Gransnet forums

Books/book club

Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn Q&A

(85 Posts)
GeraldineGransnet (GNHQ) Thu 31-Jan-13 15:20:54

Gone Girl, Gillian Flynn's thriller about a young woman who disappears on her fifth wedding anniversary, topped the bestseller lists in America and went straight into the top 10 when it came out in paperback here.

It's our Book of the Month for February and Gillian will be doing a Q&A with us at the end of the month.

Ask your questions here. Don't forget spoiler alerts! smile

nanaval Fri 08-Feb-13 18:01:08

I am really enjoying this book. Can't put it down!

grandimars Fri 08-Feb-13 18:21:24

Thanks for my copy which arrived a couple of days ago. I'm going on holiday in two weeks time so it may wait till then before I can start it, though.

letty Sun 10-Feb-13 15:48:03

I have just finished Gone Girl as I was reading it for a book group that I belong to. I was interested in the other comments as I found the book hard to put down. I loved all the twists in the plot but confess to being a little disappointed in the ending. I am looking forward to hearing the comments at my book group tomorrow night.

jackieok Mon 11-Feb-13 19:09:34

I bought this on Amazon as missed the giveaway. Thought it was an exciting and thought provoking read. Will investigate other books by Gillian Flynn.

dawn1gel Tue 12-Feb-13 11:45:54

Thankyou for my book, Am just starting to read it,

BoomerBabe Tue 12-Feb-13 14:48:22

It isn't an easy book to get into, I think because it switches back and fore so much, but persevere and it becomes really worthwhile. Totally intriguing and impossible to second guess. I could not do anything, anything at all until I'd finished it (2pm this afternoon!) It rattles along apace as a mystery, a who done it and then suddenly, everything changes and you see things in a new light. Very, very clever....Amazing in fact!
My question to Gillian Flynn is this: are Amy's actions evil or driven by love?
I had a controlling mother who truly and utterly believed that her way was the right and only way and that everything she did which annoyed or irritated you was done with your best interests at heart and out of love. I think I recognize some "Amy traits"!

annemac101 Tue 12-Feb-13 17:51:15

I said I found this book very hard to get into. I was admitted to hospital with a chest infection and took it in to read. It started getting good at nearly halfway then I couldn't put it down it was so addictive,but what happened to the ending? It's one of these books I read where I think the author was trying to have a clever ending but it just came across as if she was fed up with the story so I would like to ask her if she doesn't think her readers should have had a conclusion of some sort. I have passed the book on to my daughter to see what she thinks. Another question I have is did the author read any true life cases of people in a psychiatric hospital?

BoomerBabe Wed 13-Feb-13 11:47:42

Yeah, the ending was a bit of a fizzle out but when I thought about it, it seemed that the ending was that it never ends. The characters had got themselves into a sort of living hell of control and resistance. Who knows what the conclusion might be.

BrenML Thu 14-Feb-13 14:39:10

Thank you for my free book. I am having trouble getting into it. Like another member, I'm reading it in bed and it is sending me to sleep. Don't like the characters and with me that is always a must. Will carry on for a bit to see if it gets any better.

dolphin Thu 14-Feb-13 16:06:13

Gone Girl was recommended to me by a friend whose choices in books are usually similar to mine. But I found this one really hard going and, like others in the forum, found myself dropping off and having to re-read pages. But about halfway through, I really got into it and couldn't put it down. The ending was not entirely satisfactory and once I had finished the book, I found it had left me feeling quite disturbed, really thinking about all that happened, wondering what to believe and deciding that the main protagonists were both very odd people! I don't think I'll look out for another Gillian Flynn book!

numberplease Thu 14-Feb-13 17:00:52

This must have the fewest good reviews of all the GN free books.

kitty31 Thu 14-Feb-13 19:05:42

Just going to start reading this book which I
received a short time ago will let you know how i get on with it smile

twinsmum100 Fri 15-Feb-13 21:09:05

I agree it was a slow start but overall I enjoyed reading it, the second half being much more interesting.
I think it would make a great film!

lucyinthesky Sat 16-Feb-13 11:18:54

This book is a great read! I began it yesterday afternoon and can't put it down. I do not understand how anyone can say it is slow, boring or that they find it difficult to gt into. Best book I've read in a long time.

GrandmaH Sat 16-Feb-13 14:22:54

I agree it started slowly but I got to the stage when I was looking for any excuse to sit & read it! I was actually up at 2am one night. It really gripped me but I am not sure WHY. There was not one single nice person in the book- even the bit players were not normal people & I really actively disliked both Amy & Nick. I'm not sure I could say I 'enjoyed' it but will be getting DH & members of my reading group to read to read it so I have someone to talk o about it.
It is very difficult to review as you don't want to give anything away to anyone who has not finished it but I did appreciate all the twists in the plot very much. I did not enjoy the language- American authors do seem to use far more bad language that UK authors & some of this was very extreme & I really am not a prude at all- it was just so insistent towards the end of the book I found it annoying. I hated the end but I suppose there was no other possible end but I would have liked to see an ending that punished the guilty party ( is that vague enough- I hope so!).
I would like to ask Gillian Flynn if she specifically set out to write about 2 nasty people so readers would have divided loyalties. Also did she consider an ending that would have left readers with a closure of sorts rather than up in the air.
I'd like to say more but I don't want to spoil it for others who have not finished it yet.

DavidH22 Tue 19-Feb-13 15:40:02

Like others I found this difficult to get into and confusing with the story from different viewpoints and the diary entries but once I did I thought it was highly imaginative and an engrossing page-turner. Leaving aside Nick and Amy can I ask why you made the other characters so dislikeable, even those who turn up to help in the initial search? Surely this isn't your general view of your fellow countrymen.
Interested in your answer over the ending as in the previous question or did you make the end as it is so we can look out for a Gone Girl 2 with a daughter leading the way?

matson Wed 20-Feb-13 14:29:50

i found " gone girl" heavy going at first, but similiar to other reviewers i found it got better half way, but was disappointed with the end. i may need to reread it at some time x`

MercedesYang Thu 21-Feb-13 09:33:57

Oh, it is on my reading list right now, thought it is hard for an English learner, Hope it would be not that hard for me to understand. If there is an e-book version for me, it would be better! wink

leslies Thu 21-Feb-13 12:35:01

I thought Gone Girl was an excellent book. Slow to start but unputdownable at the end.

betsysgran Thu 21-Feb-13 12:43:22

Thank you for my copy. Like many others I found it difficult to get into and to be honest found that it didn't improve the more I read. I did finish it but was very disappointed. Sorry but I won't bother reading any other Gillian Flynn books.

brownhandbag Thu 21-Feb-13 14:40:41

Loved the book! hated the ending

MaggieP Thu 21-Feb-13 17:55:35

Sorry but I haven't had time to read the book yet , only into the first part of Wolf Hall at present, then its Gone Girl!

Granniemutchie Thu 21-Feb-13 17:57:42

Thank you for sending a copy of Gone Girl. I expected more from this book which has had so much hype. It was only average - Patricia Highsmith, for instance, would have made much more of the storyline. And the ending was a great disappointment. I actually turned the last page, expecting another few paragraphs at least. Did Gillian just get fed up and stopped?

kitty31 Thu 21-Feb-13 20:34:32

Have a few books on the go at the moment - this one I'm afraid is not holding my attention as much as I thought it was going to do at first. Think I will put this one on hold for a little while and come back to it shortly.

nonnanna Fri 22-Feb-13 05:56:51

I'm feeling really guilty now as I hadn't thanked Gransnet for my free copy of 'Gone Girl' or indeed for any of the other books I have been fortunate to receive from Gransnet. I had put Gone Girl aside as a birthday present for DIL but after reading this thread am now curious to see if I would like it. So, sorry DIL I am going to read it first and pass it on instead of wrapping it up. I'll come back with my views when I've dipped into it.