Gransnet forums

Care & carers

Ed Balls Crisis in Care.

(157 Posts)
Dorsetcupcake61 Tue 09-Nov-21 09:59:42

Did anyone watch this on TV last night?
I described very well the crisis in social care and showed the dedication of the carers in what is an underpaid and devalued job.
What surprises me most is the lack of comments on social media. I know we cant go on that alone but it sometimes feels as though no one cares about care,either the staff or residents!

Calistemon Tue 09-Nov-21 10:03:47

We've recorded it so will be better able to comment later.

Yes, I am very concerned about this.

Nonogran Tue 09-Nov-21 10:09:13

It was compelling & terrifying viewing. I hope it starts a massive conversation about pay for professional carers in line with NHS pay bands, career progression & training & government intervention to shake up the entire care system.
Makes me so afraid of getting older.

Germanshepherdsmum Tue 09-Nov-21 10:10:14

We have recorded it too. Let’s hope it opens some eyes. I like Ed Balls, good humoured and not afraid to get stuck in.

dragonfly46 Tue 09-Nov-21 10:11:21

I often think Ed Balls and Yvette Cooper should run the country!

Dorsetcupcake61 Tue 09-Nov-21 10:11:37

Calistermon I look forward to seeing your comments. There have been frequent articles about the crisis in care,not to mention the large amount of deaths due to Covid. It just feels as though people glance up momentarily comment how dreadful it is and then carry on with their lives. Society feels very callous!

Calmlocket Tue 09-Nov-21 10:13:40

I didnt watch it, every year the government have been saying theres money for the care system but it never reaches it as its so far down the list and gets side-lined. These issues still havent been addressed;
Underfunding – since 2010 the state has cut its spending on adult social care by £86 million despite a rapidly increasing demand because of our ageing population
Postcode lottery – despite the 2014 Care Act introducing a national system of eligibility, local variation is still leaving many older people without any support
Unmet need –1.6 million people aged 65+ don't receive the care and support they need with essential living activities
Declining access – cuts in local authority care services have placed increasing pressure on unpaid carers.

Soroptimum Tue 09-Nov-21 10:20:11

Excellent if not depressing programme. Such a broken system and no real solution in sight. Ed Balls was great, his communication skills were in evidence as he genuinely cared for the elderly residents.
I agree with dragonfly46, but don’t want to get political smile

winterwhite Tue 09-Nov-21 10:28:24

Good for Ed Balls. I watched it and it was painful viewing. I'd like to think that many MPs watched it too and will say so loud and clear. That's what it will take to make anything happen.

timetogo2016 Tue 09-Nov-21 10:30:10

I quite like Ed Balls,and he has actualy got some.
I shall be watching it at some point.

LadyGracie Tue 09-Nov-21 10:30:34

DH and I watched it, it wasn't an eye opener for us to see the true dedication and compassion of the carers, my father and DHs mother both had dementia and the carers were so patient and 'caring'.
Carers are definitely undervalued and underpaid, present and past governments have promised action but they're hollow words.
I dread getting old.
I was shocked to hear the family of one elderly gentleman who had had to sell his house and in 3 years had paid £582,00 for his care.

kittylester Tue 09-Nov-21 10:30:50

dragonfly46

I often think Ed Balls and Yvette Cooper should run the country!

I think so too!!

trisher Tue 09-Nov-21 10:32:30

I don't need to watch a programme about it. I know that there are people who can't get carers. I know there are care agencies which have been condemned by the CQC but which are still fuctioning because they are needed. That those agencies "cook the books" to show they are doing more than they actually are, and that people are sometimes left sitting up all night because their evening carer never came. The exodus of foreigners after Brexit meant hundreds of care staff went home. Given the level of pay and the lack of recognition care work isn't seen as a great career.

winterwhite Tue 09-Nov-21 10:43:49

Yes, but trisher, plenty of people don't know all that, and for plenty of others it goes in at one ear and comes out of the other. The programme was for them, and for the millions of others who've never given the care crisis any thought at all. Let's hope that now some of them will be sitting up and taking more notice.

maddyone Tue 09-Nov-21 10:55:48

I didn’t watch the programme but I’m well aware of the crisis in the care system.

Brocky Tue 09-Nov-21 11:07:46

I agree with Nonogran. Everything she has written describes how my husband and I felt after watching the programme. My husband is 86 yrs.old and has to do so much for me, I am 83yrs old and waiting for replacement shoulder and replacement knees, must be patient with waiting for a date. Have to have shoulder done first, then build up strength to use sticks to assist walking after knees are done.

Hetty58 Tue 09-Nov-21 11:18:34

Soroptimum, you 'don’t want to get political' - whyever not? It's an absolute disgrace, don't you think, in a rich country, that resources for care have been plummeting (in real terms) since at least 2010?

Until you (or a relative) need care, you assume that things are working, or at least ticking over, but they're not. All behind closed doors, out of sight and out of mind.

Luckygirl Tue 09-Nov-21 12:07:04

I was appalled that the very sick man - in bed and in need of 24 hour observation - was refused for continuing health care funding - what a farce!

I was also very puzzled that this man, who kept falling out of bed and injuring himself, did not have the bedsides up.

When I compare this home physically to the nursing home where my OH spent his last months I am glad that I spent a fortune on his care - he was in homely room with a bed that looked like an ordinary divan (but in fact had all the bells and whistles), carpeted room, nice built-in bedroom furniture - the surroundings were lovely. A comfortable and homely place to be.

And any activities were high quality - not like the ghastly man trying to do an Elvis impersonation - it was cringe-worthy. Why should people have to have such rubbish inflicted on them just because they are incapacitated?

The whole business of care of the disabled and elderly is in a total mess. And does our government give a toss........?

dragonfly46 Tue 09-Nov-21 12:16:11

My dad was in care for 2 and a half years and my mum for 4 years and between them they spent £312,000. My mum's care was the most expensive as she had severe dementia.
Btw it was my dad's choice that they went into care.

Lincslass Tue 09-Nov-21 12:29:42

www.theguardian.com/society/2019/sep/19/84-of-care-home-beds-in-england-owned-by-private-firms, therein lies a problem. Profit before people, they have to provide all items for their establishment. At 3000 per month for each resident x 40 is a huge amount of money. Would like someone to point out where it all goes.

Germanshepherdsmum Tue 09-Nov-21 13:12:10

I would rather die than go into a care home and that’s precisely what I intend.

Casdon Tue 09-Nov-21 13:15:51

Simply speaking Linclass a care home with 40 residents would need approximately the same number of staff. Including care staff, cleaners, catering staff, handyman etc. Average £3000 salary per month each before tax, plus employers contribution to pensions etc.. That doesn’t factor in wear and repair, electricity etc., rates, maintenance of the building, food and consumables etc.

kircubbin2000 Tue 09-Nov-21 13:31:09

I remember a neighbour who didnt have the bed sides up either.It was considered that it would limit her freedom and rights.
Someone must have pulled them up later for she became entangled in the bars and the fire brigade were called to release her.

grannysyb Tue 09-Nov-21 13:35:41

We thought that it was an excellent programme. Am I right in thinking that any form of dementia is not classified as an illness? When DHs sister was dying from a brain tumour, she had carers going in four times a day the state paid for it, her son was shocked to hear that if she had alzheimer's she would have had to pay.

Dorsetcupcake61 Tue 09-Nov-21 13:42:05

I was shocked when looking into who owned the care home my daughter worked for how many were large corporations who also owned restaurant chains. Residents are commodities.
For a few years I worked in a privately owned home,part of a group of 5. Yes,staff costs are expensive. With regards to the rest everything was done as cheaply as possible. The only time there was any sign of luxury was when there was announced CQC visit. If it wasnt so heartbreaking it would be funny. Ooh chocolate biscuits and new towels to replace the threadbare ones! A glance at the owners Instagram page would make me see the,he had frequent luxury holidays and an excessive collection of luxury cars.
This was one of the better care homes but in no way was it value for money for the residents.
The staff were often under 30. They worked 12 hour shifts with a one hour unpaid lunch. No sick pay. No rights. Worked every other weekend and xmas/ new year. It is an incredibly skilled job made harder by almost permenant staff shortages. That said I was touched by the love and dedication of these young people. Career progression is limited,you may become a head of care or deputy but for very little extra money but tremendous extra responsibility.
What makes it even more infuriating is the billions this government has wasted in the past year alone.
It's a complex situation. Social care needs taking apart,putting back together and strictly regulating. It should not be profit based.
Unfortunately to many greedy people are lining their pockets. Sadly most people are unaware of the situation until the need arises to access it.
I genuinely wonder what it will take for the general public to demand change. If the past 18months havent nudged peoples conscience I dont know what will!