Gransnet forums

Books/book club

Fiction reviews

(115 Posts)
HQ1 Tue 09-Jun-15 12:43:08

As part of our preparations to get the mobile site up and running we are changing the way we do reviews to make sure they work just as well on a phone or tablet as they do on the desktop site.

This means discontinuing the old-style review pages and moving them onto the forums instead. We will also be losing the product reviews topic on the forums as we reckon it's far easier to find reviews for beauty products, say, under 'Style and beauty' or great hotels under 'Travel' than it is to trawl through reams of things that are not relevant to your search.

That bit coming soon - but for now we will be reposting all your reviews for fiction on this thread so that the info is still available to anyone who'd like to use it. Of course if you have others that you would like to rave/moan about do feel free to add here too.

HQ1 Tue 09-Jun-15 16:31:10

Mia's Scandal by Michelle Reid - overall rating 10/10

(From smeeth)

(2012) Well I've never really got into the idea of reading Mills & Boon books, but this was free to download to my kindle, so I thought well why not! Don't judge a book by it's cover and all that (or in this case it's publisher!). And I have no qualms about saying that it is one of the best books I have read in a very long time! The story was captivating, I just didn't want to put it down, I kept telling myself after this chapter I'll go and do some cleaning, but then I found I just kept reading on and on! The story is about this young Italian woman who discovers she is the estranged daughter of a very rich English man. Her father gives his young friend, a Greek billionaire, the task of getting her acquainted with English life, and surprise surprise they fall in love! With many twists and turns along the way! It's a brilliant piece of writing, and although slightly raunchy ;) it doesn't centre entirely around that! Overall it is a brilliant book, and I well recommend you all read it! It might be best if you do so when you have nothing else planned for a few hours though!

HQ1 Tue 09-Jun-15 16:37:07

Northern Lights by Phillip Pullman - overall rating 10/10

(From SueQue)

(2011) First book of the "His Dark Materials" trilogy. A series of books equally suited to adults and teenagers. It is fiction based on some scientific fact and theory. Lyra, the heroine, is drawn into dark secrets about life beyond the 'Norther Lights'. Along the way she encounters a talking, fighting, polar bear and flying witch-queens. She is accompanied by her 'daemon', Pan. This book takes me to places I would actually like to visit i.e. The Arctic circle and beyond.

HQ1 Tue 09-Jun-15 16:41:36

Pigs in Heaven by Barbara Kingsolver - overall rating 10/10

(From YellowRose)

(2013) This was recommended at the same time as The Poisonwood Bible by the same author. This book focuses on a mother and her adopted child, who is American Indian. I absolutely could not put it down. It deals with identity, mother love, race and all against a backdrop of an America, we in England don't see that often. Superb.

HQ1 Tue 09-Jun-15 16:44:29

Rivers of London by Ben Aaronvitch - overall rating 10/10

(From ohdear)

(2015) A sort of fantasy/crime cross over involving ghosts,wizards, dogs and puppets! A very good story well told. Made me laugh out loud. I think that grannies are not, perhaps his target audience (!) but I loved it. I have also read the other books in this series and cannot wait for the next. The characters are well drawn and I came to care about what happened to them. Aaronavitch also writes for Dr Who and other sci-fi shows, he is obviously good at his job. If you like fantasy and maybe steam punk then give this a go.

HQ1 Tue 09-Jun-15 16:47:01

Secrets of the Tide by Hannah Richel - overall rating

(From Gillx5)

(2012) This debut novel is a gripping story of three generations of women told over a fifteen year period. The disaster which results from the unhappiness and bad decisions of Helen Tide and her husband have terrible and lasting consequences for the whole family. The fractured relationships described by Richell in a beautifull and heart wrenching way are centred around an old house set on the cliffs in Dorset. Hannah Richell, an English writer now settled in Sydney Australia with her husband and two young children is a gifted young writer who has secured a second book deal. I can't wait to read her next book!

HQ1 Tue 09-Jun-15 16:47:59

Secrets of the Tide by Hannah Richel - overall rating 10/10

(From Gillx5)

(2012) This debut novel is a gripping story of three generations of women told over a fifteen year period. The disaster which results from the unhappiness and bad decisions of Helen Tide and her husband have terrible and lasting consequences for the whole family. The fractured relationships described by Richell in a beautifull and heart wrenching way are centred around an old house set on the cliffs in Dorset. Hannah Richell, an English writer now settled in Sydney Australia with her husband and two young children is a gifted young writer who has secured a second book deal. I can't wait to read her next book!

HQ1 Tue 09-Jun-15 16:50:45

Snuff by Terry Pratchett - overall rating 10/10

(From goose1964)

(2012) Another Sam Vines story, this time set in the countryside. Sam is on holiday with Lady Sibyl & young Sam (who seems to be based on Chris Packham) but still manges to find crime to solve. Really enjoyed this one, certainly up to the usual standard.

HQ1 Tue 09-Jun-15 17:06:00

The Book Thief by Markus Zusak - overall rating 10/10

(From GranG)

(2011) This has been one of the most memorable books I have read this year. It is the story of a young girl Liesel who is growing up in a very poor community on the outskirts of Munich during WW2 and it tells the story of her life and her survival during that terrible time. The story is related by Death and by using this device the authur allows you to get close to Liesel and her family and friends, but still keep some perspective. Please don't think this book is full of misery; it isn't. There is fun there as well. Liesel is a normal girl of courage and wit and she and Rudy her friend enjoy their life from within their own experience. Because my parents lived and fought through the war and my mother befriended a young German Jew, the stories in the book are not new to me. As a young British girl, outrage at what had happened during the war was all around me. What was to emerge many years later of course was the effect allied bombing had on German communities too. This is a book which subtly combines the complex historical themes into a remarkable story.
I hope you enjoy it as much as I have.

GG62 Tue 09-Jun-15 17:20:21

The Goldfinch by Donna Tartt

I waited for this book for 10years.it was definitely worth the wait.Her best so far.

GG62 Tue 09-Jun-15 17:31:28

I agree HQ1.I bought lots of copies for friends and family.I think it should be on the national curriculum.

HQ1 Tue 09-Jun-15 17:50:03

The Otherside of the Bridge by Mary Lawson - overall rating 10/10

(From Hattie64)

(2011) A wonderful book, so well written, unforgettable.

HQ1 Tue 09-Jun-15 18:01:04

Message deleted by Gransnet for breaking our forum guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

HQ1 Tue 09-Jun-15 18:04:35

The Handmaid's Tail by Margaret Atwood - overall rating 10/10

(From nannyogg)

(2013) Just re-read this book - I had forgotten what a really truly good read it is. My book club really enjoyed it too. I was suprised so few had read it when it was first published in 1985.

HQ1 Wed 10-Jun-15 09:56:07

The Guernsey Literary and Potatoe Peel Society by Mary Ann Shaffer and Annie Barrows - overall rating 10/10

(From SophiesMum)

(2013) Unputdownable! My daughter-in-law in Canada sent me this book as part of my Christmas present. She highly recommended it and I can see why. Written in the form of letters (think 84 Charing Cross Road), this book brings wartime Guernsey to life. Won't say more, don't want to spoil it for you!

HQ1 Wed 10-Jun-15 09:58:24

The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood - overall rating 10/10

(From nannyogg)

(2013) Just re-read this book - I had forgotten what a really truly good read it is. My book club really enjoyed it too. I was suprised so few had read it when it was first published in 1985.

HQ1 Wed 10-Jun-15 10:00:29

The Letter by Kathryn Hughes - overall rating 10/10

(From karenplusfour)

(2013) It was a lovely read. It tells the story of two young people in love and what happens to them.

It is something that could and does happen, even now - very sad really. You hear about the 'what ifs' or 'if onlys'. I had this on my Kindle and could not put it down.

HQ1 Wed 10-Jun-15 10:02:09

Message deleted by Gransnet for breaking our forum guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

HQ1 Wed 10-Jun-15 10:03:42

The Morville Hours by Katherine Swift - overall rating 10/10

(From Sonsybesom)

(2012) I loved this book about the patient making of a garden, following the pattern of the medieval Book of Hours. Full of colour, scents, memories and creative genius, I found it difficult to put down. I ordered a copy for my daughter's birthday, because she loves her garden and has finally completed a sampler of a knot garden.

HQ1 Wed 10-Jun-15 10:06:01

The One Plus One by Jojo Moyes - overall rating 10/10

(From tigger)

(2014) Brilliant, thoroughly enjoyed it. A single mum trying desperately to bring up two children on a meagre income. One is a precocious mathematical genius and the other a goth who isn't her child - all of them abandoned by her husband, their father. Jess struggles to cope with everything life throws at her. Then there is Norman, the dog who makes a significant contribution to this small family. Great read.

HQ1 Wed 10-Jun-15 10:08:00

The Posionwood Bible by Barabara Kingsolver - overall rating 10/10

(From Mobell)

(2012) I was no great fan of Barbara Kingsolver's book "The Lacuna" too many characters and too many stories, but beautifully crafted. This book however I absolutely loved, couldn't wait to get time to read it. Funny in parts, poignant and troubling too. I really cared about the characters and found myself thinking about them at odd times. I could not recommend it enough. Of course I am of the belief that if you are not enjoying a book then don't plod on, life is too short to read a book that is not entertaining you.

HQ1 Wed 10-Jun-15 10:10:12

The Snowchild by Eowyn Ivey - overall rating 10/10

(From ajanela)

(2014) A magical read about a couple who in the 1920s set up home in a remote part of Alaska and take in a snow child. Our book group read it but only on discussion did I learn that the punctuation in the book gives a clue to the mystery of the story.

HQ1 Wed 10-Jun-15 10:11:59

The Things We Never Said by Susan Elliot Wright - overall rating 10/10

(From yogagran)

(2014) The first book that I have read by this author (she's only written two) and it was excellent. The plot jumps back and forth between two stories, finally coming together towards the end.

HQ1 Wed 10-Jun-15 10:13:52

The Yorkshire Shepherdess by Amanda Owen - overall rating 10/10

(From yogagran)

(2014) Fascinating autobiography of an amazing lady. Will make you feel quite tired and inadequate!

HQ1 Wed 10-Jun-15 10:15:56

This is Where I am by Karen Campbell - overall rating 10/10

(From tigger)

(2014) This is the fifth book I have read of the "publishers picks" (although I haven't seen any of my previous reviews posted). The very best so far: an extremely powerful portrait of two people from diverse backgrounds. One an asylum seeker, the other recovering from nursing her husband through a debilitating illness who eventually died. Both have suffered terrible trauma within their personal circumstances and at the mercy of the bureaucrats. So gripping at times I couldn't bear to put it down, other times I had to close the book because I couldn't bear to go on reading about the horrific events that happened to both individuals. The ending was brilliant.

HQ1 Wed 10-Jun-15 10:17:46

Wolf Hall by Hilary Mantell - overall rating 10/10

(From rosesarered)

(2013) A brilliant book, well written and full of plot and counter plot. If you like history (this is about Thomas Cromwell and his rise to power in the Tudor Court) then you will enjoy this book, easy to read, but full of interest.