Gransnet forums

Care & carers

I think I am losing her.

(35 Posts)
millymouge Sat 02-Feb-19 22:25:47

I know many others have the same problem, I suppose I just want to have a moan about the unfairness of life. My sister is 10 years older than me, she had responsible jobs in her life, as a nursing sister and later a probation officer. She never married, cared for our mother for several years until she died and for several years after had a happy social life.
It was about 12years ago her health started to cause problems. Arthritis in her spine, and then general poor health. About 8 years ago we found she was unable to care for herself alone in her home as her mental state was becoming frail She lived very close to us so I was able to be there for her. But things got worse, we were needing 4 carers a day plus me full time. I was being called several times in the night as well, and 18 months ago it got to the state that I couldn't cope any more and she agreed to go into a home. She does have excellent care, but her mental state is declining quite rapidly. She has all the medication she can get to help, but she, as she was, is slipping away. I get many phone calls, she can find my number on her phone, telling me strange things, and when we visit it is the same. It is just so very sad that someone, for some strange reason has gone like this. Life is very cruel sometimes.

Bellanonna Sun 03-Mar-19 09:35:18

Heartfelt condolences from me too, millymouge.

Grannybags Sun 03-Mar-19 10:01:32

flowers

Harris27 Sun 03-Mar-19 10:09:16

I send you my heartfelt condolences. I saw mum yesterday and she is so unwell and bag of bones I sometimes cry in the car park wondering how much more she can take. You have been a good sister and she is now at peace. Remember the good times sending you ahug?

Willow500 Sun 03-Mar-19 10:09:23

So sad flowers

Dawn22 Sun 03-Mar-19 21:46:05

At least you love your sister and have a good relationship with her all your life. That in itself is a blessing. My sister's are two dragons and l don't like them. Feel sad about it always.

Bathsheba Sun 03-Mar-19 21:53:18

Such a very sad story. My most heartfelt condolences to you milly flowers

Cherrytree59 Sun 03-Mar-19 21:54:40

Losing a lovely sister is so very sad milliemouge My heart felt condolences.thanks

Buffybee Sun 03-Mar-19 21:57:28

I'm so sorry for your loss. flowers

GrandmainOz Sun 03-Mar-19 22:01:28

So very sorry for your sad loss, you poor thingflowers