Gransnet forums

Bereavement

Everyday people we miss

(59 Posts)
LRavenscroft Thu 09-Mar-23 09:38:34

I live in a close of houses that was built in the early sixties. In those days it was vibrant with small children but now it is mostly pensioners. Just had the news that another gentleman has died unexpectedly at the age of 80. We lost another lovely man last summer. They were both very chatty, pleasant and local people who we knew forever. Life is too short. I've got to an age where I feel I need to embrace the good and positive and avoid the negative (if I can!). Very happy memories of 2 lovely people.

silverlining48 Thu 09-Mar-23 09:53:23

I understand what you mean. When we moved here we had young children and most of the other neighbours were elderly. As the years have passed our children have grown with children of their own, people have died and young families are moving in. They probably refer to us as the old couple over the road but I don’t feel that is me. In my heart ❤️ I am not that old person, in truth I am.

NotSpaghetti Thu 09-Mar-23 10:00:28

I miss the environment I grew up in more as I get older.

I find I miss old neighbours from years ago in a sort-of abstract way because there were lots of happy times that they were on the fringes of.
I don't really "miss" individuals who were in my road/area but I do remember fondly lots of older people who have died (some too soon). Some of these lived hundreds of miles from me but were people I was always fond of and knew over many years.

Shinamae Thu 09-Mar-23 10:02:07

I was brought up in a lovely North Devon village on the coast absolutely loved it. Really family village.
Went back a couple years ago, it’s just not the same village anymore. Most of the properties are holiday let’s the bigger houses have been turned into flats. Even the old farm has now become a bed and breakfast. I did go out to the cemetery and so many of the residents of the village have died, but then I am going back 60 years Doesn’t make it any easier
The character of the village has completely gone, and then in winter it is a ghost village. I realise this is happening all over the country, very very sad… the house we used to live in which had a beautiful view over the bay and six bedrooms has now been turned into three flats and the chapel next door has been turned into flats…🫣

Shinamae Thu 09-Mar-23 10:06:58

This is where I grew up.. the chapel next door

Beechnut Thu 09-Mar-23 10:07:24

That’s true about my road too silverlining48.
Most houses had a drive and front garden. Now a lot of those gardens are paved and full of cars.

MayBee70 Thu 09-Mar-23 10:09:24

I keep having very vivid dreams of dear friends that I have recently lost. I’m not sure if I find them comforting or not. I find it hard to believe that I will never see or speak to them again sad

Sparklefizz Thu 09-Mar-23 11:04:25

Shinamae Wow! What a spectacular place to have lived.

I miss one particular old schoolfriend, Liz. We were friends from the age of 14, and only Liz knew the joys and horrors of our local youth club, our first boyfriends, our marriages and our children.

mumofmadboys Thu 09-Mar-23 11:08:29

What an idyllic spot Shinamae!

silverlining48 Thu 09-Mar-23 11:11:07

That is lovely Shiname, you were lucky to live in that beautiful part of the country.

supergirlsnan Thu 09-Mar-23 11:12:30

Shinamae, that's lovely. I am envious.

GrannyGravy13 Thu 09-Mar-23 11:43:52

I live in the village my parents and I moved to a month before my 15th birthday, have lived in the same house for 34 years.

They settled in mainland Europe a few years later, I shuttled between the two locations as did my eldest child, the younger ones were more inclined to only visit when I did despite the choice of long school holidays spent on a beach.

It’s a comfort tinged with sadness to be in both much loved locations. The sadness being so many of my parents peers have died and now it’s my age groups turn.

annsixty Thu 09-Mar-23 12:03:10

My H and I moved to this estate 55 years ago with our two year old D, our S was born two years later.
The houses were new and most people were young families who had moved here from away.
We made some very close friends and most friendships have lasted.
Out of a group of about 16 only one of the couples have both survived , they are 83 and 81.
Two of the couples have both died, 3 of us are widowed.
I would love to relive just a week of those past very happy times.

Urmstongran Thu 09-Mar-23 12:30:57

For 15y I used to go to Es Caña in Ibiza for a week in September, with my mum, her sister and mum’s best friend. All 3 wonderful women are no longer in my life and I miss them very much. We used to stay in the same hotel, loved the staff and the small horseshoe bay on the flat. One year I proposed a change ‘how about trying Portugal?’. “No thanks we love it here!” they said. So that’s what we continued to do. Although I’m sad and I miss them, I’m grateful for all those very special times and memories we made. I still chuckle thinking of funny moments we shared. Lucky me. Happy Days!

Shinamae Thu 09-Mar-23 12:43:41

Shinamae

And, it was a guest house when I was a child and once my brother and I had done the chores, we would jump over the wall into the field and have a 10 minute run down to a beach and spend most of the day there absolutely idyllic. We were only about eight or nine I think would not be allowed now, but what a free and joyful childhood we had..

Shinamae Thu 09-Mar-23 12:45:27

Shinamae

Shinamae

And, it was a guest house when I was a child and once my brother and I had done the chores, we would jump over the wall into the field and have a 10 minute run down to a beach and spend most of the day there absolutely idyllic. We were only about eight or nine I think would not be allowed now, but what a free and joyful childhood we had..

And this is the beach, and where I want my ashes to go when the time comes……

Shinamae Thu 09-Mar-23 12:59:36

Shinamae

Shinamae

Shinamae

And this is the beach, and where I want my ashes to go when the time comes……

Hmmm hope I’m not virtual signalling!!!..🫣😬😂

FionaG Thu 09-Mar-23 13:05:11

Lovely, my daughter lives near Bideford, where is the hamlet in relation to there, I’ll ask her if she knows the beach!

AGAA4 Thu 09-Mar-23 14:10:51

Not virtue signalling Shinamae just sharing the joy.

Shinamae Thu 09-Mar-23 21:39:21

FionaG

Lovely, my daughter lives near Bideford, where is the hamlet in relation to there, I’ll ask her if she knows the beach!

Its grunta beach at Mortehoe.
Apparently so called because a ship carrying pigs ran aground there. There is also a deep pool we used to swim in called pigs pit… sweet memories are making me cry…(my brother died at age 49,20 years ago.)
It’s the village above Woolacombe..
My brother, and I very young there so obviously not on our own..

Shinamae Fri 10-Mar-23 09:46:40

Yes, I had a very blessed and a idyllic childhood,obviously it’s my brother I miss
Unfortunately, I went completely off the rails at 15 and didn’t get back on them till age of 28..😔

dragonfly46 Fri 10-Mar-23 09:57:14

I miss all my wonderful friends in the Netherlands. I miss the life I had there with the children growing up and the wonderful lifestyle.
Some of my friends are still alive but many are ailing now and nothing is the same when we visit.
We were just so fortunate to be able to bring the children up in such a healthy environment.

JaneJudge Fri 10-Mar-23 10:18:16

Shinamae

beautiful smile

Riverwalk Fri 10-Mar-23 10:35:55

Goodness Shinamae what a wonderful Enid Blyton childhood you had - I'm very envious!

MawtheMerrier Fri 10-Mar-23 10:43:22

I wonder how many of us who ended up many miles away from Mum and Dad and used to ring our parents at a set time on a set day?
Mine was 7 o clock on Sunday - even if I did also ring at other times) because by their late 70’s and 80’s they liked their “routine”.
They’ve been dead for 22 years, but I still have that momentary urge on a Sunday evening….