Gransnet forums

Books/book club

We're giving away more than a THOUSAND pounds worth of children's books!

(515 Posts)
CariGransnet (GNHQ) Mon 01-Dec-14 10:58:24

One of our very favourite features is our annual round up of the best children's books of the year

This year we've featured you over 30 fantastic books for children of all ages, from babies and preschoolers - to young adults and teens. Great ideas for Christmas shopping. AND three lucky gransnetters get to win the lot...each set is worth over £350 and is sure to keep the family (and the wider family and the neighbours' kids...) happy for a very long time.

Full details on the page

To enter the draw - which will be made at midday on Tuesday 16 December - all you have to do is answer one simple question.

What's your favourite children's book of all time?

Maybe it's one that you loved as a child. One that you read to your own children. Or one that you read with your grandchildren. Old, new, classic or little-known...we look forward to compiling a list of gransnetters all-time favourites.

joannapiano Mon 01-Dec-14 14:12:29

I read The Tiger who came to Tea, to all my Reception classes and they always enjoyed it. Now my DGC love it too.

FreddieG Mon 01-Dec-14 14:27:54

Elmer the Patchwork Elephant by David McKee.

hildajenniJ Mon 01-Dec-14 14:45:54

"Twas the Night Before Christmas", just magical. My Granny read it to me, I read it to my children and my daughter reads it to my grandchildren.

nonnasusie Mon 01-Dec-14 15:17:23

Black Beauty by Anna Sewell! I've read it several times including once not long ago and it still makes me cry||

harrigran Mon 01-Dec-14 15:39:06

My favourite book as a child was Alice in Wonderland. As a bit of a dreamer it used to transport me to another world, I read it many times.

rosequartz Mon 01-Dec-14 15:56:04

So many old and new favourites, lots of them already named on here (Bear Hunt, Heidi, What Katy Did, Dear Zoo, The Tiger who came to Tea).

My favourite (so hard to choose) is The Railway Children by E Nesbit - of all the wonderful books I read as a child this is a perennial favourite.

Riverwalk Mon 01-Dec-14 16:20:34

Wind In The Willows.

CeeCee Mon 01-Dec-14 16:36:11

My personal favourite was Little Women, my DC's think it funny that I can recite whole chunks of it from memory. I lost my childhood copy and DS2 bought me a new copy two years ago, I was so pleased.

My favourite book for the grandchildren has to be Dogger by Shirley Hughes, delightful story and illustrations are superb.

cathisherwood Mon 01-Dec-14 17:03:32

I still have my copy of The Golden Staircase - poems and verses for children chosen by Louey Chisholm that I had read to me and then returned to over again as a child.
Like other readers I also loved all the Enid Blyton books - especially The Faraway Tree and I loved Winnie the Pooh and I loved reading Peepo and Each Peach Pear Plum to my own children

Nonnie Mon 01-Dec-14 17:13:18

Very Hungry Caterpillar is the one my sons love to read to their children.

NfkDumpling Mon 01-Dec-14 17:38:39

Black Beauty.

I have an abridged children's edition from my childhood which DGD1 is just growing into. It was DD1's favourite book too. It was a weird feeling listening to her reading it aloud to her DD.

chloe1984 Mon 01-Dec-14 17:42:20

Has to be What Katy Did

trisher Mon 01-Dec-14 17:43:25

Oh for reading to my children definitely the Winnie the Pooh series. Such a great opportunity to do voices. Eeyore was always Yorkshire-so dour and flat. Roo and Kanga-Australian of course. Tigger-very huffy, breathless and fast. Piglet squeaked of course. and Pooh "a bear of very little brain" spoke very slowly.

sarat Mon 01-Dec-14 18:21:04

I have always loved, and always will, The Witches. So scary as a child and yet couldn't put it down.

hjw2505 Mon 01-Dec-14 18:38:45

My children loved Eric Carle's The very hungry caterpillar and my childhood favourite was Enid Blyton's Mallory Towers series.

dmeastman Mon 01-Dec-14 18:59:01

My favorite picture book is The Legend of Dust Bunnies, a Fairy's Tale.
It is a refreshingly lighthearted story about a very important and serious topic: Being Yourself. Watch a book preview https://animoto.com/play/2XcG5elgmuLcEw0PtrqX6Q/
The Legend of Dust Bunnies will open your eyes to a world of dirt and dust that you never knew could be so magical and fun! Did you know that Dust Fairies come into our homes at night and spread dust, spider webs, and even spit crumbs into the carpet? They do! It’s true! Well, not all fairies. Artie is different. He doesn’t like messes, and he doesn’t fit in. At first, Artie is lonely and unsure of what to do, but then he decides that he’s going to take matters into his own hands. When given lemons you're supposed to make lemonade, right? This story does one better, it turns DUST into DUST BUNNIES. The Legend of Dust Bunnies is his delightful story about how and why a misfit Dust Fairy turns dust into (super-cute and cuddly) dust bunnies and the joyful aftermath that follows.

gigig Mon 01-Dec-14 19:10:36

Wind in the willows

ddraig123 Mon 01-Dec-14 19:40:22

The Biggles books.

CariGransnet (GNHQ) Mon 01-Dec-14 19:57:31

Obviously I can't enter this - but did wonder whether anyone else had ever read Lady Talavera? Big favourite in our family.

maci234 Mon 01-Dec-14 19:58:18

all the famous five books and the secret seven books fantastic

mphammersley Mon 01-Dec-14 20:12:53

As a child books were not plentiful in our house, because money was tight But What Katie Did was my favourite.

mrshumphreyjr Mon 01-Dec-14 20:14:48

The Secret Seven seriesby Enid Blyton, amazing part of my childhood which formedmy love of reading.

claire8819 Mon 01-Dec-14 20:17:04

Heidi smile

pussycats Mon 01-Dec-14 20:21:31

The Water Babies by Charles Kingsley was my favourite childhood book, it took me faraway into a lovely place of wonder

today Mon 01-Dec-14 20:34:50

the famous five