Gransnet forums

Books/book club

Fifty Books a Year (or fewer)

(805 Posts)
TerriBull Tue 01-Jan-19 07:58:29

Here it is then, GN very own 50 books a year thead, or as the title suggest for those who think that may be a tad too many for them, whatever your personal best may be after a culmination of reading for a year. Don't be daunted by the "50" benchmark, as this is the first thread of its kind, it is experimental and will evolve as it progresses.

So to recap, start off with what you are reading now, or with a new book. How often you come to the thread is up to the individual. Over on MN, some seem to up date every so often with the next few they've read. If you feel so inclined post a review or a synopsis of the book. Definitely share if it's something you've loved......or hated, or shelved hmm Reading material is not restricted to fiction, it can be anything, factual, audio, childrens, The Hungry Caterpillar or the like even!, such books count towards the 50, so who knows, you could be at that figure by the end of today grin

At the end of the year post your complete list with your best read in bold, worst in italics and mention your top five, or top book if you've just read five sad

Here's wishing those who partake a great reading year ahead in 2019.

ecci53 Wed 02-Jan-19 11:54:43

I love this idea - I think I read a lot more than 50 in a year, but I never write down what they are. Will try to do so this year. I'm a great fan of science fiction and fantasy, apparently this is unusual for a woman of my age! Currently reading the first of a fantasy trilogy - Sinner by Sara Douglass.

pinkwallpaper Wed 02-Jan-19 11:56:53

I have to read The Children's Book by AS Byatt for book group and am not looking forward to it. Tried to read it a while ago and just could not take to it. Has anyone enjoyed it?

weenanni59 Wed 02-Jan-19 12:06:09

I am just starting I am I am I am by Maggie o’Farrell .

teabagwoman Wed 02-Jan-19 12:09:09

Oh yes Pinkwallpapet, I took a long time to get into it but then loved it. The best books, for me, take me into a completely different world and this was one of them. It also got me thinking. A very satisfying read.

sunnydayindorset Wed 02-Jan-19 12:18:39

Just finished "The Witchfinder's Sister. It is an account of the identifying so called witches during the civil War from the viewpoint of an imaginery sister of Matthew Hopkins, the witchfinder general and is set in Suffolk and Essex. I really enjoyed it. Just about to start Helen Duncombe 's Birdcage Walk. I enjoyed the previous one I read about an airman's greatcoat.

Gransey Wed 02-Jan-19 12:28:55

What a wonderful thread. A great resource for seeking out our next read too. Thank you so much for starting it Terribull. I too read on Kindle and very fast so I have Kindle Unlimited. If I’m not working I can read more than a book a day. I have spells of reading non-fiction, do they count? Travel accounts etc? I just finished a true story called ‘Educated’ by Tara Westover, not my usual thing, quite harrowing but was highly recommended. Currently reading Everything is Lies by Helen Callaghan, a thriller, quite twisty.

blossom14 Wed 02-Jan-19 12:34:36

My first read this year is The Frozen Lake by Elizabeth Edmonson. It appears to be a story of two families who live in mansions beside a lake in Westmoreland and begins with the Christmas holidays in the mid 1930's when the lake is frozen over well enough to ice skate. Not my usual genre but I am gradually being drawn in.

GrannyBeek Wed 02-Jan-19 12:35:26

Great thread! I record all books read (no time for reviews) on the www.bookcrossing.com website (I have been an avid Bookcrosser for about 12 years). I’ve just started This is Going to Hurt by Adam Kay (Christmas present from my wishlist). I can see I’ll be getting lots of recommendations here for books to read.

Jane43 Wed 02-Jan-19 12:40:19

I want to read more this year. I used to read a lot but now I spend too much time on this iPad or watching tv, usually simultaneously. I got Michelle Obama’s ‘Becoming’ for Christmas so that will be my first read.

Sarahmob Wed 02-Jan-19 12:45:54

CassieJ I love the Lucind Riley seven sisters, I’ve read them all so far, thoroughly recommend all of the others in the series.

marionk Wed 02-Jan-19 13:02:52

Have just finished Elinor Oliphant is Absolutely Fine and I thoroughly enjoyed it

Chucky Wed 02-Jan-19 13:04:00

As you say, may get up to 50 very quickly. I have just read the Gruffalo to one dgs and the 12 Engines of Christmas to other dgs. Love my cuddles when reading to them! However, I will attempt to read some more Adult reads. My favourite author is “Phillip Margolin.” Not everyone has heard of him, but if you like American Legal Thrillers I can recommend him (I enjoy him much more than John Grisham), though they are NOT for the faint hearted!

pennyh47 Wed 02-Jan-19 13:05:40

Another fan of Eleanor Olliphant is absolutely fine. Once I got into it I was eager to find out her story. Clever writing

Conni7 Wed 02-Jan-19 13:09:01

Lovely to have all these recommendations. I'm reading "Down Under" by Bill Bryson, having just finished "The Road to Little Dribbling" which was a hoot. I received Gyles Brandreth's "Have you eaten Grandma?" for Christmas. Can recommend this to all fellow pedants.

rascalsgran Wed 02-Jan-19 13:09:33

Just started Where Daffodils bloom by Leya Delray-a true story set in my hometown about a local girl who meets an American during the 2nd World war -enjoying it so far.

queenie68 Wed 02-Jan-19 13:10:45

I will give this a go I have just started Sleeping Beauties by Jo Spain so that’s my book 1

Seakay Wed 02-Jan-19 13:15:02

I'm reading "Killing the Lawyers" by Reginald Hill. It's not a Dalziel and Pascoe one, the PI protagonist is Joe Sixsmith.

I hope to join in for the whole year but I'm a bit confused - do we just randomly add to the thread or is there a way of keeping our posts (and therefor our book lists) together?

Keeleklogger Wed 02-Jan-19 13:16:33

I did 35 books last year. Just Finished "We Can see You" by Simon kernick. here is my review on Goodreads

You have it all. Success, a beautiful home, a happy family. Until, in a heartbeat, it's gone. We've kidnapped your daughter, and we know everything about you. Including the dark secrets from your past you thought were forgotten. We tell you not to contact the police - and that we'll know if you do. Because we can see you. And now you know this is no ordinary abduction. It's worse. Within hours you're on the run, with only one thought in your head: That you will stop at nothing to get your daughter back. Even murder.

The story is told in alternating chapters between Brook and the Detectives Tyrone Giant and Jenna King. There is plenty of twists and some secrets in this fast paced novel right from the start. The story is action packed and I was rooting all the way for Brook to find her daughter safe and sound. With tension building from the start, this is a well written and gripping story. Loved it.

An emotionally punchy book blended with the pace and action of a high-octane thriller, WE CAN SEE YOU will keep you breathlessly on the edge of your seat, wondering which character you can trust, if any at all, until the final brilliant twist!

Many thanks to NetGalley and Random House UK, Cornerstone for an advance copy in return for a fair and honest review

Ruby41 Wed 02-Jan-19 13:21:43

Another Eleanor Olliphant fan here - read it last year and loved it. My first book for 2019 is 'Meet me at the Museum' by Anne Youngson - a beautifully written novel in the form of correspondence between an English woman trapped in an unfulfilling life and a lonely Danish museum curator. Only two thirds of the way through but thoroughly recommend so far!

Gills61 Wed 02-Jan-19 13:22:09

Becoming by Michelle Obama. Enjoying this very much and is written in such an easy to read style.

Conni7 Wed 02-Jan-19 13:25:53

I'm waiting for the next Lucinda Riley sister. Is it out yet? I think we've had five already.

nettyandmasey Wed 02-Jan-19 13:30:53

I havé just started The Stranger Diaries by Ella Griffiths. A stand-alone book. Her series set in Norfolk about Dr Ruth Galloway forensic archaeologist and Detective Harry Nelson are excellent.

SueDonim Wed 02-Jan-19 13:31:25

Yet you have time to waste by commenting on a thread you're not interested in, Mabon? confused

I'm now reading Laurie Lee's A Village Christmas.

bonji Wed 02-Jan-19 13:31:38

I’m a bit confused here - DH says it doesn’t take much! I joined the other forum on reading 50 books a year but this seems to be another on reading 50 books or fewer in a year. Not sure if I read 50 but always have a book ‘on the go’ so will comment on what I have on either forum. At present reading The Married Girls by Diney Costeloe - a light read which I am enjoying. These days I only read for pleasure so most of my books are ‘light reads’, not like DH who only reads non-fiction, but so interesting to hear about what you are all reading. Just off to the library to see what’s available today.

annodomini Wed 02-Jan-19 13:35:36

Only fifty? grin