Gransnet forums

Books/book club

What are you reading now 2

(450 Posts)
MargaretX Mon 12-Jun-17 15:02:44

I'm looking for books to read or download onto my Kindle
I've just finished The Co op's got Bananas by Hunter Davies and its hard to follow it!
And so sad that Margaret Forster has died last year. I will read all her books including non fiction again sometime.

rareskyone Wed 17-Feb-21 13:02:51

The trial pits the evidence of the white Ewell family against Tom's evidence. Chapter 23 analysis of 'To kill a mockingbird'. mybk-experience.onl www.mcdvoicesurvey.onl/

jenny04 Wed 24-Feb-21 03:08:30

I'm very much fond of reading. I have just finished "Mindset by Carol Dweck," one of the most life-changing books I ever read.
Anybody completed "The Cold Millions," a novel by Jess Walter. Heard good reviews. Want to read that one.

chicken Fri 26-Feb-21 13:11:49

I've been rereading the whole "Wintercombe" series (4 long books) by Pamela Belle, written about 30 years ago but still absolutely wonderful. They are all available on Kindle. It's a story about a family in the West Country, set during the Civil War. A troop of Cavaliers are billeted on this Puritan household who live in the house called Wintercombe, which is an actual National Trust house with a different name, and it's set in the real village of Philips Norton. It's an engrossing love story, family saga and history lesson---it would make a wonderful TV costume drama.

LCoy Wed 03-Mar-21 17:37:25

I just finished Anton Chekhov's Uncle Vanya yesterday. Great read and finally a Chekhov's where the protagonists live to suffer. I have started with Murakami's Wild Sheep Chase. The character and story building has taken some time but it has not been a let-off yet. Finally, I have been reading Tommy Orange's There There, an excellent book on the indigenous lives in an America unrecognizable to the native experience. An important piece of literature - a pioneering work of the New Native Renaissance, highly recommend it.

foxie48 Sun 07-Mar-21 10:55:13

I have just finished Half of a yellow sun by Adichie. I thoroughly recommend it. She writes very well and the story develops so I became really invested in the main characters. I knew little about Nigeria and the civil war though I remembered the pictures of the "Biafran babies" but didn't understand why there was a famine. I now know something of what happened. It follows the story of twin sisters who come from a wealthy Igbo family, follows their lives and loves and experience of being Biafran, it's very sad in parts but not maudlin.

nanna8 Sun 07-Mar-21 11:27:01

‘The Spider’ by Barry Levine about Geoffrey Edelstein and the Maxwell woman. Got it online from my local library.

Rosiebee Sun 07-Mar-21 13:25:12

I've just started "Grown Ups" by Marian Keyes.
My first by this author. Well it throws you straight into the midst of this very large family- so many characters and complicated relationships. There is a family tree at the beginning of the book and I find myself constantly referring back to it, which is a bit tiresome. Hopefully someone else will have read this book and be able to encourage me to continue with it. I have listened to her on the radio and I really want to like her work.

G1asgowgal Tue 09-Mar-21 21:36:00

Have just finished reading all of Steve Cavanaghs books
Started with Fifty Fifty and enjoyed it immensely so much so that I went to the beginning of his Eddie Flynn series and read through them all. Thirteen is also fantastic. So if you enjoy a thriller you have to read these. I am eagerly awaiting his new book which is out in the next few weeks.

I also am re reading Harlan Coben’s Myron Bolitar series from the beginning again. A great storyteller. Fantastic characters.

magwis Wed 10-Mar-21 10:41:11

Mary Lawson - bought 2 of her books to read on my old kindle.

Blossoming Wed 10-Mar-21 10:43:08

I’m re-reading the ‘Shardlake’ series. Currently on book 1 Dissolution.

isabellseven Sat 13-Mar-21 15:50:28

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Whitewavemark2 Sun 28-Mar-21 13:38:56

“The Smell of Summer Grass” by Adam Nicholson.

A lovely, lovely read made more so as it is in my neck of the woods.

Love the description of a horses bottom!

Whitewavemark2 Sun 28-Mar-21 14:09:39

A

MalenaMorgan Sat 28-Aug-21 08:45:05

Thanks For Sharing Such An Interesting Article, It Is Really Worthy To Read. I Have Subscribed To You And From Now On I'll Check Your Profile Daily For Interesting Stuff. No Time To Die James Bond Blue Jacket

emmajohan Tue 26-Oct-21 13:55:01

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk guidelines.

Lincslass Tue 26-Oct-21 15:08:43

Callistemon

Furret

maggiemaybe don't you think that Alexander whatever his name is must be the most boring man outside of Yorkshire? ?

Perhaps because he's always very pleasant and not acerbic.
He is a comedian too but perhaps Pointless pays well!

He is a very talented presenter. singer, actor. and comedian. Raises monetise for charity.
www.classicfm.com/radio/charity/alexander-armstrong-music-marathon-24-concerts-24-hours/

Lincslass Tue 26-Oct-21 15:11:20

Monies, although monetise might fit ?

Hellogirl1 Thu 04-Nov-21 14:53:16

My youngest daughter buys and sells secondhand books. She`s just shown me a book that was in her latest batch. It`s called "All that Men Know about Women"......................it`s a book of blank pages! Wonder if she`ll find a buyer for it?

pea007 Sun 07-Nov-21 18:32:16

I’ve just downloaded Billy Connolly’s autobiography, Windswept and Interesting. Love Billy and his style of writing so enjoying it very much, very easy to read.

turgutvid Sat 04-Dec-21 08:42:20

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk guidelines.

fairfraise Sat 04-Dec-21 08:56:09

I'm at the end of An Unquiet Heart by Martin Sixsmith, set in prewar and revolutionary Russia about a famous poet his loves and life and the absolute tragedy of events at that time. Gripping.

Luckygirl3 Sat 04-Dec-21 10:24:31

The Tent, The Bucket and Me by Emma Kennedy.

It is hysterical!

Just the thing for the cold winter months.

pauline121 Sun 06-Feb-22 16:36:29

I'm reading Ugly love, Punk 57, Crave

elliot009 Thu 24-Feb-22 22:53:40

I am reading the age of Vikings. The book is all about Vikings' culture and self reliability like how they made everything. The weapons, clothes and armors, and many other things that they made themselves.

jassonroy Sat 19-Mar-22 08:09:21

Carters Coupon Code is the best way to avail discounts on Carter's store shopping, there are lots of items on which you can avail the discount, amazing offers so visit the store by clicking the button and Save your Pocket now!
couponsagent.com/front/store-profile/carters-coupon-codes