Gransnet forums

Books/book club

Fiction reviews

(115 Posts)
HQ1 Tue 09-Jun-15 12:43:08

As part of our preparations to get the mobile site up and running we are changing the way we do reviews to make sure they work just as well on a phone or tablet as they do on the desktop site.

This means discontinuing the old-style review pages and moving them onto the forums instead. We will also be losing the product reviews topic on the forums as we reckon it's far easier to find reviews for beauty products, say, under 'Style and beauty' or great hotels under 'Travel' than it is to trawl through reams of things that are not relevant to your search.

That bit coming soon - but for now we will be reposting all your reviews for fiction on this thread so that the info is still available to anyone who'd like to use it. Of course if you have others that you would like to rave/moan about do feel free to add here too.

starbird Tue 01-Mar-16 16:18:11

Sorry that review was meant for A Fine Balance - how do you add comments to a previous review?

starbird Tue 01-Mar-16 16:38:45

A MAN CALLED OVE. Frederick Backman set in Sweden but could be UK, I was not sure if I was going to like it at first but it got better and better. A very human story. I laughed and I cried. 10/10.

starbird Tue 01-Mar-16 16:41:16

CROOKED HEART by Lissa Evans. At first I thought this was going to be a lightweight book, but it was real, and touching. Highly recommended. 10/10.

obag Fri 04-Mar-16 15:15:13

Watch the lady, Thanks for my copy of this great book, I don't usually read historical fiction but am really enjoying this and am getting an insight into british history,

bumblebee Wed 16-Mar-16 02:32:52

The Trouble With Goats And Sheep by Joanna Cannon - BOOK REVIEW

What I expected at first to be a light whimsical read is instead a highly perceptive examination of everyday lives, laced with a ominously dark undertone. The story takes place in an almost idyllic suburban setting, set against the backdrop of a sweltering 1970's English summer. Mrs Creasy has disappeared and 10 year-old Grace and Tilly have taken it upon themselves to investigate. They find their street reveals secrets far deeper than the disappearance itself, but intrinsically tied to that singular event. As stated on the cover, this is "part whodunnit, part coming-of-age",

Exquisitely written, the sheer attention to detail transports us to the 1970's - 'Kays Catalogue', 'Angel Delight', 'Whimsies' and 'Brian Clough'. The story has well-developed characterisation, and is interspersed throughout with humour and a sense of irony. And by the end, we truly see what is meant by poetic justice. A pretty long book (453 pages of story) with an ambitious narrative, but one that clearly a lot of hard work has gone into to get right.

bmacca Fri 08-Apr-16 13:09:55

The Midnight Watch by David Dyer

I liked the idea of this story about the Titanic tragedy and thought it was intriguing however I found the book quite difficult to get into and I'm disappointed that I didn't really enjoy it that much. All the other reviews I've seen appear to be very good so I accept that I am in a minority in not loving this book.

I have read several stories about the Titanic and have visited the port in Ireland where the ship left from which I found quite moving. I had not really known about other ships so found the idea of explaining what might have prevented the Californian from acting proved an interesting idea.

It is evident that David Dyer has done a lot of historical research into events and also how ships operate. I think maybe it was this aspect which I found quite boring and repetitive. I also think that Dyer kept repeating the same things about characters so for me they ended up as being one dimensional and I found it hard to care about their fate.

fanbrits Thu 05-May-16 17:49:06

my fav genre

bmacca Sat 11-Jun-16 11:49:01

All things cease to appear by Elizabeth Brundage

I wasn't quite sure what to expect as I hadn't read anything by this author before. At first I thought it was going to be just another murder mystery but quickly realised it was so much more. The author's writing is clear and the narrative style is addictive. I found the character building to be superb, not just the women in the story but also how George's character develops. The setting is vivid and the whole thing has a completely authentic feel to it. Definitely an absorbing read.

bmacca Mon 01-Aug-16 19:45:28

Guilty Minds by Joseph Finder

I was initially drawn to this book as I'd previously enjoyed the author's writing although I havent read the ones in this series. I was definitely not disappointed. The story line is fairly typical of the genre however I think Joseph Finder manages to create such rounded and interesting characters that I was soon engrossed. There is an easy style to his writing but this results in great observations and draws you in to how the characters are thinking and feeling. The narrative manages to keep the suspense going and it made me want more Heller stories

junesmith11 Wed 29-Mar-17 22:16:25

The Twilight Hour by Aline Templeton. Such a lovely book the man who was listening to the story and
writing the book was decribed so well you felt you almost knew him by the end of the book

The Twilight Hour by Aline Templeton. Such a lovely book the man who was listening to the story and
writing the book was decribed so well you felt you almost knew him by the end of the book

junesmith11 Thu 30-Mar-17 15:40:12

A senior moment "The Twilight Hour" by Nicci Gerrard still a brilliant book

Flin Mon 04-Sep-17 19:07:12

What If I Go? by Polly White Overall rating 10/10

(2017) A useful heads up novel for new students. This tells the tale of Grace who falls for the wrong guy! It is honest about what happens if young people get wrapped up with gangs.
It is not for the faint at heart but the savee. This is an empowering read. Great as a gift1