Gransnet forums

Chat

How could a Mother do this

(56 Posts)
newist Tue 14-Jan-14 16:09:24

I have thought about posting this many times, today seems to be the day.
As a child I lived in fear, I was a little mouse, frightened of every thing and every one. If my parents didn't get me, God would, my dads family were Irish Catholics. I was such a good child, desperate to feel loved, after all if I was naughty I would be put in a home or go to hell. I had an older brother who was the apple of my mothers eye. "Children should be seen and not heard, your elders are your betters" was drummed into me. Our house was filthy, I can never remember her changing the sheets, just another sprinkling of DDT. She would sniff at me saying, your knickers smell, I only had 1 pair. if I was ill she would tell me off because she wanted to go out.
At 11, I passed the 11 plus but I could not go to the high school because i was a girl, so money had to go to help my brother in his training.
At 15 I met someone and was encouraged in this relationship to stay "pure" and very quickly after a couple of years to get married, so that no accidents could happen, I would of been put out if I got pregnant Life continued, not happily with an alcoholic husband. The joy of my life, was and is my 3 daughters. My mother was changing, borrowing the few clothes I had, it dawned on me she was having a long term affair, when I asked her, she called me every thing under the sun for thinking that about her.
The Years rolled by, she dolled out much pain, she left my dad when he had cancer and married "Her man" I was told to go away when I visited them so I never went back.
meanwhile, this is where it gets interesting...Mother and step father built a new life for themselves, Telling all neither of them had been married before, Mother was a virgin when he met her. Totally wiping out the fact that she had ever been married to my lovely dad, neither my brother or I had even been born, I forgot to mention my brother left home, I have not seen him in 40 years because of her.
One of my daughters being quite greedy and always in debt, went along with their fantasy because she had been left all in their will, she denied me and her siblings for monetary promises. My mother died then quite recently my so called step father died, my daughter, found out she was left nothing, so she wanted me to give her my parents marriage certificate, to wave it about and cause mischief, I did not give it to her so because of that I will never see my brand new GGD. I do not know yet what subject name to give this post, I shall ponder

Nelliemoser Tue 14-Jan-14 18:27:20

It sounds like a classic Philip Larkin situation.

Newist Good for you to be able to reveal this.

Given how you have described your childhood I get the impression you were brought up in a situation where you were expected to go along with believing your families lies and keeping secrets. That is a dreadful burden to lumber children with.

It is important to remember that all mothers are not wonderful. It seems that being prepared to acknowledge that, you might at least not feel guilty about how you feel about her now.

The world will not fall apart because you have told the truth about her.

Goodness know what your mother's up bringing was like probably also very difficult for her to find parenting so difficult.
I am not defending her but we are at the mercy of a lot of what we have experienced.

Do you recognise any similarities in personality between your difficult daughter and your mother?

Keep strong its a lot of stuff to deal with at once. (((hugs)))

Aka Tue 14-Jan-14 18:38:40

What a brave post and what sad childhoods so many people have. It says so much that you have all turned out to be much better mothers yourselves flowers

Lona Tue 14-Jan-14 18:38:49

Ana and Katyk flowers I am so sorry that your childhoods were so sad.
(((hugs)) to all of you

Grannyknot Tue 14-Jan-14 18:44:33

newist big hug. And as others have said, well done for not only surviving it all, but for being able to see it for what it is. I am so sorry for you that you married an alcoholic when you were so young.

Many families have skeletons that rattle. I never speak of my "father" on here (and will always put that in inverted commas) other than to mention him on occasion on here as being feckless. We were lucky that he didn't do more damage because he left when the three of us were very young. As I got older, I recognised that he never really cared about anyone other than himself and his string of conquests. I wasn't even sad when he died, if anything, I regretted having tried to get to know him better at one time.

I recently read a book, I wish I could remember which one it was I read so many, where the author's father (in that instance) also reinvented himself and made a new life as if his first family had never existed. But you're right, how could your mother do that.

In some ways it's over now with your mother dead. Close that chapter. I hope you find peace flowers.

newist Tue 14-Jan-14 18:48:49

Nellie you have hit the nail on the head in regards to my mother and daughter, they are both Drama Queens, crying at will to make you feel guilty or going to great lengths to be ill, I made my mother very ill just by asking her if she was having an affair. She had a wonderful mother, my nana who when she was alive was very upset by her daughters behaviour

Grannyknot Tue 14-Jan-14 18:57:48

So let them be ill. That's just manipulative, plain and simple.

Iam64 Tue 14-Jan-14 19:06:11

Newist, I can only echo what others have said about what a tough time you had, and hope that posting and talking about it will help.
I was struck by the similarities between your mother, and your daughter. It sounds as though you are more like your maternal nana. Most families have 'difficult' personalities in them, but I do feel for you with the similarities between your mum and your daughter.
Grannyknot's advice is good - let them be, manipulative people are so difficult to have meaningful relationships with. A bit of emotional distance from them, for you, is something to consider.

Flowerofthewest Tue 14-Jan-14 19:32:34

I think, no, know, that you are a wonderful, caring person newist I am proud to be your friend xx

NfkDumpling Tue 14-Jan-14 19:44:59

flowers Newist

I wonder, your daughter having inherited the 'Histrionics' gene, if you gave her a photocopy of the certificate she could have her way, cause a bit of angst and maybe feel better, she would make up with you and you would get to see your new DGD. BUT - would it last? How much would the way she brings her child up upset you? Would you be able to keep the peace, sit on the fence? It's nice to think you'd be there for the little girl as she grows - I know how difficult it is to live with a hysterical, manipulative mother - but what would it do to you - and your relationship with the rest of your family.
I don't know how far away your DD lives but maintaining bit of mental distance might be a good thing.

newist Tue 14-Jan-14 20:00:28

You are all so kind. Nfk When my daughter was 15 she wanted her then older boyfriend to stay overnight so they could have sex, I said No, two weeks after her 16th birthday she packed her bags without turning a hair and left. I went to the police they would do nothing, she came back all lovey dovey 3 years later "I'm getting married" I paid for most of the wedding, then off she went again, its been like that for 34years off and on. Now I have decided no more.

Ariadne Tue 14-Jan-14 20:17:11

newist I admire your strength and your courage, for posting this, for responding, as you usually do, with honesty and compassion, and for rising above all these awful happenings. You deserve better.

NfkDumpling Tue 14-Jan-14 20:26:10

Here, here.

KatyK Tue 14-Jan-14 21:21:31

Newist and everyone else suffering in this way flowers

harrigran Tue 14-Jan-14 23:47:00

newist flowers
I hope you feel better for getting it off your chest.

Thistledoo Wed 15-Jan-14 09:06:15

Newist, what a sad story. My heart goes out to you. I bet you hovered over the keyboard trying to pluck up the courage to post your story. Of course there will be bits that you have been unable to write.
I am feeling your pain today as I also lived through an abusive childhood and find it difficult to share it with anyone. I have always felt, if I revealed anything, nobody would believe me. Your story is much sadder than mine as it wasn't my mother who was my abuser but my stepmother.
Be brave, hold your head high and congratulate yourself for being a courageous SURVIVER. flowers

glammanana Wed 15-Jan-14 14:16:01

Newist Such a brave post and I bet you feel better for putting it down in words it will empower you to get on with the rest of your life hopefully without this being at the back of your mind all the time ((hugs)) to you & flowers such a brave lady.Now look forward and enjoy.

newist Wed 15-Jan-14 14:40:22

Once again, I thank each and every one of you for saying such kind things, on this thread. I can strongly recommend if anyone has long term pain from their past, to write it down, here is a good place to do that. I have always tried to keep things in different boxes in my head, mostly it works quite well, sometimes the boxes get mixed up so I have to tidy up again. This may sound a bit daft, for the want of a better word, but it works for me.
Thank You all x

gillybob Wed 15-Jan-14 14:48:09

There seems to be an awful lot of these "tragic upbringing" stories in print at the moment doesn't there? I wonder if much of the reasons they start off is as newist says it really does help to write it all down?

What a terrible childhood you had newist (and like many others have said) how brave of you to share it with us.

Not meaning to make light of what your mother did (when she remarried) but my (late) ex-(first) husband (there have been three altogether) had a nasty habit of knocking the oldest children and wives off the long list each time he remarried. At his funeral there were members of his newist family who still new nothing of either me or my son (the first) or indeed his second family either. shock

newist Wed 15-Jan-14 15:01:08

gillybob like your self I have been married 3 times, now very happily, What you have just said is very painful, to find out that you and especially your son was not recognised by his father. flowers for you

gillybob Wed 15-Jan-14 15:13:51

I do not find it painful for me at all newist It was a long time ago and I did the right thing getting out of the marriage when I did. He was a serial adulterer throughout every one of his (crikey knows how many) marriages and even his latest wife (his widow) said that she was under no illusions that he would not have eventually left her and their small daughter. At his death he had quite an important job (I dare not say where on a public forum) but wore his uniform with pride. His superior stood up and read out a eulogy describing him as a great man, a wonderful father (what??) . My son did not figure in any of this at all and was quite literally knocked off the top of the list as long forgotten.

I am very happily married too newist third time lucky for us two maybe. grin

Kiora Wed 15-Jan-14 15:47:57

Newist. I'm glad you feel better for writing it down and sharing it with us. The keeping emotions packed away in boxes is a method i'v used and advised others to use. But your right sometimes the boxes just burst open and it's difficult and painful to repack them. I think you have great fortitude. I was interested in the Idea that some of these traits are inherited. My own daughter, her aunt ( my s.i.l) and my m.i.l lives are almost a carbon copy of each other's. In short a mess. They've made the same mistakes over and over. They are the most likeable people but terrible mothers. They make the most awful decisions. I just cannot understand how their brains work. I think my poor husband had an inkling from very early on. I thought he was crazy but his fears all came to fruition. I suppose this could be the start of a discussion on the nature nurture debate! Best wishes to you newist. One last thing Newist is it easier to cope as you get older?

ffinnochio Wed 15-Jan-14 15:50:02

newist I very pleased you've found, in GN, a good place to be in order to express your difficult past, and that you've received such lovely support.

However, I feel I must say that anyone who has experienced dreadful times in their past needs to stop and consider the impact it may have on themselves and others if they decide to do so, having read your comment..... I can strongly recommend if anyone has long term pain from their past, to write it down, here is a good place to do that .

I would strongly suggest this is not always a suitable place to discuss all private and painful issues.

Ana Wed 15-Jan-14 16:09:25

Why not?

newist Wed 15-Jan-14 16:15:56

gillybob I am so glad it doesn't hurt, and like you say third time lucky.
Kiora I think when you get older, its a bit easier to put thinks in perspective.
ffinnochio you could well be right in saying its not wise to discuss private and personnel things on GN not every one would want to, but for me it helped

ffinnochio Wed 15-Jan-14 16:20:43

Because this forum is open to the whole world, and some people might not understand the full impact that might happen with difficult or painful disclosures.