Gransnet forums

Books/book club

Detective books recommendations please

(93 Posts)
Quokka Sat 07-Jan-23 15:12:07

Love a good ‘who dun it?’ but beginning to think I’ve read them all. Particularly enjoy a series that I can get my teeth into.

Nothing better than discovering a new previously undiscovered set.

essjay Sat 07-Jan-23 15:16:26

have you tried J D Robb(aka Nora Roberts). She writes the Death in series, they are set in the future but are still a good detective/who dun it.

Kim19 Sat 07-Jan-23 15:20:21

Quintin Jardine for me. His series of Bob Skinner as detective are wonderful. Think we're up to book 25 now. Obviously better to start from the beginning.

Ilovecheese Sat 07-Jan-23 15:22:22

Elly Griffiths
Kate Ellis

pascal30 Sat 07-Jan-23 15:24:45

Arnaldur Indridason

CyberBug123 Sat 07-Jan-23 15:33:08

Sue Grafton's alphabet books

sodapop Sat 07-Jan-23 15:34:31

For something a little different try the Washington Poe series by MW Craven or the Ridpath books by MJ Lee.

1summer Sat 07-Jan-23 15:43:48

Have you tried
L J Ross - DCI Ryan series
Alex Pine
Shari Lapena

1summer Sat 07-Jan-23 15:52:29

Or
RC Bridgestock - DI Jack Dylan series or DI Charley Mann series

Gardenersdelight Sat 07-Jan-23 15:58:10

Ian rankin rebus series over 30 books
Peter Robinson inspector Banks series
Peter James Roy Grace novels
Anne Cleeves both shetland and Vera plus a new detective set in devon
Plus many others I can't remember so may be back with more wink

Severnsider Sat 07-Jan-23 16:02:32

For something completely different

Cadfael series by Ellis Peters

Medieval who-dunnits set in the 12th century.

Aveline Sat 07-Jan-23 16:17:53

Caron Allan's Dottie Manderson books are really good. Set in the 30s with excellent period detail.

Gardenersdelight Sat 07-Jan-23 16:34:54

Said I'd be back
Val mcDermid dies several series
I've also recently discovered Robert Bryndza DCI Erika Forster

Gala Sat 07-Jan-23 16:36:56

I can also recommend Brother Cadfael, Rebus, The ABC series by Sue Grafton, JD Robb Death in... series.

Sister Fidelma series by Peter Tremayne
Set in mid 7th century Ireland Sister Fidelma is also an advocate of the ancient Irish courts & gets in some right scrapes

Marcus Didius Falco series by Lindsay Davies set in Ancient Rome

Dave Robineaux series set in present day Louisiana by James Lee Burke

Charlie Parker (Private Investigator) series set in present day North America with a supernatural twist by John Connolly

Anything by Val McDermid

Charleygirl5 Sat 07-Jan-23 16:45:07

I have only read one of Neil Lncaster's but I could not put the book down. It is set in Scotland.

Charleygirl5 Sat 07-Jan-23 16:45:32

Lancaster

MrsKen33 Sat 07-Jan-23 16:55:45

One of my favourites are Susan Hill’s. Simon Serrallier books

Fairislecable Sat 07-Jan-23 16:57:00

I have really enjoyed Cara Hunter -DI Fawley series I think there are 4 so far.

They are set in Oxford but it’s not about the University it’s more the real life people.

The first one is Close To Home.

Davida1968 Sat 07-Jan-23 17:01:21

Martin Edwards. He writes his own books & also edits an excellent series of books of short stories, written by a range of "detective" writers, many from the "golden age" of detective fiction. E.g: "Murder at the Manor; Country House Mysteries". I've borrowed these from my local library and have enjoyed them.

ExperiencedNotOld Sat 07-Jan-23 17:02:07

Peter May - a series set in the Western Isles and another series set in France, both excellent. There’s another Hong King based but I’ve not read them.
And if you’ve not read them already, The Tudor period Shardlake books, outstandingly good.

jude2006 Sat 07-Jan-23 17:04:14

Have you tried Donna Leon's books, set in Venice, and featuring Commissario Brunetti?
They are wonderful, and not only centred at the police station (or Questura) but they also feature members of his family and his home life, all whilst set in the most wonderful surroundings.

Fairislecable Sat 07-Jan-23 17:12:12

If you have not read C J Sansom - Shardlake series you are in for a real treat.

Set in Tudor times Shardlake is a lawyer and there is always intrigue and who dunnits.

Kalu Sat 07-Jan-23 17:16:42

I have read all Patricia Cornwell’s Kay Scarpetta series. Scarpetta is a medical examiner and the crimes are set in Richmond, Virginia. Gripping page turners.

nadateturbe Sat 07-Jan-23 17:29:58

My OH loves Ian Rankin, Anne Cleeves, Jack Reacher books

Blondiescot Sat 07-Jan-23 17:33:34

Ian Rankin, Quintin Jardine, Val McDermid, JD Robb, James Oswald, Stuart MacBride, Karin Slaughter...
Oh, and Doug Johnstone's Skelf series is excellent - set in Edinburgh, about a family of women who run a funeral director's but also do private investigation on the side.