Gransnet forums

Bereavement

Queen Elizabeth hosting the American President so soon after her recent bereavement

(111 Posts)
IslandGranny Thu 03-Jun-21 18:33:30

I just heard in the news that Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth is hosting the Bidens at Windsor castle this coming weekend. I just think it’s far to soon to expect her to do any sort of public duty. How can she be expected to make conversation or listen to other people, it’s too much for anyone in that situation. I remember not being able to function at any level after my husband died. I wasn’t safe to drive and goodness knows what rubbish I spoke to people. Emotionally you are all over the place. What if she feels sad and cries. For goodness sake it’s like some sort of torture putting her on show and expecting her to perform for those American Muppets who won’t appreciate her sacrifice anyway. I’m surprised Prince Charles hasn’t stepped in, he’s more than ready to do state occasions.!Surely her time of bereavement would be a year or so at least.

Ladyleftfieldlover Thu 03-Jun-21 18:41:01

She has performed several Royal duties since Philip died and had a smile on her face. I am sure the Bidens will be perfect guests, especially considering their own history of grief. Don’t forget the RF seem to handle these sorts of occasions with rather more poise than us mere mortals.

Riverwalk Thu 03-Jun-21 18:41:32

American Muppets?

MawBe Thu 03-Jun-21 18:41:37

She’s been “back in harness” for a wee time now at her own request doing the job she loves doing.
No “widow of Windsor” here ! tcrsmile

Esspee Thu 03-Jun-21 18:42:07

Everyone handles bereavement differently. I am sure if she wasn’t up to it she would be discouraged by family and advisors.

MawBe Thu 03-Jun-21 18:43:22

I also would never describe the Bidens as muppets!
Their predecessors maybe but these are intelligent, cultured people who will probably be ideal guests.

AmberSpyglass Thu 03-Jun-21 18:43:50

American muppets? You mean the democratically elected head of state as opposed to the parasitic nonsense we have?

Whitewavemark2 Thu 03-Jun-21 18:44:35

The Queen wouldn’t do it if she didn’t want to. Give her some credit!

GrannyGravy13 Thu 03-Jun-21 18:52:18

Perhaps working is The Queens coping mechanism?

Anniebach Thu 03-Jun-21 18:57:20

She may have lost him before his death and grieved then.

Kamiso Thu 03-Jun-21 18:58:57

Quite likely she wants to get back to what’s normality for her. I wonder ifBiden is as fragile as the media imply?

SueDonim Thu 03-Jun-21 19:04:30

American Muppets? shock

Everyone deals with bereavement differently. My mum wanted to get back to ‘normal’ as quickly as possible. Maybe the Queen is the same. You can’t impose your experience onto other people.

Parsley3 Thu 03-Jun-21 19:12:20

The Queen puts duty before all else and the Bidens will be gracious guests so there is no need to fret for her wellbeing, Island.

wildswan16 Thu 03-Jun-21 19:17:52

The Queen has been putting work and duty first for 70 years. I am quite sure she is able to know what she is capable of doing, and has already carried out many public engagements.

I don't think it is any of our business to decide how other people should grieve their loved ones, and we shouldn't make the mistake of transferring our personal feelings on to others.

lemsip Thu 03-Jun-21 19:24:46

she is 'at work' it is her job. personal things are put aside by the queen.

Kali2 Thu 03-Jun-21 19:28:12

Good for her. Respect.

glammagran Thu 03-Jun-21 19:31:04

How do you know how the queen feels? Do you know her personally?

Callistemon Thu 03-Jun-21 19:32:38

MawBe

I also would never describe the Bidens as muppets!
Their predecessors maybe but these are intelligent, cultured people who will probably be ideal guests.

She will do her duty as always.

I am sure she will appreciate entertaining the Bidens after having to endure Trump.

Callistemon Thu 03-Jun-21 19:34:31

AmberSpyglass

American muppets? You mean the democratically elected head of state as opposed to the parasitic nonsense we have?

Stupid post.

As always she will behave impeccably (some posters don't understand those two words of course).

Hithere Thu 03-Jun-21 20:21:41

If she couldn't handle it, she wouldnt do it.

Simple

EllanVannin Thu 03-Jun-21 20:25:35

They're programmed not to show emotion. Stiff upper lip job.

varian Thu 03-Jun-21 20:28:04

I am sure that the meeting with President Biden will be much easier for Her Majesty than the meeting she had with his ghastly predecessor.

Lin52 Thu 03-Jun-21 20:31:08

The Queen certainly represents our country with a welcome to all, even having to put up with the Democratically elected orange muppet.

MawBe Thu 03-Jun-21 20:40:24

Lin52

The Queen certainly represents our country with a welcome to all, even having to put up with the Democratically elected orange muppet.

Am I alone in not understanding this post?
Biden is not an orange muppet.
Trump is history.
If you mean when she had to put up with Trump why not say so?

Urmstongran Thu 03-Jun-21 20:50:31

It will be her first meeting in person with a foreign head of state since the pandemic hit, and the first since the death of the Duke of Edinburgh in April.

Amazing to think this will be the 13th POTUS she has met.

I think she ‘flicks a switch’ and goes into ‘work mode’. She can (somehow) hold her emotions in check. Duty comes first.

One has to admire how she does it - especially at her age.