Gransnet forums

Chat

Going it Alone

(31 Posts)
Gally Sun 24-Mar-13 03:18:07

I've just bitten the bullet, grabbed the whatnot by its horns, taken a deep breath and booked a single ticket to see Eric Whitacre conduct the Sydney Philharmonia Symphony Chorus playing his music at the Opera House next Saturday. DD couldn't join me and my desire to hear this wonderful music outweighed my fear of going on my own. The last time I went to a concert on my own was to see the Barber of Seville in Paris in 1968! Hopefully this is a step in the right direction and will make me brave enough to do it again............shock

Ariadne Mon 25-Mar-13 09:21:08

Hello, susannah2b and welcome. You can join in any thread that takes your fancy! Enjoy it.

gally Good for you; I hope you have a great time.

Sewsilver Mon 25-Mar-13 09:22:01

Congratulations on your courage Gally. Hope you have a wonderful time

sunseeker Mon 25-Mar-13 10:49:58

Like others I hope you have a great time Gally. The hardest thing I find is walking into somewhere alone when you have been used to being part of a couple. My DH was very outgoing "life and soul of the party" type, whereas I am much quieter and shy (until I get to know you!). I am sure you will have a lovely evening.

Clytie Mon 25-Mar-13 11:01:04

Hello Gally

I'm sure you'll have a marvellous time, and I think you are very brave.

em Tue 26-Mar-13 11:06:34

Well done Gally - enjoy!
Hello Susannah. I was very involved with GN when it started up but haven't been around much because of family stuff. I sincerely hope I can get back to it as GN has proved stimulating, supportive and helpful - as well as entertaining.
I too live alone and have come to relish my independence. I wholly sympathise with those who are struggling and grieving. I didn't welcome divorce but coped and adapted. Now I wouldn't change.
I am now worrying about my DD who very recently left a dreadful relationship.
We received invitations to a family wedding the other day and when I handed hers over she looked very sad. She explained that it upset her to have an invitation which didn't include a partner, adding that I am happy on my own but she isn't. Now I'm worried that she might rush into yet another ghastly relationship just to avoid being alone.