Gransnet forums

Books/book club

Book group concept discussion thread

(40 Posts)
ElderlyPerson Tue 14-Sep-21 22:14:32

In the fourth post in the thread

www.gransnet.com/forums/other_subjects/1300942-Interesting-items-that-arise-off-main-topic-in-other-threads

Silverbridge wonders about a book group for people to read a book then discuss it.

How about, to get started, the audiobook of E. M. Forster's The Machine Stops.

There are various versions on YouTube, one of them may be an abridged version.

If people are interested we could have a separate thread for that work and use this thread to discuss the idea of such a book group and choose a book.

FannyCornforth Wed 15-Sep-21 11:43:50

PS but not until later as real life and Ocado beckon!

hollysteers Fri 24-Sep-21 13:55:04

I’m in a Bookgroup which is comprised of men and women, which I like. It gives a good balance. We really do discuss the book whereas my sister was in two all women groups and they just seemed to cursorily dismiss the book and crack open the wine lol.

MayBeMaw Fri 24-Sep-21 13:58:51

I might be in the wrong place - when is it going to start, my wine is getting warm! grin

Pittcity Fri 24-Sep-21 14:03:08

I miss the GN book of the month. I used to win a book quite regularly and it introduces me to a lot of new authors.

I also belonged to a real life book group before Covid. We borrowed library books to discuss over coffee and I miss that too.
I'll take a look at this one.

Whiff Sun 03-Oct-21 09:23:52

I have toyed with the idea of joining a book club the only problem would be doubt if they would like my type of book. Also would hate having to read a set book.

I was brought Gone girl and Girl on a train. Hated both books but because people had chosen them for me felt I had to read them through. They then went straight to the charity shop.

Casdon Sun 03-Oct-21 09:34:27

Isn’t that the whole point of a Book Club though Whiff? To read books that others recommend and love widens your horizons and gives you food for thought, even though you don’t actively enjoy them all? At least, that what I’d assumed, I’m expecting to read books I wouldn’t normally choose.

Early Sun 03-Oct-21 09:52:04

Sometimes books you don't enjoy can stimulate a good discussion. Someone chose JoJo Moyes After You for a group I was in. As it's a sequel I read Me Before You too.

Now, I know that JJM is immensely popular but I disiked her writing and her cliched and sometimes unbelieveable plotting.

I was expecting to go along to the meet and find I was alone but it turned out that about half the group also disliked the book(s). We spent a very good evening discussing why were were so polarized.

toscalily Sun 03-Oct-21 10:01:41

I agree, good to be pushed out of your reading comfort zone sometimes. Also, you may get, a quarter or half way through and feel you really cannot be bothered to finish but that is also relevant and your reasons not to continue can be brought into the conversation and discussed.

Whiff Sun 03-Oct-21 10:21:20

I am now 63 and after reading all my life various types of books. From Dickens, Thomas Hardy and others from that time. Agatha Christie,PD James, Dick Francis and the like. I have found authors I like and enjoy re reading their books.

I like mainly fantasy by authors Lilith Saintcrow,Kelley Armstrong, Keri Arthur and the like. Also horror favourite author is James Herbert. Detective novels by Ann Cleves ,Ian Rankin and Ian Childs. To name but a few.

If people buy me books I will always read them even if I hate them as they have chosen them for me.

So a book club would not be for me.

MayBeMaw Sun 03-Oct-21 10:28:27

Our book group finds regularly that when we all enjoy the book, discussion can sometimes fizzle out as we run out of things to say! Not the case with Hamnet though, we were all very glad we had read it and (in some cases) persevered even when it became emotionally draining.
Sometimes my heart sinks at a book choice though, there are “fashionable” books which apparently “everybody is reading”, often first novels which frankly I can do without. I will give most things a try, but if I am not engaged by about page 100, or if it is clunkily written, I have no compunction about giving up. Life is too short and I have too many books on my BTR (books to read) pile.

toscalily Sun 03-Oct-21 10:48:47

Up until a few years ago I always felt I had to finish a book, that I was somehow failing if I did not read to the end. Now I don't, like you MayBeMaw I realised life is too short and there are so many books on so many subjects that I want to read, enjoy and appreciate.

Casdon Sun 03-Oct-21 11:36:53

I agree toscalily, as you said there’s no shame giving up part way through if you don’t like it. I’m willing to give most things a go for the first few chapters, but not to read something I hate for the sake of it. A comfort zone challenge for me and others who join in.

Early Sun 03-Oct-21 12:14:52

I must admit, I am a perseverer especially if it is a book that has won awards. I want to know why.

Once, I found a note in a library book which said: Keep going. It does get better!

SueDonim Sun 03-Oct-21 14:14:10

I’ve read some amazing books via book groups that I would never have picked up out of my own volition. I think most of my book group friends would say the same. It’s part of the reason we’re in a group, I guess, we want our boundaries pushed. Not everyone does, of course, and that’s fine too.

The best discussions are provoked when a book is divisive. When we all love/hate a book, there’s not much to say.

I find it hard to give up on a book. I’m currently 80% through a book and am so ? with it but I also want to know what happens! It could have said the same in half the length, I think.