Gransnet forums

Chat

Private Messaging

(92 Posts)
Learnergran Mon 04-Feb-13 10:28:24

Just a thought, up for discussion.
It strikes me that much of the recent brouhaha on GN is caused by and fuelled by private messaging. Thus the reason why so few of us know what is going on until it erupts yet again.
I myself have been greatly comforted by some private messages. But I have to say that PMing can also seem to have such destructive results.
Any thoughts?

Sel Mon 04-Feb-13 16:50:29

Movedalot Star DH smile

Sadly I feel the need too to say I have not received or sent any nasty messages but from reading this thread can probably deduce what happened and why. Naming no names leads to speculation.

I have no wish to ressurect the argument but would say the sweeping of stuff under the mat doesn't make it disappear.

It's very sad when good people feel the only way is to disappear - I think I'm more of the 'won't be driven off' mentality.

soop Mon 04-Feb-13 16:50:52

...yep! smile

soop Mon 04-Feb-13 16:52:00

That's a response to Galen's question.

Ana Mon 04-Feb-13 16:52:13

Good for you, Sel!

Galen Mon 04-Feb-13 16:53:48

Thanks soopwine

london Mon 04-Feb-13 16:54:25

Glad your still hear sel smile

Movedalot Mon 04-Feb-13 17:01:41

Hang in there Sel Yes he comes up trumps when necessary and it is necessary now while I'm pretty imobile.

Nelliemoser Mon 04-Feb-13 17:03:37

Soop Galen I am sure a cup of tea is more soothing. Alcohol can make people more angry and we wouldn't want that on this thread.

I feel like Father Ted's housekeeper now. Go on! Go on! Have a cup of tea! and there is Galen in her chair shouting "Drink"
wink wink (Please no offence! )

Galen Mon 04-Feb-13 17:58:05

I'm relaxing after a hard day listening to everyone else's problems. I very rarely get angry.
I love my drink in the evening. Sadly it's only wine as I'm on the 5-2 diet.
Mind you 3 3/4 lbs off in one week can't be bad?grin

Ariadne Mon 04-Feb-13 18:34:40

Galen wine

Galen Mon 04-Feb-13 18:36:56

Ariadnewine

Stansgran Mon 04-Feb-13 18:44:49

All day a few words kept going round my head after reading this thread. My Moroccan meatloaf is in the oven so here goes

Let the long contention cease!
Geese are swans, and swans are geese
Let them have it how they will!
Thou art tired ;best be still.

It was the first couple of lines including "let no more be said"that kept floating past.
You all saved my sanity last week when I was in the isolation unit known as the Geneva flat so keep on being interesting friendly and kind

Galen Mon 04-Feb-13 18:47:15

smile

POGS Mon 04-Feb-13 20:20:46

I have recieved very few PM's but they have never been 'nasty' nor conniving. I would have immediately notified HQ and confronted the GN member in full sight if I had. I can see how some GN get close and I should imagine there is a nice aspect to sending and giving them.

I have noted some GN have mentioned they have however recieved nasty PMs.

I am now, having just read, 'Just want to say goodbye' on the ASK A GRAN thread, wondering if the fact HQ has declared they are aware someone has been on in more than one persona with the aim of causing trouble if this is a common problem? For all we know all the GN's who have recieved one have been sent them from just one person. Just a thought.

Ana Mon 04-Feb-13 20:29:51

I think that's probably the case, POGS, but because trolling has to be treated with such secrecy, for some reason, we are told nothing by GNHQ and speculation becomes rife.

POGS Mon 04-Feb-13 21:08:07

Ana

If that's the case isn't that condoning it? I give up. confused