Gransnet forums

Books/book club

Free books on Kindle

(52 Posts)
mrsmopp Fri 02-Nov-12 20:49:18

Have just got a new Kindle and thought I'd put some free books on to start me off- some Dickens and other classics.
Has anyone had any other good books free on Kindle that you can recommend?
Something a bit more modern for a good read. I am surprised that some novels on Kindle cost nearly as much as the real thing - and you can't pass them on when you've read them like you can a real book. I think that's a disadvantage, especially after you've paid for it. Still in two minds if I've bought the right thing...

Mishap Fri 02-Nov-12 20:57:23

Google Kindle daily deal and get yourself onto those alerts - usually 99p for the day. Or the deal will come up on your kindle if you go into the store screen each day.

And you can get free new books at: [email protected] - some are rubbish but I find the occasional gem.

Hopefully the iniquity of VAT on ebooks will end soon.

Joy56 Fri 02-Nov-12 22:25:40

I bought a book called The House At Riverton by Kate Moreton for 67p. It was really good. I have now bought her second book for 67p as well.

lillian Fri 04-Jan-13 11:10:42

Hi Mrs Mopp have you tried the free book site.... ereader IQ.com there are hundreds of free books and they will send you a list everyday, week or month which ever you decide on of every subject you desire.i have had a Kindle for over a year now and have never paid more than 99p for a book but most of my books are free including Dickens, Bronte and Sherlock Holmes and many more. there are also sites for forgotton books which can no longer be bought, look on the internet for free books for Kindle and you will have a great time sorting through them......Lillian.

Grannyknot Fri 04-Jan-13 12:20:33

My library is about to introduce Kindle books on loan! Yay! [does a little dance emoticon]

grandimars Fri 04-Jan-13 12:48:42

There are also hundreds of free books ( but not modern titles) on the Gutenberg Press site. You have to download to your computer then drag and drop to your Kindle, though, it's not an instant download.

feetlebaum Fri 04-Jan-13 13:40:55

grandimars - some of us have to do that with any ebook download - I don't know where Amazon's Whispernet is available - it certainly isn't around here.

Still, it's no great task: I just download to my desktop machine, plug the Kindle into a spare USB port and copy the file across - the machine senses the Kindle and kindly pops it up as the destination. Takes a few seconds, no more.

Ariadne Fri 04-Jan-13 13:53:56

There is a way (allowed by Amazon) to share books that you've bought with another Kindle owner. Dd and I were missing the passing on of books, and she discovered this. It's a bit of a fiddle to begin with, but now we can go to each other's library on Amazon and instruct that a book be delivered to...

I do like this, and if you're interested, I'll find the link.

Grannyknot Fri 04-Jan-13 14:00:47

ariadne yes please. My BIL puts his books in his 'cloud' and has given my SIL "his" second Kindle, and they both help themselves from the cloud. Still beyond me ...

Ariadne Fri 04-Jan-13 14:14:54

The basis seems to be that you can only transfer books between kindles registered to one Amazon account. So: you deregister your kindle, then re-register it to my account, calling it, say, Ariadne's Kindle2, download the books we want to share, then register your kindle back as yours again.

What we have since found is that now, when she goes to my library, she can click the Actions button and select the delivery option, to Ariadn's Kindle 1 (mine) or 2 (hers)

So - we just register our kindles to each other's accounts and download the books we want to share, and then register back to the original.

It does, of course, mean that you have to give the other person access to your Amazon account! And I would advise doing it sitting next to one another on the settee.

Grannyknot Fri 04-Jan-13 14:28:13

okay I understand that now.

Grannyknot Fri 04-Jan-13 19:29:39

I've heard good reports about this book and it is only 20p on Kindle at the moment www.amazon.co.uk/Hundred-Year-Old-Climbed-Window-Disappeared-ebook/dp/B008D30K7E/ref=sr_1_1?s=digital-text&ie=UTF8&qid=1357327672&sr=1-1

grrrranny Fri 04-Jan-13 22:31:28

Grannyknot Thanks for link - I've bought it as it does look good.

Maniac Sat 05-Jan-13 21:53:20

Thanks Grannyknot ..just ordered that.
my library has just introduced e-books but sadly they are not compatible with Kindle.
when I got my Kindle I also downloaded free all the Jane Austen books and the Father Brown stories. I'll never have time to read them all.

lillian Wed 09-Jan-13 15:21:15

can any Kindle or Ebook owner reccomend any free book sites, i use Amazon of course and QIReader at present but would like to try other free book sites but would prefer reccomended ones......look forward to hearing from you.....lillian

Elegran Wed 09-Jan-13 17:58:36

To anyone who enjoyed "The Illegal Gardener" by Sara Alexis, or her next book "Black Butterflies" - a third in the Greek village series is free on Kindle today. Title "The explosive nature of friendship" Don't know how long it will be free.

here's a link

Gally Wed 09-Jan-13 18:53:23

It's back up to £3.80 *Elegran" hmm Blink and you miss it apparently!!

Grannyeggs Wed 09-Jan-13 19:33:28

grannyknot it's great, I loved it.

Elegran Wed 09-Jan-13 19:53:44

Not when I look Gally

Elegran Wed 09-Jan-13 20:07:30

Gally The Illegal Gardener is £3.93, and Black Butterflies is £3.80

Every time I look The Explosive Nature of Friendship is free for the Kindle. The paperback version is £9.47.

The first two were excellent so the third should be too. They are separate stories, so you don't need to read them in any particular order.

glassortwo Wed 09-Jan-13 20:13:52

elegran I have just down loaded the series and I did get the third free, the other two were just short of £4.00 each

Elegran Wed 09-Jan-13 20:21:24

you will enjoy them glass

glassortwo Wed 09-Jan-13 21:20:27

Thanks Elegran

Grannyknot Sat 12-Jan-13 10:13:08

Here's a good )I hope) free one this weekend by (Professor) Anna Maslin www.amazon.co.uk/Women-Perspectives-Experiences-Changed-ebook/dp/B007PFE5D6/ref=tmm_kin_title_0?ie=UTF8&qid=1357983507&sr=8-5 Perspectives, Experiences and Tips from Women who Changed the World. The author says 'what motivates people to succeed will reflect their values about what is important".

Grannyknot Sat 16-Feb-13 10:55:37

Free book for the slow cooker fans currently on Kindle www.amazon.co.uk/Slow-Cooker-Chicken-Aficionado-ebook/dp/B00BDBNZES/ref=sr_1_48?s=digital-text&ie=UTF8&qid=1361011901&sr=1-48