Gransnet forums

Books/book club

What are you reading now 2

(450 Posts)
MargaretX Mon 12-Jun-17 15:02:44

I'm looking for books to read or download onto my Kindle
I've just finished The Co op's got Bananas by Hunter Davies and its hard to follow it!
And so sad that Margaret Forster has died last year. I will read all her books including non fiction again sometime.

Witzend Sat 19-Mar-22 08:22:32

Re-reading Miss Marjoribanks, by Margaret Oliphant, on my Kindle.
Something of a comfort-read - escapism from the relentless bad news.
Recommended for anyone who likes Victorian authors - it’s a ‘domestic’ type of (largely) comedy.

But today I’m going to collect A Brief History Of Everyone Who’s Ever Lived (about our genes) from Waterstone’s. Can’t recall the author offhand, but he’s a geneticist who’s been featured quite a bit on R4.
According to reviews, eminently readable for the lay-person.

lavendermine Sat 19-Mar-22 08:34:32

Reading Gillian McAllister's "No Further Questions".
Just finished the last of Shari Lapena's books, enjoyed them all.
I have a book about the Tudors sitting on my bedside table waiting for me.

Whitewavemark2 Sat 19-Mar-22 09:15:45

All the Light we Cannot See by Anthony Doerr.

It is so appropriate with what is happening in Ukraine, and well written. About a third of the way through.

johnbuttler Sat 19-Mar-22 09:51:12

Message deleted by Gransnet for breaking our forum guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

nadateturbe Sat 19-Mar-22 12:20:11

Just got Lemn Sissay autobiography and Lark Rise. Have to decide which to read first. Also reading rubbish novel on Kindle The Trouble with Clare and working through Joni Eareckson's Pearls of Great Price.
Miss Marjoribanks sounds good Witzend. Might add to the list.

Ladyleftfieldlover Sat 19-Mar-22 12:38:44

In the last week or two I’ve read half a dozen Agatha Christies, The Mad Women's Ball by Victoria Mas and have just finished the Thursday Murder Club by Richard Osman. I started Bitch by Lucy Cooke, which I’m going to enjoy!

sodapop Sat 19-Mar-22 13:12:37

I'm re reading some of the Georgette Heyer books. I've just started the latest Helen Field thriller with Luc Callanach.

Mapleleaf Sat 19-Mar-22 23:44:38

I’m re-reading some of the Miss Read books at the moment. They are a very easy, relaxing read and during these present horrible times we are witnessing, I’m finding them rather comforting.

whatapk Wed 23-Mar-22 17:40:16

wonderful
<a href='https://whatapk.net/yareel-3d-mod-apk/'>https://whatapk.net/yareel-3d-mod-apk/</a>

whatapk Wed 23-Mar-22 17:40:46

I’m re-reading some of the Miss Read books at the moment. They are a very easy, relaxing read and during these present horrible times we are witnessing, I’m finding them rather comforting.
whatapk.net/plato-mod-apk/

whatapk Wed 23-Mar-22 17:41:07

whatapk.net/yareel-3d-mod-apk/

Whiff Wed 23-Mar-22 17:49:03

I'm reading all the books I have by Ilona Andrews on Magic Slays at the moment. Got into fantasy novels 18 years ago when my husband died. I was 45. Can't stand standard romance or historical novels. Like some thing with a good story, plenty of action , love and sex.

Nyman1962 Wed 23-Mar-22 19:18:35

I like Miss Read too
They are nostalgic, and remind me of a gentler, rural England.
Undemanding and gentle

Entirelyfading Wed 23-Mar-22 20:26:09

A Perfectly Good Family by Lionel Shriver. Absorbing, dark humour, well-described characters. I didn’t enjoy “Kevin” which is probably her best-known work.

nadateturbe Fri 25-Mar-22 08:43:54

Which Miss Read book should I read first please?

PinkCosmos Fri 25-Mar-22 09:11:48

nadateturbe

Which Miss Read book should I read first please?

Thrush Green by Miss Read is set in the Cotswold in the 50's. I read them all along with the Fairacre series when I was in my teens. Have always thought I should re-read them. Looking on Amazon, it looks like they have been reprinted as I couldn't find any of them when I looked a year or two ago. Lovely books.

I have just bought Wilt by Tom Sharpe after finding one of the later ones in the series in a charity shop. I also read this as a teenager and remember it being very funny. Not sure how I will feel about it decades later.

I am currently reading The Dutch House by Anna Patchett and enjoying it, though I wasn't really sure what to expect.

I have also just finished Rites of Spring by Anders De La Motte. It is set in Sweden and is scandi-crime. It was a bit long winded and I guessed the ending. I don't usually read crime thrillers.

I can recommend My Life in Houses by Margaret Forster, or anything else by her.

Anita Shreve is also a favourite of mine, along with the Gormenghast trilogy by Mervyn Peake

loopyloo Fri 25-Mar-22 12:09:15

Miss Read is great. I love books that have a positive vibe. OK the characters have problems but work their way through to a good conclusion
The jockey books were like that. You know the ones I mean.

nadateturbe Fri 25-Mar-22 23:18:38

PinkCosmos thanks for your recommendations. Very helpful.

nadateturbe Fri 25-Mar-22 23:20:47

Have just downloaded Thrush Green ?

Susie42 Sat 26-Mar-22 13:26:07

I’m currently reading Abandoned In Death by J D Robb and I have a couple of other books on the go.

Leapingminnow Sat 26-Mar-22 17:29:17

One of my favourites is The House on the Strand by Daphne du Maurier. Instead of just wondering what it is like to live in the past the main character finds himself in his Cornish holiday house but in 14th century Cornwall. Persuaded to try an experimental drug he switches between the past and present until he slips between them a bit too easily, muddling the two. It’s so believable, you can see how that could happen but when he sees a murder in the past, things get even more difficult.

judyawalters2 Wed 13-Apr-22 09:40:58

Its a really interesting and informative article for me. I appreciate your work and skills. Thanks for sharing! www.shopcelebswear.com/product/morbius-dr-michael-leather-coat/

echt Mon 18-Apr-22 05:14:36

I'm nearing the end of "The Nowhere Child" by Christian White for my book club, and my God it's Purgatory.

On the other hand about to begin the second volume of the Patrick Melrose novels by Edward St Aubyn. The first volume was outstanding: superb writing, and compellingly odious characters.

Cybermonster Mon 02-May-22 13:24:15

Now I'm struggling to read Lise Bourbeau's "Listen to Your Body - Your Best Friend on Earth". It's a good book but I'm terribly depressed right now and it's hard for me to do anything at all. By the way, the book helps me a little bit.

Lark123 Sun 22-May-22 16:26:45

Seeing a topic on another thread right now: to be "fed up with renovations of a neighbour's house" reminds me of a book I read this spring.

I found informative and at times humourous: "Open House: A Life in Thirty-Two Moves", by the author Jane Christmas.

Just from reading a few of the posts on the thread mentioned above put me in mind of the author's experience, from being the 'neighbour' doing the renovating.

Interesting how things are done, not at all enviable, but a good read.