Gransnet forums

Books/book club

Think I've missed the April book club announcement.

(32 Posts)
Nana3 Thu 31-Mar-16 11:22:47

Why do I always miss 'stuff'. I keep a diary, I write on the calendar, sometimes a friend will say something like, "see you Friday" and I won't know why.
I really try to remember GN book club but I've just realised it's the end of March and I must have missed the announcement AGAIN blush.

LauraGransnet (GNHQ) Thu 31-Mar-16 11:54:12

Never fear, Nana3, our pick for April is being announced tomorrow! smile

Alea Thu 31-Mar-16 11:55:56

Whew.! I assumed I had missed it too!!

wot Thu 31-Mar-16 12:57:20

Wow! Just received my copy of 'Shtum'. Really pleased; I shall be happy tonight, reading!

wot Thu 31-Mar-16 13:02:42

Meant to say Thank you!

eGJ Thu 31-Mar-16 13:10:45

SHTUM arrived an hour ago; I dived straight in. So far it has made me smile, catch my breathe, feel sad and begin to understand the problems parents can have with children who are not what most would judge to be "normal" Questions for Jem Lester will be forthcoming. Thank you for this one GN flowers

Buddie Thu 31-Mar-16 13:34:40

Shtum has just arrived here, too. Many thanks for my copy. One chapter of current book to complete so will soon be giving it my full attention.

LauraGransnet (GNHQ) Thu 31-Mar-16 14:41:43

Ooops sorry, Nana3 - I meant that the details will be going back up tomorrow, but the giveaway part has now ended. Look out for those if you want to grab a copy and join in.

glassortwo Thu 31-Mar-16 16:40:48

Thank you GNHQ just arrived home to a copy of Shtum, want to sit down and start it but somebody must have been in while I was out and left a right tip shock

lucyinthesky Thu 31-Mar-16 16:44:12

I've already read 'Shtum' it's a great book - sad but also humorous. Jem Lester has an autistic son which may be why it is such a believable read.

halfgran Thu 31-Mar-16 17:01:39

Thank you, just received my copy of Shtum, cant recall applying for it so a greater surprise. Really looking forward to starting it tonight.

gillyknits Thu 31-Mar-16 17:07:07

Wow, that was quick.Just got my copy of Shtum and it isn't even April until tomorrow. Gives me plenty of time to read it.
I found that if I wanted to apply for the books it was a good idea to go on the forums and click the link for 'book club'. Then you can click the link for the next month's book.I will look for May book towards the middle of April. (Just have to remember to do it, which isn't easy these days)

Maggiemaybe Thu 31-Mar-16 17:31:36

LauraGransnet, I don't understand confused Has the place for the link for applying for the monthly books changed then? I (along with others) did report last month that I hadn't seen the announcement for March's choice under Books, where it always used to be, and we were just told that it had appeared as usual and all books had been claimed. I've been looking out for April's over the past couple of weeks in the usual place, but it seems I've missed out again. If the link's now under Forums/Book Club, it would have been nice to have been informed (so thank you gillyknits) sad

Waveney Thu 31-Mar-16 17:37:45

I agree, Maggiemaybe, I have no idea how to find the book of the month now as it has always been on the home page.Lauragransnet, could you please explain it to me! I am really disappointed.sad

Maggiemaybe Thu 31-Mar-16 17:39:53

Well, I've found it now. For anyone else who's missed out as well, and has hopes of getting any future books, you've to click on Books, then on the link about Want to Join the Book Club, which is under the link to March's book confused And that's where the application form for the April book must have been.

Waveney Thu 31-Mar-16 17:50:03

Just managed to find it, thanks Maggiemaybe! I think you might have to be on the desktop version as well. it's a good job I have a backlog of books to read this month!

Maggiemaybe Thu 31-Mar-16 17:59:47

Me too, Waveney, what with Christmas, birthday and Mother's Day smile I'll be first in the queue for May's book, though!

Nana3 Thu 31-Mar-16 18:27:35

Has anyone seen the application form on an iPad?
I'll definitely get a copy of Schtum, it's subject is very relevant in our family. Thank you lucyinthesky for saying what it is about.
Sounds like a few regular readers in the book club have been having problems accessing the form.

matson Thu 31-Mar-16 18:33:06

Shtum, arrived today , thank you, really looking forward to reading this book.

hjw2505 Thu 31-Mar-16 19:32:56

My copy of Shtum, has arrived - perfect timing - this will be my reading matter for my commute to work over the next few days, although if I get hooked I'll probably finish the book this weekend.

Redpaws Thu 31-Mar-16 19:53:04

Received my copy of Shtum. Really looking forward to reading it as the cover states that it's likely to be enjoyed by fans of 'The Rosie Project' and I really enjoyed that book and the sequel. Thank you Gransnet.

LaraGransnet (GNHQ) Fri 01-Apr-16 10:31:43

Hello! Sorry to hear some of you have missed April's bookclub giveaway. We usually put it on the home page, on the books page and in the newsletter around the middle of the month.

Would it be helpful if we popped it on the forums too? Don't want to overload you with book posts but also wouldn't want those of you who are interested to miss it again.

Elsie10 Fri 01-Apr-16 12:08:50

Shtum just arrived - great timing - just coming to the end of JoJo Moyes Night Music which I have really enjoyed - and was wondering what I would read next. Thank you

Frannygranny Fri 01-Apr-16 17:11:16

Thanks for Schtum. Just finished a great John Grisham, so perfect timing.

Maggiemaybe Fri 01-Apr-16 18:58:15

I haven't had a newsletter for months - I thought you'd stopped sending them. I'm starting to feel pushed out grin