Gransnet forums

Books/book club

Is anyone able to recommend a book as good as this please?

(141 Posts)
Alima Fri 05-Oct-18 07:21:47

I have just finished “The Heart’s Invisible Furies” by John Boyne. One of those books you don’t want to end. Funny, sad, wonderful. Feel that Cyril Avery is an old friend. Now feeling bereft and cannot find anything I want to read. Help!

grandmac Fri 05-Oct-18 11:55:24

The Light Between Oceans by M L Stedman

1000 Splendid Suns by Khaled Hosseini

Any book by Mitch Albion.

mabon1 Fri 05-Oct-18 12:06:42

You will be gob-smacked if you read Memoirs of a Radical Lawyer by Michael Mansfield.

anniesgrannie Fri 05-Oct-18 12:10:02

I've used this service for ages and hardly use the physical library now, love it.

Mercedes55 Fri 05-Oct-18 12:11:11

Thank you so much nannypiano for that information about borrowing ebooks and audio books from the local library, I had no idea you could do that!
I have just downloaded the app onto my phone and ipod and applied for membership and am looking forward to starting downloading smile

anniesgrannie Fri 05-Oct-18 12:11:18

Should have put on-line service.

TerriBull Fri 05-Oct-18 12:13:04

I sympathise Alima, "The Heart's Invisible Furies" is not only the best book I've read this year, but the best book I've read for a long time. The closest thing in my mind to it would be "The Goldfinch", which divided opinions, but to me it had the same sweeping novel feel about it, insomuch as it dealt with love and loss and saw the transformation of the main character from child to adult, battling adversity throughout. "All the Light we Cannot See" would probably be another, but at times I found it a tad dull. A couple more in a similar vein, "Middlesex" by Jeffrey Eugenides, the story of a 3 generational Greek family who left Asia Minor in the 1920s when hostilities between the Greeks and Turks made life impossible to stay where they grew up. The two main characters, a brother and a sister escape to Detroit, US where the brother gets a job in The Ford car factory when it was in it's zenith. The narrative continues following the two successive generations and their fortunes, taking in seminal times, such as the Wall Street crash and the race riots of the sixties. The title of the book relates to one of the characters who is born of indeterminate sex and therein hangs the plot that underpins the book. A Pulitzer Prize winner I believe. In the same vein, I would also recommend "The Poisonwood Bible" Barbara Kingsolver. The story of a maniacal Baptist preacher from the deep south who takes his wife and daughters to what was was formerly the Belgian Congo in the late 50s early 1960s on the cusp of that country becoming independent. Again it spans quite a few years. As well as the central character of the preacher, the book also deals with the politics of the time in that part of Africa and how the preacher's wife and daughters are affected by their father's decisions. Again sublime.

GrandmasueUK Fri 05-Oct-18 12:22:52

I, too, loved The Unlikely Pilgrimage of Harold Fry and also Elizabeth is Missing by Emma Healey. I usually read Crime novels, but these are very different.

NanaEm Fri 05-Oct-18 12:44:20

Alima thankyou so much for this post. I’ve been stuck in a rut for good reads and now have an exciting list of new authors to explore smile

Lolol Fri 05-Oct-18 13:19:45

I too have joined the library online and it is amazing. I had given up reading as I found it hard to concentrate. I now read so many books. I always thought I preferred an actual book but this is so easy .

yellowcanary Fri 05-Oct-18 13:34:12

I'm reading (amongst others) A Perfectly Good Man by Patrick Gale - it does go backwards and forwards so sometimes confused but then that is partly my fault as I put it down and go back to it. I wouldn't normally have picked it up but I was at the library picking up/taking back some books and it was on the counter.

I've always got a couple of books - whether physical or ebook - on the go, can't get into audiobooks they send me to sleep smile smile

Lancslass1 Fri 05-Oct-18 13:39:39

Our Reading Group book this month is "The Orpnn Train" by Christina Baker Kline.
I found it unputdownable.

Lancslass1 Fri 05-Oct-18 13:47:34

Sorry it should be "The Orphan Train" previous message.

Alima Fri 05-Oct-18 13:54:06

Thank you all, some brilliant ideas here. I think the next one I try will be All the Light We Cannot See. It’s on my bookshelf at home! I have ordered several John Boyne books from the library. I shall look out for Patrick Gayle and A Man Called Ove. I knew you would be the people to ask! (TerriBull, it was your account of The Heart’s Invisible Furies” that made me want to read it!)

Jane10 Fri 05-Oct-18 14:12:38

I joined the library especially to download books but alas my trusty kindle isn't the right type. It's old but works fine - just not up to date enough software in it. Drat!

hillwalker70 Fri 05-Oct-18 14:23:29

Jane 10, I loved a Man called Ove and the film, I was completely on his wavelength.

HannahLoisLuke Fri 05-Oct-18 14:29:52

I didn't like A Man Called Ove either, but will try some of the other suggestions.

cavewoman Fri 05-Oct-18 14:41:23

Another vote for Patrick Gale. Especially "A Place Called Winter"
Have also recently enjoyed "He said /She said" by Erin Kelly
about an alleged rape during an eclipse.In fact the whole story revolves around eclipse chasers.The twist at the end is brilliant.

Jane10 Fri 05-Oct-18 14:54:04

Working with adults with Aspergers, Ove was extremely authentic to me. Very touching. I smiled all the time I was reading it!

cavewoman Fri 05-Oct-18 15:08:54

I also loved The Goldfinch" TerriBull. Along with her (Donna Tartt) "Secret History". She must be due another soon?

lemongrove Fri 05-Oct-18 15:13:37

All The Light etc is the best book I have read in a long time.
A Man Called Ove is amusing and moving in equal measure, as is The Unlikley Pilgrimage etc.
I enjoyed Alfred and Emily by Doris Lessing recently.

TerriBull Fri 05-Oct-18 16:01:25

Oh forgotten that Alima, I loved The Heart's Invisible Furies I always give it a mention if the opportunity arises, hence posting same again today, anyway glad it made the same impression on you.

Yes I also loved Secret History cavewoman, I read it years ago when it was first published wasn't so keen on her 2nd one, but adored the Goldfinch. She doesn't produce many. Hopefully she's working on another good one. Incidentally, they are shooting a film of the Goldfinch. I did read Nicole Kidman is in it, interesting to see whether it lives up to the book.

Framilode Fri 05-Oct-18 16:14:23

Hillwalker 70, I second a Place Called Winter.

Lindajoy Fri 05-Oct-18 16:20:52

Anything by Peter May or Sebastian Faulks!

Funnygran Fri 05-Oct-18 16:24:06

I'm another Patrick Gale fan. I was so taken with one of his books that I left a comment on his website and got a lovely email back from him to thank me. I also read The Hearts Invisible Furies a short while ago and loved it. I think he wrote The Boy in the Striped Pyjamas as well. I'm a big fan of William Boyd and have enjoyed everything I've read of his, including the wonderful Any Human Heart.

Lancslass1 Fri 05-Oct-18 16:35:52

The Personal history of Rahel Du Pre by Ann Weisgarber.is a book was short listed for the Orange prize a few years ago.
A heartwarming and moving story.