplaces etc, where women and differing ethnicities were routinely insulted and belittled.
and expected not to react negatively to it.

CAH65 Sat 05-Jun-21 03:23:29

Our Queen is a lovely person and is quite strong.

Sparky56 Sat 05-Jun-21 07:59:21

The first ones definitely a spoof - the queen would never voice a personal opinion like that!!! hmm

Shropshirelass Sat 05-Jun-21 08:04:59

I am sure the Queen will want to have some normality in her life, she has been dedicated to her duties as our Queen and I think this will keep her going. The Bidens are very sympathetic people (it would have been a very different story had it been the Trumps!!). After my husband died at quite a young age I found that returning to work gave me something to focus on and some structure in my like, plus the support of people round me. Without this I would have been floundering around with daily life.

Lovetopaint037 Sat 05-Jun-21 09:00:35

Doesn’t the Queen have to meet a real Muppet when she does her regular meetings with our chaotic PM. She is a strong person and intelligent enough to know what she wants to do.

ayokunmi1 Sat 05-Jun-21 10:59:03

Good for her dignity and grace.
What would you expect a weeping,distraught widow.
Death is a passage of life.How blessed she was to have had him for as long as she did.
Gratitude and grace is what would be expected.
Good on her.

MarjieM Tue 15-Jun-21 14:03:19

I’m in total awe. I can barely function six months on from my husband’s death.

Atqui Tue 15-Jun-21 22:46:02

As one r two people have already said, I have never seen so many pictures of HM looking happy and relaxed as in recent days

Anniebach Tue 15-Jun-21 22:51:12

Her husband was very ill for sometime, we don’t know , quite possible he wanted to die, and the Queen has a very strong faith.