Gransnet forums

Bereavement

Internment of ashes

(27 Posts)
travelsafar Fri 09-Jul-21 10:55:31

As many of you know my husband died in January a victim of Covid. I have had his ashes at home but now i want to have them interned at the local cemetary. I have been in touch with the local council and been directed to their website for burials but it suddenly came into my head that we may need a vicar, humanist etc, just to say words as the ashes are put into the ground. Has anyone experience of the procedure please. We didnt have a proper funeral as DH had paid for a simple service which under the circumstances worked fine, i was still recovering from covid, not many people would have been allowed to attend and there would have been no gathering afterwards. Having the ashes interned seems to be the opportunity to do something special. Any ideas would be most welcome.

Shandy57 Tue 21-Sep-21 23:28:17

I had my husband's ashes and was happy to keep them in the house with me, but my kids said they wanted somewhere permanent to visit him, also thinking of future generations.

I bought a plot for £168 at our local cemetery, and we did have the vicar in attendance. About a year later we finally got the wording right, and I had a headstone made. I've just been today and am very glad they've finally done the paths, they were in a dreadful state.