Gransnet forums

Books/book club

We're giving away more than a THOUSAND pounds worth of children's books!

(514 Posts)
CariGransnet (GNHQ) Mon 01-Dec-14 10:58:24

One of our very favourite features is our annual round up of the best children's books of the year

This year we've featured you over 30 fantastic books for children of all ages, from babies and preschoolers - to young adults and teens. Great ideas for Christmas shopping. AND three lucky gransnetters get to win the lot...each set is worth over £350 and is sure to keep the family (and the wider family and the neighbours' kids...) happy for a very long time.

Full details on the page

To enter the draw - which will be made at midday on Tuesday 16 December - all you have to do is answer one simple question.

What's your favourite children's book of all time?

Maybe it's one that you loved as a child. One that you read to your own children. Or one that you read with your grandchildren. Old, new, classic or little-known...we look forward to compiling a list of gransnetters all-time favourites.

pompa Mon 01-Dec-14 11:01:59

Little Women or Heidi , can't decide hmm

Grannyknot Mon 01-Dec-14 11:07:20

A book I used to read to my children called "The Lion and Blue", a story about the love between a lion and a butterfly. The illustrations thrill me to this day. I have no idea how it came into our lives, but we never ever tired of it when the children were small.

www.amazon.co.uk/Lion-Blue-Robert-Vavra/dp/0688611648

grannyactivist Mon 01-Dec-14 11:28:30

The Velveteen Rabbit.

Greenfinch Mon 01-Dec-14 11:30:55

Dogger

ruthiratbag Mon 01-Dec-14 11:50:08

A favourite at the moment is The Jolly Postman

shysal Mon 01-Dec-14 12:05:29

The Secret Garden

Bez Mon 01-Dec-14 12:16:32

What Katie Did.

nannymoocow Mon 01-Dec-14 12:23:53

Peepo, used to read it to my daughters, but at the same time it took me back to my childhood.

Ariadne Mon 01-Dec-14 12:33:51

"The Magic Faraway Tree" by Enid Blyton; read to my children who read /are reading it to my grandchildren. It is magical, scary and enchanting, and I am enjoying it all over again!

Ana Mon 01-Dec-14 12:42:13

Snap, shysal, but if I can't have that it's got to be Winnie-the-Pooh

Pollyanna1 Mon 01-Dec-14 12:47:45

'The Children of Green Knowe' by Lucy Boston. I discovered this magical book when my daughter was about 10. We both loved it and went on to read all the books in the series. We even visited the house which was the setting for the stories.

gillybob Mon 01-Dec-14 12:54:40

After much thought I have decided that it has to be;

We're going on a bear hunt by Michael Rosen with the wonderful illustrations by Helen Oxenbury. No matter where we are and what we are doing my three grandchildren recite this book......

We're going on a bear hunt,
we're gonna catch a big one,
what a beautiful day,
we're not scared.
Oh oh!
Mud,
thick, oozy mud

We can't go over it, we can't go under it, we've got to go through it!
Squelch, squelch, squelch,squelch

Fab. smile

katieflower Mon 01-Dec-14 12:55:43

The Little Wooden Horse

Joelise Mon 01-Dec-14 13:05:59

The Lion, The Witch And The Wardrobe.

sylwright Mon 01-Dec-14 13:09:37

My favourite would have to be Peepo. I remember reading it to my children as one of their favourite bedtime stories and I now read it to my 2 year old grandson who loves it.

A very close second for the same reasons is Each Peach Pear Plum.

thebrums Mon 01-Dec-14 13:13:26

Got to be Five on Treasure Island,or any Famous Five books.

suzied Mon 01-Dec-14 13:16:52

My children and grandchildren loved Miffy books

whenim64 Mon 01-Dec-14 13:20:42

The book that I buy again and again for very young children is Dear Zoo by Rod Campbell. They love opening the flaps to see which unsuitable pet has arrived and shouting 'send it back' with much giggling as the story is read to them. A lovely introduction to a life of enjoyment of books smile

Jamaloka Mon 01-Dec-14 13:33:39

Toddler grandchildren and I love A Squash and a Squeeze by Julia Donaldson.

glammanana Mon 01-Dec-14 13:43:02

It has got to be Huckleberry Finn reminds me always of all the things we got up to during the holidays on the farm/lake area's where we where brought up,of mum packing us off for the day to find our own enjoyment.

MiceElf Mon 01-Dec-14 13:43:12

The Wind in the Willows

mpsandy Mon 01-Dec-14 13:55:05

The Just William Books by Richmal Crompton were really entertaining.

Inthepink06 Mon 01-Dec-14 13:59:55

Peepo, my kids loved it and now my gorgeous granddaughter is living too!

Lapwing Mon 01-Dec-14 14:10:09

The Anne of Green Gable stories - I re-read these recently and still enjoyed them.