Gransnet forums

Books/book club

October Book Club - After You by Jojo Moyes

(120 Posts)
KatGransnet (GNHQ) Thu 01-Oct-15 10:47:54

Everyone is talking about After You, the eagerly awaited sequel to Jojo Moyes' bestseller Me Before You. We're thrilled to be featuring it as our book of the month.

Don't forget that if you received a free copy you will need to leave your comments and questions on this thread by the end of the month. (And if you didn't receive one do buy or borrow and join in!)

We will be sending a selection of the best questions over to Jojo towards the end of October. More info on the book here.

hollystone Wed 07-Oct-15 08:44:07

I did not get a copy but I am at the moment reading Me Before You smile

goose1964 Wed 07-Oct-15 11:23:10

I won mine from another company & I'm going to finish the book I'm on & hopefully will be able to add to this in due time. I loved me before you so I'm hoping this will be as good

HMHNanna Wed 07-Oct-15 14:58:46

Thank you so much Gransnet for my copy of After You by JoJo Moyes. It was a great read and it was good to catch up on what happened to all the characters from Me Before You. I agree with annodomini it would be a good idea for the author to extend the books into a trilogy especially to find out what happens to Louisa. Thanks again.

GrandmaH Wed 07-Oct-15 16:29:54

SPOILER ALERT - Please do not read if you have not finished the book!

I was so delighted to get this book as I loved Me before You- which is the only book EVER to get 100% 10/10 from our reading Group members.
I was pleased to hear what happened to Lou et al afterwards & the humour & the warmth from the first book was there again. I read it at record speed (housework? Not a chance!) & up to last quarter of the book I really enjoyed it. I was a bit disappointed that Lou had to again face losing someone she loved- it seemed a bit too much like the first book & a bit trite that Ambulance Sam would get hurt in line of duty. I didn't 'feel' him to be honest. I also felt that she got over 'the love of her life' a bit too quickly. It was nice that Lily could provide some solace for Will's family but her own family were not really believable.
These are probably minor gripes & I DID enjoy this book & would recommend it to anyone who loved the previous book.
I would like to ask Jojo if she always planned to write a sequel or if Lou just would not go away? I can imagine she would keep cropping up & asking to be 'finished'. I do feel her story has come to an end now- although I'm not sure she will come back to England any time soon. Feisty lady needs a bit more in her life!!
Thank you GN again for this book & thank you, Jojo for writing a sequel for us.

downtoearth Wed 07-Oct-15 16:56:03

Have just finished After you,couldnt put it down.
I felt the characters where believable,but without the poignancy and sense of time running out for Will and Louisa.
JoJo please dont let Lou disappear to NY without coming back.

Gagagran Sat 10-Oct-15 06:52:59

I've finished too and it was a cracking good read. It was very easy to recall all the characters in the first book and I think Jojo is excellent at family dialogue, which made me laugh out loud more than once. I did think Lily was an absolute pain with hardly any redeeming features. Believable characters throughout though.

Being an old romantic and wanting a wedding, I found the ending a bit disappointing and just hope it was done that way so there can be a Book3. Is that the plan Jojo?

Grannyjacq1 Sat 10-Oct-15 16:39:26

My copy arrived last week. I was a bit concerned by the fact that it was a sequel to another novel which I hadn't read, but, having thoroughly enjoyed the first few chapters, I realise that it's a perfectly good 'stand alone' novel too, and have already been intrigued by the characters and situation. Really enjoying it. Will post review when finished. Thank you, Gransnet, for introducing me to an author whose work I haven't read before; I will certainly go on to read the other novels by JoJo Moyes once I have completed this one.

Helen2014 Sun 11-Oct-15 12:23:32

Wow! Thank you Gransnet for my copy of this book. I'm totally hooked (as so many others seem to be) and it is a real page turner. I always give my books to my doctor's surgery when I've read them as they sell them for a pound for charity.

Anyway, my question is, how much (if any) of the book is taken from your own life and how much is imagination/research? I heard Kathy Letts once say that she had cannibalised her own life in writing her novels. If characters or stories come from you own life, does that make it difficult, knowing that total strangers (your readers) are glimpsing your own intimate thoughts and feelings?

annodomini Sun 11-Oct-15 12:56:49

Jojo has written other books that are unlikely to have been based on her own life experience and I recommend The Girl You Left Behind which is set during WWI in occupied France. I'm sure you'll enjoy reading it as much as I did.

JillMay Tue 13-Oct-15 10:29:16

Thank you for the book. I took it with me to read on holiday. I could not put it down and I finished it in no time. It is the best book I have read for a long time and I thoroughly recommend it.

loopylou Tue 13-Oct-15 13:44:42

I've just finished reading it (well, at 2am this morning!) and absolutely loved it. I've read all of Jo Jo Moyes' books, as have my daughter and my 90 year old mother. 'Me Before You' is currently in Patagonia with my niece....who will send it back to her sister in Norway, so a much travelled book!

Can I ask Jo Jo if there's a Book 3 in the pipeline (please say yes!)?

Envious Tue 13-Oct-15 22:48:16

I got my book today! Thanks so much! I'll get right to reading! smile

Grannyjacq1 Wed 14-Oct-15 09:41:23

Just finished. A fantastic read! I hadn't read any of JoJo Moyes' other books, so didn't really know what to expect. I was totally hooked - even had to sneakily read bits during the Great British Bake Off final!
I found the characters totally convincing, and loved the humour which permeated the novel and prevented what could have been a mawkish subject from being too overwhelming. As a person who has had a lot of contact with teenagers during my career in teaching, I found Lily very credible. The urban landscape was a perfect setting for the story.
I am very, very fortunate in that I have never lost anyone close to me - even my parents are still going strong in their 90s. I'm sure that someone who had lost someone close to them would react differently to the novel; I wonder what they would think of the 'Moving On Group' - where the characters were more caricatures, I felt, though this didn't detract from the novel. Like one of the other reviewers, I wondered how much of the novel was based on the author's real life experiences.
As for the ending: I know that one of the reviewers said she wanted a 'Reader, I married him' type of ending, but this wouldn't have been right for Lou. She needed to get away and have her own life - for a while at least.
As for a sequel - I wonder if Jo Jo Moyes has left the ending open deliberately? I think I'd like to know what happened to Lou eventually.
I'm definitely going to have to read 'Me before you' now!
Thank you, Gransnet, for introducing me to an author who I might not have come across without your bookclub. Can't wait to see what you've chosen for November - and we're only half way through October.

JAS Wed 14-Oct-15 09:49:40

Really enjoyed Me Before You and can't wait to read After You. Thank you for all the wonderful books you send.

lgo Wed 14-Oct-15 09:51:47

Thanks for the copy of After You,I feel to do it justice I will try and get hold of Me Before You.I hate reading books in the wrong order.

Thanks again for the prize.

DavidH22 Wed 14-Oct-15 10:35:04

Another very enjoyable read from JoJo Moyes with characters I could relate to, recognise and feel I got to know. Although it's not as thought-provoking as Me Before You it still provided enough emotional moments, drama and action in each chapter to keep me reading and all in an easy-going writing style I so enjoy in Ms Moyes' work. Please feel free to shoot me down in flames with this question as I have not read every book you have written. In those I have read - definitely three and possibly five - there never seems to be a truly evil character. Mr Garside, for instance, could have been a much more sexual predator yet he's dealt with within a few pages. Is it a case of you knowing your market and sticking to it or do you not feel comfortable expanding on the baddies you do introduce?

MammaN Wed 14-Oct-15 10:55:13

I was keen to know what happened after Me Before You and ordered After You on kindle the day it came out. Couldn't put it down and was desperate for a happy ending for Louise. I found all the characters very credible. I look forward to the final book in the trilogy. There has to be one please.

I hadn't read Jojo Moyes before but I have now added several of her books to my kindle holiday reading list.

Happygran65 Wed 14-Oct-15 11:42:32

I had previously read Me Before You and thoroughly enjoyed After You. I have more JoJo Moyes novels on my kindle and intend to read all of her books. My question is about Sam - we don't learn a lot about his past history or love life. I felt as though I wanted to know more about him. I loved the book and hope there is a sequel.

SuzC Wed 14-Oct-15 11:55:38

Thank you Gransnet/Penguin Random House for my copy of this book. I loved it and could not put it down! It is humorous, warm - will make you laugh & cry and was an overall delight to read. I felt I really engaged with the characters and so wanted that happy ending for Louisa. There is another book here isn't there? I'm sure there must be...

Spidergran Wed 14-Oct-15 12:06:04

I have never read any JoJo Moyes books before so this was a new experience for me. It explored the issues of moral responsibility very well, how she felt she owed it to Will to look after his daughter even though she had no blood or legal ties to Lily. I have known many young people like Lily and her problems are more common that you may believe. All the characters had great depth and the book explores well the contrasting ways people are affected by and have to deal with grief. Humourous parts added to the enjoyment. A comfort is offered to those in grief by making it very clear there is no set time-limit and each person recovers in their own way, in their own time. Excellent book thank you.

soup Wed 14-Oct-15 13:18:22

I had not read Me Before You so only knew what had happened by references in Me After You. I may well read it now. I read Me After You very quickly and found it quite engaging although I agree that the party on the roof was a bit silly.
Some of what happened was a bit predictable, it was obvious that Sam was going to get hurt and equally obvious that he wouldn't die.

I do think that the ending has been left so that there could be another book.

Elizabeth180 Wed 14-Oct-15 19:32:13

I've now read 'After You' and really enjoyed it. It was great to follow the next stage of Louisa's journey. I wonder where Jo Jo Moyes gets her inspiration from for the characters. They are all so identifiable.
I really did not want the book to end and wonder if there'll be a sequel to 'After You'.

pinkwallpaper Thu 15-Oct-15 08:35:08

Not such an emotional book as previous but well written with Louisa's character being extremely well written. I found the story gripping and wanted to keep reading but was a little disappointed by the end and just wondered if author had left it like this for a further book?.

shysal Thu 15-Oct-15 13:20:15

I loved this book, read it faster than anything I have recently. I would like to ask why it took so long to bring out this sequel? Was it deliberate, or did stuff get in the way? Also, if there is a book 3 (I hope so), will I have to wait a few years?

winifred01 Thu 15-Oct-15 15:21:08

Just finished After you - didn't want it to end! Thank you so much Gransnet/ Penguin Random House. A pleasure to read ,big book with easy to read print.
The characters in the story were interesting, I sometimes lost patience with Lou for letting Lily get away with such bad behaviour, I would not have been so kind. The relationship between her parents, lots of us oldies can relate to that!
As,has been suggested previously, we would love the next installment of Lou's life.
Many thanks Jojo for a good read.