Gransnet forums

Care & carers

PIP - the dreaded face to face interview

(68 Posts)
HootyMcOwlface Sun 08-Apr-18 20:57:00

My husband has had a letter from Capita saying they are coming to the house the week after next for a face to face interview regarding his PIP application ( he currently gets DLA). Has anyone been through it and if so any advice? I feel terribly anxious about it.

HootyMcOwlface Fri 20-Apr-18 21:42:53

lemongrove Exactly! Husband loves to show off and says he can do all sorts when he can do very little at all. I had to chip in a bit so hopefully the assessor believes me and the evidence we submitted.

HootyMcOwlface Fri 01-Jun-18 17:40:18

UPDATE: We have had the letter with the result back from the assessment and he is to transfer onto PIP at what looks like similar payments to his DLA. However, a couple of the assessment scorings are totally wrong - no points for administering medication - if I didn’t give it to him he wouldn’t be able to get it himself; and no points for making or planning a journey - he is totally not safe on his own, he would not stop at pedestrian crossings or look for dropped kerbs, he would just keep going! He has no idea of where anywhere is either and goes in the wrong direction! Anyway, I don’t suppose it is worth the hassle challenging these as he gets enough points overall to qualify for his PIP.

HAZBEEN Sat 02-Jun-18 13:06:55

Thats great news Hooty! Unfortunately my DGS is still waiting for his Tribuneral hearing, his appointment for March was postponed (no Doctor for the panel) and he hasnt got a new date yet. It will be 1 year in July since they stopped his DLA! My DD is really struggling to make ends meet as she lost his DLA, disabled child tax credits, carers allowance etc. she now has to sign on but couldnt take a job anyway because he cant be left alone and and doesnt interact with anyone else. The Job Centre are starting to hassle her so I can only hope something happens soon.

HootyMcOwlface Mon 04-Jun-18 20:49:57

Oh Hazbeen, that is awful. Could you complain to your MP and see if he/she could help?

lemongrove Mon 04-Jun-18 21:43:47

Glad it was good news Hooty ??

maryeliza54 Mon 04-Jun-18 21:48:35

HAZ does your dd use MN - there are regular threads on there about all the issues around benefits and disabled children. There’s lots of sound advice and support from people in exactly her situation - I’m so sorry - this is I could think of to say to you.

HAZBEEN Tue 05-Jun-18 10:48:58

Thanks maryeliza. She isnt on MN. She phone the Tribuneral office yesterday but they just say there is no time limit for when an appeal will be heard! She has to sign on tomorrow and of course they will again question her reasons for limiting her job search. Its made worse by the fact she lives "up in the hills" so employment is limited anyway!

glammanana Tue 05-Jun-18 11:04:17

Hooty It certainly sounds as though your OH should have been awarded the higher band for his personal safety and medicine administration,you can apply for a review as far as I know but how long it would take I'm not sure but its well worth a try.
When my sister went for her assessment the Nurse based her finding on none use of her left arm when in fact it was her right arm that had the problem so they do get things wrong sometimes.Her advisor at CAB had the report amended and she was granted the higher rate back paid from her original report so it is worthwhile getting it looked at.

NanaandGrampy Tue 05-Jun-18 13:04:58

Quick question from me, I’m currently filling in the paperwork to attempt to transfer to PiP . If the assessment is at home, is my husband expected to be there as well as me the claimant? Anyone know?

HAZBEEN Tue 05-Jun-18 14:54:50

My OH made a point to be at my home assessment but he wasnt asked anything. I suppose it demands on your disability and level of care needed. By the way I was told the assesser should not ask to look round your home at adaptions etc as they couldnt do that at a centre based one, but my assesser used the bathroom and went in the kitchen to speak to my OH so obviously did look around! She remarked on my shower stool in the wetroom and how maybe I needed another grab rail!

davidmorgan Mon 25-Feb-19 13:50:06

Message deleted by Gransnet for breaking our forum guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

Cherrytree59 Mon 25-Feb-19 14:06:19

Reported

Luckygirl Mon 25-Feb-19 14:16:59

I did not get Blue Badge because the assessor said I was not in enough pain - how does she know how much pain I am in? I was told beforehand to big it all up but that seemed so wrong to me.

The badge would make a massive difference to me, because I cannot walk at all without pain, and it worsens the farther I have to walk from the car.

M0nica Mon 25-Feb-19 18:10:11

Appeal. It is a hassle but never take rejection, just argue

GabriellaG54 Sun 21-Apr-19 00:00:59

valeriej43
I very much doubt that there is more help, financial or otherwise, for alcoholics and drug addicts than for anyone with other 'disabilities' or illnesses.
I know for a fact that the system is just as fraught with hoops to be jumped through and difficulties with suitable housing, help with their addictions and payments.
For one thing, they have to be clean for 3 months to even be considered and that's before the paperwork and hoops.

GabriellaG54 Sun 21-Apr-19 00:07:24

FYI: I have legally represented a number of persons in the above brackets so I can vouch for the above statement.

GabriellaG54 Sun 21-Apr-19 00:15:03

I think, given the rising number of people on some sort of disability/care/tax benefits, that assessors have to follow stringent rules as people can and do exaggerate and some even tell outright lies.
It might only be a few people in the great scheme of things but it is taxpayers money, often paid out over a prolonged period of time.
The majority are probably totally honest but the few who are not, spoil it for the many who are.
I'm quite surprised to read that there are so many GNs themselves or with relatives who require this assistance.