Gransnet forums

Books/book club

Children's book giveaway: Give Please a Chance

(45 Posts)
SorchaGransnet (GNHQ) Tue 20-Dec-16 14:02:38

This month, we teamed up with publisher Young Arrow to give away 50 copies of children's picture book Give Please a Chance.

Winners should be receiving their copies in the next couple of weeks and we want to know what you (and your grandchildren) thought about the book.

Please post your feedback on this thread - everyone who posts feedback by midday 27 January will be entered into a prize draw to win a £100 Love2shop voucher.

Give Please a Chance is a picture book celebrating the magic of the word 'please'. It is written by bestselling authors James Patterson and Bill O'Reilly and packed with vivid illustrations. This book is recommended for ages 0-5.

This discussion is sponsored by Young Arrow

grannyqueenie Thu 12-Jan-17 17:42:45

nelliemaggs I thought it was just me being picky!

Valski Thu 12-Jan-17 18:36:04

Wonderful book - fully appreciated by my granddaughter.. we have now started a game, including finding our own times and situations which run along the same theme and express gratitude. Has quickly become a favourite game on the long walk to school and home! Thank you Gransnet - really appreciated it - Nan and granddaughter alike! xx

Annie29 Thu 12-Jan-17 18:40:45

I have written a review for this book,sorry must have done it in the wrong place.
Thank you for the book,lovely hard cover and bright pictures. I read it to my 3 year old Grandchildren, they asked me to read it several times.
In some of the situations I had to explain why 'Please' was used as it wasn't obvious to a child right away.
I have no problem with the God page.
My 88 year old Mother read it as she reads James Patterson books.

GranAnn42 Thu 12-Jan-17 19:20:22

It was a lovely book and my grandchildren have enjoyed the pictures.

cde58 Thu 12-Jan-17 21:04:33

Thanks for this book. My 4 year old granddaughter read it to me - the text and language was simple enough for her. She enjoyed it and discussed the situations and pictures.

As other people have said, I wasn't at all happy with the God page and wasn't sure how to approach this. However my granddaughter read the page and had nothing to comment about it, unlike every other page. It was obviously outside of her experience and didn't interest her.

kezza1979 Sat 14-Jan-17 14:18:21

What a lovely book. The illustrations are exceptional all by different artists. The twins absolutely loved it and each illustration gives you plenty to talk about on top of the simple written text

Supernan05 Mon 16-Jan-17 13:39:45

Thankyou for the book, it really has beautiful illustrations. My grandchildren are - one year old girl, five, six and seven year old boys and another girl aged nine. I got the chance to read it with my six year old grandson and nine year old granddaughter. My grandson has some problems sounding out so it was nice to sit with him going through the simple text and talking about what was happening in the pictures and why "please" was in each of them even though it wasn't always obvious. As we went through, he found it easier to tell me, without much prompting, exactly what each child was actually asking. Once finished I asked if he enjoyed the book and if he knew what it is teaching. "Yes" he liked the book very much and and it was "to teach children to be polite and have manners" - to remember to say please!

shaddai88 Mon 16-Jan-17 16:19:29

Thank you for the wonderful book. My grandson, rising one years old loves the bold big colorful pictures and listens attentively when read to him. My son in his 20's who read it thinks it is brilliant to instill the word 'Please' early on in the young lives of little children. I agreed as I taught my sons this very important word in life.I have given the book to my daughter in law who has been reading it to my grandson and think it is a fantastic book

RuthKJones Sat 21-Jan-17 14:20:28

Thank you for the book which was much enjoyed by my 4 year old granddaughter. Illustrations are lovely.

audreydoc Sun 22-Jan-17 11:17:46

Thank you very much for the lovely book, I have been reading it with my eldest grandson ( almost 4) he has enjoyed adding the word please at the end of every page. It will be used again for his younger brother so both will benefit from the very important message. Love the illustrations too.

Mopsx4 Sun 22-Jan-17 19:23:40

I read this book with my gas aged 4 and 15 months. The younger one quite liked it and did look at the pictures himself when it was on the sofa but the older one didn't like it and only listened to a few pages before going off.
I like others wasn't sure about the please being placed at the end of every sentence and felt that some of the situations felt that you wouldn't use please in that manner.
I did like the pictures and felt they gave lots of scope for discussion.
Don't think this is going to become a favourite with the boys.

maciv234 Thu 26-Jan-17 17:52:01

we loved the book

Inthepink06 Thu 26-Jan-17 18:36:31

I read this book with my 3 year old granddaughter, it has not impressed me or her at all or my daughter when she read it with her. The two authors are not know to me as children's authors so don't have a sway for me to search out their other books to compare. Pleasant enough illustrations but not a book we'll be returning to here or at her house, it doesn't have "pull", a rhythm or rhymes, doesn't show the children examples of adults saying please to them. It will be read a few times and end up at the back of the bookcase, unloved and unwanted.

Gary47 Thu 26-Jan-17 20:05:22

I read this firstly with my four year old grandson, who having gone thru it once wanted to do it twice more ! Its beautifully illustrated, and a nice format/size, but would have preferred the God reference omitted. My five year old grandson said he liked the illustrations very much.Manners are so important and there doesnt seem to be enough emphasis by todays parents in enforcing them, so this book touched a cord with me.

cookiemonster66 Thu 26-Jan-17 20:37:33

Absolutely loved reading this book with my grandaughter, very pleased someone has written a book about manners, it is something that was drummed into us as kids, think many kids today dont bother with manners, this book is ideal for teaching manners in a fun way, many thanks!

shazzie Fri 27-Jan-17 11:10:55

I have to say that if I'd seen this book in a shop I'm not sure it's one I'd have bought so it was lovely to get the chance to read it. We normally read books with more of a story and I'm afraid at times my gd got a bit bored with the repetition. My gd loved the cover with the raised writing and could just sit and stroke it for ages! We both loved all the pictures and I enjoyed that they used so many different artists. I didn't think all the situations in the book quite made sense and, I'm afraid we skip the page with the prayers as this means nothing to my gd. Overall a sweet book with some lovely pictures but I'm not sure it will become a firm favourite in our house.

baubles Fri 27-Jan-17 13:06:49

Thank you for my copy. I'm afraid it wasn't really a hit with my GC aged 6,4, and 1. They know the importance of good manners (well perhaps not the baby just yet) but the 'please' placed at the end of some of the illustrations didn't seem to make sense to the older two. The reference to god wasn't necessary in my opinion, that alone would have stopped me from buying it.

Having said all that, they and I liked the illustrations, it's a big bold book, however I'm not quite sure what age it's aimed at.

SorchaGransnet (GNHQ) Fri 27-Jan-17 17:11:48

Thanks all for your very thorough feedback. It seems the illustrations by the different artists were appreciated but the religious aspect in the book less so. We'll pass your thoughts onto the publisher which I'm sure they'll find helpful.

And now the moment you've been waiting for <drum roll> The winner of the prize draw is... rocketstop! Congratulations - do check your emails so we can get the £100 voucher sent out to you flowers

rocketstop Sat 28-Jan-17 14:37:15

Thank you so much to Gransnet for telling me I am the winner of the voucher, it's a lovely surprise and I look forward to receiving it.