Gransnet forums

Books/book club

RESTLESS by William Boyd

(93 Posts)
flowerfriend Thu 13-Dec-12 19:58:15

I love this book. I have read it twice and would highly recommend it. There is a story and there is something thought-provoking too and I hope the tv adaptation does this justice.

flowerfriend Thu 13-Dec-12 19:59:16

Should be William. Fingers faster than brain. Sorry.

Ariadne Thu 13-Dec-12 20:45:03

I haven't read this one, flower but have read a lot of his other books and they are always thought provoking. I liked "An Ice Cream War" and "Brazzaville Beach" in particular.

MaggieP Tue 18-Dec-12 11:23:51

Thank you GN, my copy has just arrived and I look forward to taking it to Thailand in January to read on our R and R on the beach !

merlotgran Tue 18-Dec-12 11:51:19

My copy arrived this morning. I'm so pleased because I've just finished my library books and have had to renew them because I won't have time to take them back till after Christmas. Thanks, GN.

Lucky you, MaggieP envy

jeni Tue 18-Dec-12 12:09:31

Mines just come as well. Thankyou gn

numberplease Tue 18-Dec-12 16:22:40

Mine arrived this morning, thank you

emmasnan Tue 18-Dec-12 17:33:24

Mine came today as well. Thank you . Looking forward to reading it.

celebgran Tue 18-Dec-12 17:37:40

I have never been sent book you must have to get in quick i TAKE it ??

yogagran Tue 18-Dec-12 18:02:47

I understand that "Restless" is going to be shown on BBC1 in late 2012 according to a website I looked at. Have I missed it or is it still to come?

numberplease Wed 19-Dec-12 22:11:28

Can`t remember the date Yogagran, but it`s on over the Christmas period, I saw it in the TV Times.

annodomini Wed 19-Dec-12 22:14:42

I read it on my way to New Zealand three years ago - and left it there. I do enjoy William Boyd's novels. I appreciate a writer who can develop a plot, though some critics seem to despise this type of literature. Huh! All the surviving great works of the past (classics) have plots.

Sook Wed 19-Dec-12 23:14:56

Thank you GN my copy arrived today.

merlotgran Wed 19-Dec-12 23:18:36

I like to read a book before the TV version so I'd better get cracking.

dorsetpennt Thu 20-Dec-12 10:30:03

Have just received this in the post from a mystery sender - looks good. I'm reading a very harrowing booked titled 'Slavery by Another Name' by Douglas Blackmon. A Pulizter prize book about the re-enslavement of Black Americans after the Civil War to WW2.

Ariadne Thu 20-Dec-12 11:25:46

I have just received it too - no information about who sent it, so I must have asked for it on GN? Did I? Getting confused over all the online shopping I've done!

seashells Thu 20-Dec-12 14:50:00

My copy has just arrived, thank you very much, and I'm saving it for Thailand too, in February. Not much lounging around planned as I will be 'racing' around after my 2 year old English/ Thai granddaughter.

numberplease Thu 20-Dec-12 15:56:31

I`ve just started reading my copy, I think I`m going to like it.

MaggieP Sat 22-Dec-12 11:45:56

yogagran its on December 27th on BBC1

yogagran Sat 22-Dec-12 16:00:54

Thanks maggie I've set the machine to record it, will watch when the house is back to normal!

harrigran Mon 31-Dec-12 00:15:45

Have just read the book and watched the TV series, TV was better than the book. I don't reckon much to Boyd as an author.

Mamie Mon 31-Dec-12 06:53:04

Haven't read the book, but found the TV version a bit mixed. I thought the first episode was very good, but it fell away in the second one and I thought the ending was unsatisfactory. I didn't understand why she would put her family at risk for some vague fears about being watched. The acting was good, though I couldn't quite get Michael Gambon as an older Rufus Sewell.
The best thing on tele over Christmas, but that is not saying much...

MargaretX Mon 31-Dec-12 09:33:47

William Boyd is one of my favourite novelists. I have read everything he has written and don't intend to watch it on TV.
In our family we started with Brazzavile Beach as DD2 was studying Biology at that time. Everything he stated in that book about Primates being so near to humans genetically, and that they could be aggressive has now been proved.

Restless is such a well constructed novel. As I reached the end I still didn't know which side she was really on. You can't get that amount of soulsearching and suspense in a modern film, where nobody ever gets to talk for longer than a sentence or two.

GeraldineGransnet (GNHQ) Wed 02-Jan-13 12:48:50

Hope those of you who watched the television adaptation over Christmas enjoyed it and reading the book is proving an interesting compare-and-contrast.

Also that those who received a copy worked out eventually that it was from Gransnet smile

William Boyd will be joining us for a live webchat on Wednesday 23 January from 1-2pm. Do add a question here.

HappyNanna Thu 03-Jan-13 12:07:37

Saw the TV adaptation. Thought it was 'much ado about nothing'. The acting was good though.