Gransnet forums

Books/book club

Books to read during self-isolation

(93 Posts)
NatashaGransnet (GNHQ) Fri 27-Mar-20 15:35:47

Hi all, smile

With social distancing and self-isolation, many of us now have more time on our hands than before. If you're looking for some entertainment, we've put together this page with HarperCollins on their recommended reads while you're stuck inside.

We also want to hear what books you'd recommend to gransnetters who are in isolation. Whether it's a gripping thriller or a forgotten classic, leave your suggestions on this thread.

And don't forget to come back and let us know if you read a good book over the coming weeks. flowers

annodomini Mon 17-Aug-20 11:22:07

That should say 'Oryx and Crake'

annodomini Mon 17-Aug-20 11:21:27

Just finished the 3rd volume of Margaret Atwood's Orris and Crake trilogy. It's a very intriguing read, and characters appear and reappear at different times and in different roles. I won't give any spoilers, except to say that if you finish the first book, you will probably feel you have to read the next two.

Jumblygran Mon 17-Aug-20 10:44:38

I am reading Hamnet by Maggie O’Farrell if you have finished all the Hilary Mantel books it is a good one to read. Hamnet was Will Shakespeares son.
The Murmur of Bees by Sofia Segovia.
I have also been re reading some of the old Alexander McCall Smith Philosophy Club books.

lovebeigecardigans1955 Mon 17-Aug-20 10:20:46

I'm over halfway through the second volume of a book which has been on my shelf for a few years now and I'm trawling through it, "Les Miserables" which is probably one of the 'heaviest' books I've ever attempted. The author goes off at tangents for whole sections - the first about the Battle of Waterloo is interesting, but others aren't so much (although they set the scene) and I must admit that I've skimmed these as they do nothing to drive the plot forward.

Many an agent would say, "Mr Hugo, we need to edit." I'll choose something lighter for my next choice.

henetha Mon 17-Aug-20 10:06:54

I'm just reading "Between the Stops; The View of My Life"
by Sandi Toksvig. For anyone interested in the history of London it's wonderful. It's also about Sandi's life and is very
funny. She's a genius.
Also, anything at all by Bill Bryson, another genius.

Susanarscott Mon 17-Aug-20 09:51:24

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

wiggys52 Fri 07-Aug-20 05:37:30

Definitely second reading 'Gone with the Wind'. First read it when I was 14/15 and loved it ever since.
Recently read 'The Choke' by Sophie Laguna
'The Nowhere Child' by Christian White
'The Last Voyage of Mrs. Henry Parker' by Joanna Neil and any of Liz Byrski's books

LCoy Thu 06-Aug-20 10:19:29

I absolutely love this thread and making notes as we speak. I have been reading a lot of Agatha Christie. I am also reading a lot of Calculus books especially primers as I have begun tutoring again for some extra income. I taught my grandkids for a while and thought as someone with a Mathematics degree, I could surely tutor more people. Figuring online platforms now.

frankie74 Tue 04-Aug-20 13:41:44

Why not try out a new writer, much acclaimed. She is Beth Morrey and her debut novel is Saving Missy (Harper Collins). It's right in there for GNetters. Google or look up reviews on Amazon. Too good to miss, it's a touching tale of how surprise friendship can overcome loneliness and isolation. Inspiring and beautifully written

Bargar Tue 04-Aug-20 09:44:09

Has anyone mentioned Anne Tyler? Love her books...OH says 'nothing happens', but that's what everyday life is like!

Furret Wed 06-May-20 20:37:54

That sounds like my kind of book Greenfinch I’ve just downloaded it into my kindle.

Alishka Wed 06-May-20 20:26:01

Might have said this before, but it's worth repeating, and anyway the title's apt for today - Gabriel Garcia Marquez Love In the Time of Cholera - a love story stretching over 50+years where the couple meet,part,marry others,then finally get back together again in old age..
Have loved it for yearssmile

Lupin Wed 06-May-20 13:23:24

Another vote for The Salt Path by Raynor Winn, and Any Human Heart by William Boyd. Have not long read Love is Blind by William Boyd which was almost as good as Any Human Heart.
Have just finished, for book group, Surfacing by Kathleen Jamie. It's non fiction - a collection of essays about her travels and working on archaeological digs. It was read on Radio 4, and I felt compelled to listen, but then missed most of it.. An ideal lockdown book. I feel that I have travelled with her.
I love the Shardlake books by C.J.Sansom and have Hilary Mantel's The Mirror and The Light in my sights. The first two of this Thomas Cromwell series were awesome.
If you like a timeslip novel I have enjoyed all those by Susanna Kearsley.
Thanks for all the recommendations. Book heaven.

MaryGrand Sun 03-May-20 11:00:01

I love Agatha Christie books and have read and re read most! Love the Miss Marple books, Bertram's Hotel my favourite.

Greenfinch Sat 02-May-20 14:18:49

The House between the Tides by Sarah Maine.
It is set in the Hebrides on a tiny bit of land that is cut off completely at high tide. The action moves back and forth .Some of it happens in 1910 and some in 2010. It is a murder mystery but so much more than that. Both the plot and the characterisation are good.

NotAGran55 Fri 01-May-20 07:34:00

Another vote for the audible version of Where the Crawdads sing by Delia Owen .

Stunning book and narration. My book of the year so far .

GrannyLiz1946 Fri 01-May-20 06:35:17

I have just finished “American Dirt” by Jeanine Cummins on audio. Absolutely gripping. It certainly makes me feel how fortunate I have been to live in peacetime in a safe society. The Audible version is terrific especially for pronunciation of the sprinklings of Spanish.

For something gentler I enjoyed “Olive Again” sequel to “Olive Kitteridge” which takes us into Olive’s old age.( Elizabeth Proust)

almostelderly Mon 27-Apr-20 12:14:33

Greyduster, 'Silence of the Girls' is on my lockdown list along with 'Circe' by Madeline Miller. I have just finished Paris Echo' by Sebastian Faulks and am confused by the second half of the tale! I would recommend Donna Tart for long reads. 'The Secret History' and ' The Goldfinch'.

Busybee37 Mon 27-Apr-20 07:33:05

A Gentleman in Moscow by Amor Towles, which is beautifully written. I've read it twice, once two years ago and again recently for book club and would highly recommend it. His other book Rules of Civility is good too.

Alishka Sun 26-Apr-20 00:19:05

I've just finished Five Quarters of an Orange by Joanne Harris, which combines both my love of France and my love of foodsmile
And I've picked out from my shelves Love in the Time of Cholera by Gabriel Garcia Marquez, which seems quite apt just nowgrin to start tomorrow.

Greyduster Sat 25-Apr-20 12:15:03

Almostelderly, I like Pat Barker too. Have you read “Silence of the Girls”?

Atqui Fri 24-Apr-20 21:34:01

Just finished audiobook Where the Crawdads sing bybDelia Owen. Husband and I both loved it (/which is unusual).Its one of the best books I’ve ‘read’ for ages. Also Ian Mccewans (sp?) Machines like me.Both unput downable

Jane10 Sun 12-Apr-20 11:25:02

I enjoy some of the books by 'forgotten' writers. I recently enjoyed several by Dorothy Whipple. A different time but the characters and settings were compelling.

oldgimmer1 Sun 12-Apr-20 08:09:57

So many great ideas.

I've read Mirror and Light, a biography of Cromwell by Tracy Borman and I'm partway through a biog of Marie Colvin, which I'm not enjoying.

I'm looking forward to the new Simon Serrailer in paperback and also the new Alison Weir novel of Katherine Howard.

I'm very grateful to the Kindle at the moment. Currently reading a biog of Diana, Princess of Wales by Sarah Bradford which I'm really enjoying.

Lockdown has its compensations. smile

Willow500 Sun 12-Apr-20 06:59:30

I am reading the Shipyard Girls books by Nancy Revell - on book 5 how. Stories of a group of women who worked as welders in the Sunderland shipyards during WW2. Coming from up that way it feels nostalgic although I obviously wasn't around during the war. In today's climes it has a certain parallel sad