Gransnet forums

Bereavement

I feel broken today

(74 Posts)
maddyone Thu 02-Mar-23 15:05:44

I’ve just driven to my local shops and parked the car. I’m sitting in the car crying. I see so many sights that remind me of my mother on the way here, her flats, the shops she liked etc. She died last August. Our relationship wasn’t always easy but I loved her. I did so much for her after she moved to be near us after my father died. I went to the flat two days ago to pick up the post and ended up crying there too. I miss her so much and would just like to see her again.
My daughter and her family moved to New Zealand eighteen months ago. I miss them so much too. Now my daughter’s marriage has broken up. We spent two months in New Zealand and have just returned. We had such a lot to do with the children since the day they were born and it was wonderful to see them and it was very clear that they were equally delighted to see us. My granddaughter clung to me and broke her heart when we said goodbye, likewise my daughter.
When we got home I had to carry on with sorting out mum’s things including her estate. The flat was sold but we lost the buyer. I had to tell my sister who is a difficult person to deal with, estranged as she is from two of her children. And barely speaks to her third. She was so, so nasty on the phone to me which really upset me again. She’s demanded her share of the estate after having agreed we would share it all out in one go at the end. I just sent it to her, I can’t deal with her nastiness any longer.
I’m sorry, I’m just pouring it all out. I know no one has a solution, it is what it is. There’s lots more background to all this but you’ve read enough if you’ve got this far.
Thanks for reading.

maddyone Sat 11-Mar-23 13:47:09

I don’t know if I will see her again.

Smileless2012 Sat 11-Mar-23 13:59:54

It's so hard isn't it Maddy. Our DS is in Aus. and was living there when his marriage broke down, no children but it's really difficult knowing what they're dealing with and not being there physically.

We don't know if we'll see him again. We've gone 4 times and don't think he'll come here to visit. He does talk about it but that's as far as he gets so we really feel that if we don't go there, we wont see him.

It's an arduous journey and very expensive but the thought of never seeing him again is heartbreaking flowers.

JaneJudge Sat 11-Mar-23 14:00:29

sad flowers

Urmstongran Sat 11-Mar-23 14:38:14

Oh maddyone that sounds so sad. Has anything happened recently to upset you so? That just sounds so final. I can only imagine your daughter and her children intend to remain in NZ.
💐

maddyone Sat 11-Mar-23 14:39:58

Yes, something happened.

Callistemon21 Sat 11-Mar-23 15:51:22

maddyone

I don’t know if I will see her again.

Yes you will, keep saving and planning your next trip.

MayBee70 Sat 11-Mar-23 15:56:55

DH and his brother haven’t spoken since they divided their mum’s estate after she died. Such a sad time but it often opens up a can of worms. What is upsetting is knowing that the last thing the deceased person would want is their family arguing about it all.

Joshua21 Thu 20-Apr-23 12:16:54

Hi am sorry to read about how you feel.and totally agree. Lost my mum.last December and to me life will.never be the same without her.Am.so lost myself and wonder how any6is supposed to cope. My.only.salvation is work that takes my.mind off it . Wish I could meet up.with others who understand

maddyone Sun 23-Apr-23 10:56:56

Me too Joshua I’m continuing to find it difficult as I’m sure you will be. It hits like a ton of bricks doesn’t it? I grieved my dad when he died, but this feels worse. Maybe it’s because they’ve both gone now. I know it’s the circle of life and the natural thing as my husband keeps reminding me, but I just find it difficult.
It doesn’t help that my sister has washed her hands of helping with clearing up the estate despite ringing the solicitor and telling him that I’ll stop her getting her share of the money. She’s already had some which led to the bank closing the account and now I have to pay expenses on mum’s flat out of my own money, but if I try to claim it back when everything is finalised she’ll probably make a fuss and say I’m not due to it. She only cares about money, not our mother.

Antonia Sun 23-Apr-23 15:08:53

I'm sorry to know that you are upset Maddy one. Life can be so cruel. I hope you will feel a little better as time passes. Sending hugs.

Smileless2012 Sun 23-Apr-23 15:14:40

maddyflowers. If you can afford not to claim this money back then leave it, rather than having to engage with her any further.

When everything to do with your mum's estate has been sorted I'm sure you'll be able to finally grieve for your loss in peace, if that makes sense. Having to deal with your sister has made everything so much harder and unnecessarily so.

Farzanah Sun 23-Apr-23 15:26:13

You have so much to bear maddyone and am sending you lots of good wishes and hugs. Try and take one day at a time, and importantly be kind to yourself.

maddyone Sun 23-Apr-23 16:08:21

Thank you everyone. My son running the London Marathon today has lifted my spirits considerably since this morning. The grief comes and goes, as you all know, but mornings are often difficult.
I was hoping that Joshua would come back on as she’s clearly struggling, but she hasn’t.
The ongoing difficulties with my sister really do make things worse for me. It’ll be better when the estate is finally sorted out.

Harris27 Sun 23-Apr-23 16:15:58

Bless you you will get through this but it will take time. Make time for yourself and keep away from nasty people who bring you down. Surround yourself with good memories and look after yourself. Sending you virtual hugs.💐

Allsorts Mon 08-May-23 21:13:45

How are you Maddyone?

maddyone Tue 09-May-23 11:17:57

Allsorts how kind of you to come back to ask me. I’m better I think, not so down, most mornings not so bad. I still miss my mother of course, and certain places still evoke feelings of loss, but I’m improving gradually.

I’ve decided to have nothing more to do with my sister after everything is settled. It’s sad but for the best. Her mental health issues make a normal relationship with her impossible. She is too manipulative and cruel, but the worst thing for me was her accusations that I’m trying to stop her getting her money, which is totally untrue, and I found these accusations very hurtful, especially since my husband and I did everything for mum for several years before she died, and have sorted out her estate and cleared her flat single handedly, or between us I mean, as sister hasn’t lifted a finger, but merely hurt me with horrible and to me vile accusations. So it’s for the best I think.

I was still hoping Joshua would come back, but she hasn’t. I hope she’s okay.

Caleo Tue 09-May-23 11:28:56

Maddyone, Of course you feel broken! It would be odd if you did not feel that too much of your world has ended for you. Please remember you have enough spirit to rebuild upon and will do so.

Caleo Tue 09-May-23 11:34:31

Maddyone, I am not trying to defend your sister's actions. I just want to say that she is as she is because life has handed that to her, to be as she is.

I am sure you are doing the best you can in those circumstances. Perhaps you may like to leave the door ajar for when your sister is more friendly, while in the meantime taking care of your own interests and peace of mind.

maddyone Tue 09-May-23 12:09:49

Thank you for your kindness Caleo. Unfortunately my sister has had over forty years of issues and causing severe pain to members of her family, including my mother and father when she cut them off for seven years many years ago, and she prevented my niece and nephews from seeing their grandparents. My mother had certain qualities that were sometimes difficult to deal with, but she did not deserve that treatment. My sister is alcoholic and has had a lot of treatment through the mental health hospital in her area, and she did seem to improve for a while. After her husband died I tried to support her and I did. My husband sorted out a whole lot of things for her and I arranged several holidays and visits and all sorts of things, but she gradually fell back into form and started to be extremely nasty and unkind. It’s a long story with a long history. I did my best and all her children said as much, especially given previous behaviours. She frequently refused to speak to mum in her final years and this upset mum. Eventually after a few months she’d be in touch again. I finally snapped after she told me that if mum died during Covid, that mum would die of isolation not Covid. This was to me because mum lived near me and sister didn’t. We did everything to keep mum safe during Covid, I won’t list it all here. After this I had little to do with my sister, but despite this I hosted her when mum was dying and later for the funeral. She was obstructive about funeral arrangements and it was difficult. I even gave her money because she had none for train fares. The final straw came with allegations of theft and allegations of my being obstructive over mum’s estate. Even our solicitor called her ‘a tedious woman.’ She has nothing to do with two of her adult children because of her unreasonable and horrible behaviour, and little to do with a third child. Only one tolerates her ‘because she has no one else.’

As you see, there is a long and complicated history. Sorry to bore you with it, but I think the final straw has broken the camel’s back. I cannot tolerate her abusive behaviour any longer, she has simply added to my grief. She doesn’t really care about mum, just about the money. She was equally terribly behaved when dad died, again leaving everything to myself and my husband. I have to accept she’s a disturbed and unpleasant person.

Caleo Tue 09-May-23 12:16:41

She is not a bad person she is a person who does bad things.

Obviously you are the strong one.

maddyone Tue 09-May-23 13:04:49

I don’t always feel very strong though Caleo. I think it’s best I don’t have anything more to do with her after the estate is settled. I do feel regret that I can’t have a relationship with her, but I just know it’s not possible. She won’t change now.

Caleo Tue 09-May-23 16:21:06

But Maddyone, your strength is your patience, endurance, and your ability to reason about what to do next.

maddyone Tue 09-May-23 16:38:53

Thank you Caleo. You’re very kind.